Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hammond said that the Renault Megane R26R with 227BHP , managed to get around the Nürburgring in a time of 8:17. I don't believe this for some reason , does anyone else ?

[EDIT] - It's apparently the fastest FWD car to get around the Nürburgring

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like nonsense to me - that's faster than an M3, a Lotus Exige S, a Porsche Caman S, etc etc...

EDIT: Though it is up on wikipedia....

Well, as a track car I guess it's not surprising. If it was a practical road car, that would be different.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think the presenters of the most popular motoring magazine will make a mistake like that. lets face it, it has NOTHING inside, its feather weight and its using semi-slicks. its even got a roll cage in the back. i dont see why the reference to the power, clearly a honda enthusiast is at work here, you saw it leave a much powerfuller car up to 120mph.

ReputationRep:
    Note that's the old M3 he's referring to.

I didn't think there was any way it could beat the new one.

ReputationRep:
    It's a very noisy, cramped, impractical looking car.

So if it's not got speed, it's got nothing, haha.

So yeah, it probably can lap the 'ring in silly times.

i wouldnt be surprised at that time.
    compared to the other cars its got nothing in it, a reinforced chasis, toyo cup tyres and bigger dampers. its set up to go round tracks not haul up and down motorways

ReputationRep:
    It's got R888's, 4 pot's and an LSD..............Course it's gonna lap the ring in stupid times.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's FWD doesn't mean to say it's not fast. It's a complete myth in this forum that FWD cars don't have the ability of RWD cars. To a degree, you can argue that it has to deal with a lot more, but put in decent stock, and the FWD car will do well.

E.g. My s2k has 40bhp more than the CTR EP3, yet in the wet (as shown by 5th gear IIRC), it beats me around a track.

Secondly and most importantly, the R26R has barely road legal tyres, which will reduce a lot of time around a very large circuit. Then you have the suspension and gearshift and scaffold rear with nothing in the the back.

Yes its quick, but not unrealistically so.
    Most complete times I've seen so far: http://www.fastestlaps.com/track2.html

ReputationRep:
    off topic a bit; why do people stick an outline of the nurburgring on the back of their cars? is this supposed to make it go faster or something? i've seen a few about.... the only one i know that is actually a nurburgring edition is one of the new vauxhall astras. but i once saw one stuck on the back of a cinquicento and thought, that can't be right...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Né Stig)
    Because it's FWD doesn't mean to say it's not fast. It's a complete myth in this forum that FWD cars don't have the ability of RWD cars. To a degree, you can argue that it has to deal with a lot more, but put in decent stock, and the FWD car will do well.

E.g. My s2k has 40bhp more than the CTR EP3, yet in the wet (as shown by 5th gear IIRC), it beats me around a track.

Secondly and most importantly, the R26R has barely road legal tyres, which will reduce a lot of time around a very large circuit. Then you have the suspension and gearshift and scaffold rear with nothing in the the back.

FWD dont have the ability of RWD cars, though. its just all wrong and all things being equal its never going to be better. FWD + performance driving = Massive Fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Né Stig)

It's not so much the fact that it's FF, it's that it has far less power than cars with slower lap times, and is not uber light like other 200 odd bhp cars that went round the ring faster. What I hadn't realised was quite how stripped down and useless it was as a road car, which is the reason for it; it's a track car in a hatchback's clothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    off topic a bit; why do people stick an outline of the nurburgring on the back of their cars? is this supposed to make it go faster or something? i've seen a few about.... the only one i know that is actually a nurburgring edition is one of the new vauxhall astras. but i once saw one stuck on the back of a cinquicento and thought, that can't be right...
    Its simply put on to say that you've driven the circuit.
    As for the VXR - not so. It's just they're called that as the special edition.

(Original post by Lara C.)
    FWD dont have the ability of RWD cars, though. its just all wrong and all things being equal its never going to be better. FWD + performance driving = Massive Fail.
    FWD isn't as fast, but can be faster in wet conditions as understeer is easier to deal with than the type of oversteer you'd get in my car. Also, it's not wrong at all. It's only wrong when you've gone overboard, just like RWD. So the RS Focus at 300hp I was pretty much thinking - "fail" due to the work the fronts would have to do. But it's the same for a RWD car being too powerful. You'll need to revert to 4WD for stability. Lambo step forward.
    (Original post by Elementric)
    It's not so much the fact that it's FF, it's that it has far less power than cars with slower lap times, and is not uber light like other 200 odd bhp cars that went round the ring faster. What I hadn't realised was quite how stripped down and useless it was as a road car, which is the reason for it; it's a track car in a hatchback's clothing.
    At 1250kg or whatever it weights, that is mighty impressive. They could easily reduce the shell and stick in the mod-cons. For a FWD car with only 189bhp/tonne - that is mighty impressive when my 193bhp/tonne does it some 20 seconds slower.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be interested to see what a similarly stripped out and tyre'd up Astra VXR would do it in seeing as the bog standard "heavy" version can do it in 8:35.

ReputationRep:
    although you've gotta wounder when you see micras held together with tape sporting a 'ring badge..

ReputationRep:
    you can dare bet these times have been done on cold days lap after lap so the driver really gets the maximum out of the car. if you ask me its a good measure of a cars performance rather than just the bhp figures,,,,

ReputationRep:
    deffo, a good benchmark for comparison over the simple on paper figures we get.. but then its one thats up for a lot of debate when it comes to questioning what spec and conditions were present at the time.. much more subjective..

Guess like any other stat, how usefull it is depends on what sort of car you're looking for.. The ring has a straight of 4km or so doesnt it? can bend the outcome quite a bit..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.