Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Okay so I'm a pretty shy guy and I need some clothing advice. I haven't swam in a while so I need to buy some new clothes. The thing is I don't want to wear trunks, I'd much rather perfer 3/4 lengths but I don't know if these exist. I've got a pvc shell-suit type bottom that's a 3/4 length, it has netting as well , would this be okay to wear. Also, I'd like to buy a top as well but apart from athletes I haven't come across one. Would a cotton t-shirt/vest be alright?

ReputationRep:
    Get some board shorts? Like these?
    Spoiler:
    Show

Or did you mean not trunks as in you want uber tight stuff? :awesome: If you're wearing something so tight on the bottom, don't wear lyrca-esque stuff on top as well. A plain cotton top, like you said, would look fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay so I'm a pretty shy guy and I need some clothing advice. I haven't swam in a while so I need to buy some new clothes. The thing is I don't want to wear trunks, I'd much rather perfer 3/4 lengths but I don't know if these exist. I've got a pvc shell-suit type bottom that's a 3/4 length, it has netting as well , would this be okay to wear. Also, I'd like to buy a top as well but apart from athletes I haven't come across one. Would a cotton t-shirt/vest be alright?
    Yes the 3/4 length ones are fine to wear for swimming. I went swimming today and there were lots of guys wearing them, including my sons and their dad. Why would you need a top to wear though.....havent seen anyone wearing them to be honest.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I wear a top for swimming sometimes. It's like a wetsuit top - try searching 'rash vest' on ebay.

(Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    Get some board shorts? Like these?
    Spoiler:
    Show

Or did you mean not trunks as in you want uber tight stuff? :awesome: If you're wearing something so tight on the bottom, don't wear lyrca-esque stuff on top as well. A plain cotton top, like you said, would look fine.
    Is there anything longer than board shorts? Just a bit longer.

I was thinking of a vest like this, maybe?

Or a t-shirt like this? Obviously it would get water logged but would that matter that much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Why do you need to wear a top to swim?
    I wouldnt if I was you, no-one I've seen does

ReputationRep:
    I seem to remember blokes not being allowed to wear shorts longer then the knee at one of my pools. Although that was a strict environment. To be honest I think the more you try to cover up in the pool the more you're likely to draw attention to yourself. Just wear a pair of board shorts; you'll be fine.

Thinking about it though; when I was in training I occasionally used my pool fully dressed, but I knew the staff. Did get myself some odd looks.

ReputationRep:
    I usually sport a nice pair of speedos.

Seriously, I'd get a pair of boardies, and maybe a vest?! I think wearing a rash vest around a swimming pool might look a bit silly...

ReputationRep:
    I'm a lifeguard and we don't let anyone in with shorts under the knee especially 3/4 length trackie bottoms, long board shorts you can get away with.

Just get some board shorts and you'll probably get some strange looks being a man wearing a top while swimming.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.