Turn on thread page Beta

Okay so I'm a pretty shy guy and I need some clothing advice. I haven't swam in a while so I need to buy some new clothes. The thing is I don't want to wear trunks, I'd much rather perfer 3/4 lengths but I don't know if these exist. I've got a pvc shell-suit type bottom that's a 3/4 length, it has netting as well , would this be okay to wear. Also, I'd like to buy a top as well but apart from athletes I haven't come across one. Would a cotton t-shirt/vest be alright?

ReputationRep:
    Get some board shorts? Like these?
    Spoiler:
    Show

Or did you mean not trunks as in you want uber tight stuff? :awesome: If you're wearing something so tight on the bottom, don't wear lyrca-esque stuff on top as well. A plain cotton top, like you said, would look fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay so I'm a pretty shy guy and I need some clothing advice. I haven't swam in a while so I need to buy some new clothes. The thing is I don't want to wear trunks, I'd much rather perfer 3/4 lengths but I don't know if these exist. I've got a pvc shell-suit type bottom that's a 3/4 length, it has netting as well , would this be okay to wear. Also, I'd like to buy a top as well but apart from athletes I haven't come across one. Would a cotton t-shirt/vest be alright?
    Yes the 3/4 length ones are fine to wear for swimming. I went swimming today and there were lots of guys wearing them, including my sons and their dad. Why would you need a top to wear though.....havent seen anyone wearing them to be honest.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I wear a top for swimming sometimes. It's like a wetsuit top - try searching 'rash vest' on ebay.

(Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    Get some board shorts? Like these?
    Spoiler:
    Show

Or did you mean not trunks as in you want uber tight stuff? :awesome: If you're wearing something so tight on the bottom, don't wear lyrca-esque stuff on top as well. A plain cotton top, like you said, would look fine.
    Is there anything longer than board shorts? Just a bit longer.

I was thinking of a vest like this, maybe?

Or a t-shirt like this? Obviously it would get water logged but would that matter that much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Why do you need to wear a top to swim?
    I wouldnt if I was you, no-one I've seen does

ReputationRep:
    I seem to remember blokes not being allowed to wear shorts longer then the knee at one of my pools. Although that was a strict environment. To be honest I think the more you try to cover up in the pool the more you're likely to draw attention to yourself. Just wear a pair of board shorts; you'll be fine.

Thinking about it though; when I was in training I occasionally used my pool fully dressed, but I knew the staff. Did get myself some odd looks.

ReputationRep:
    I usually sport a nice pair of speedos.

Seriously, I'd get a pair of boardies, and maybe a vest?! I think wearing a rash vest around a swimming pool might look a bit silly...

ReputationRep:
    I'm a lifeguard and we don't let anyone in with shorts under the knee especially 3/4 length trackie bottoms, long board shorts you can get away with.

Just get some board shorts and you'll probably get some strange looks being a man wearing a top while swimming.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.