Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm an American student who just accepted accommodation in Gem House. Will anyone else be staying there this year (2009/2010)? Or has anyone got some info on the place other than what the school puts on the website? Mostly I'm curious as to whether it's clean and quiet, and what the deal is with the shared bathrooms.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    The low-rise accommodation is generally given to postgrad or final year students, and so is generally quiet. However, the walls are paper thin, so sound does travel.

And yes, in standard accommodation both kitchens and bathrooms are shared. I can't speak for gem itself, but in Bishop Ryder house it's 3 to a kitchen and 6 to a bathroom. I would imagine there would be similar ratios for other low rise.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Andrew
    I was worried we'd be mixed in with freshers. But I really hope it's 6 to a kitchen and 3 to a bathroom...

ReputationRep:
    There's nobody else here going to Gem House? I was rather hoping to "meet" a few people before arriving...

ReputationRep:
    Theres only a tiny percentage of Aston people on here, and most of those will be undergrad so it's pretty unlikely you will find a fellow Gem House lodger :/

We've had TSR meet ups in the past though, and we'll prolly have one at the start of term

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Canadian PhD student. I will be at Aston Business School and will be staying at Gem House. Get in touch Gem House Flat-mates.

ReputationRep:
    Hi anekaab,
    Good to meet another Gem Houser

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.