Turn on thread page Beta

Getting into boxing: appropriate excercise watch

ReputationRep:
    Interesting posts, thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting a boxing club at my uni (Imperial) this autumn and right now I'm in the gym every day so that when we start I can at least cope reasonably, it seems that fitness has priority over strength, but both are of course important. I fully expect/kinda hope to be annihilated every week though.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=165105

ReputationRep:
    would be good to know what condition you're in. how many pressups/chins/dips can you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    So, I'm interested in starting boxing, it's really one of the only sports that appeals to me, but right now I'm in no shape whatsoever to start... before I actually start, I'd like to be in better physical shape.
    You want to start boxing?

You want to train like a boxer?

You want to get fitter/stronger/look better?

Solution? Join a good boxing gym and get ******* boxing.

ReputationRep:
    As everyone said join a boxing gym to learn technique and be trained properly.

Priority: HIIT, stamina, technique, plyometrics

Strength is beneficial but amateur boxing isn't about knocking people out anyway so you don't have to be amazingly strong, it's more about skill.

ReputationRep:
    Run a lot. That's the only thing you'd need before you enter a gym: an alright level of fitness which they'll soon mould into greatness...

ReputationRep:
    I boxed for several years, just grow a pair and get down the club and they will have you skipping in intervals, bag and pad work and circits etc, basically go and enjoy it and you will get fit very very fast!

ReputationRep:
    I used to box but due to certain circumstances i can no longer do it, however im hoping to take it back up once im at uni, but like you i need to get in shape first, 2 years of no exercise has balooned me 4-5 stone over my old fighting weight.

My advice, join a gym, go 3-4 times a week. Basic aerobic exercises, running/walking, rowing machine, cross walker.

If you do weights do it for either explosive strength of endurance.

Skipping is brilliant cardio for boxing, not only does it build up you fitness but it also helps you with footwork which is very practical for boxing(thus boxers skip).

I would say shadow box but if you have never boxed before i wouldn't try it simply because the last thing you want to do is get in shape, using the methods above plus shadowboxing only to find out you have picked up bad boxing habits( low arms, no foot work etc) .

Just stick to aerobic exercise at a gym or in the garden etc.

If you do not have access to weights us your body.

Push ups, situps, crunchies, tricep dips, chinups( very hard), squat thrusts both legs and alternate.

Once you join you will learn most of it, aerobic endurance is the most important aspect, technique and power will come later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    6' 66kg

nope

nope

months

which is why I don't want to walk straight in there with no preparation at all. sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

If anything i would say your a little underweight.

I'm over weight at the mo, but am losing it.

but im 6'2 and 126 kg .

When i was amatuer fighting i weighed 93 kg and admitedly was a little chubby but fit as ****, for your height i would have thought you should be at at least 75-80kg.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.