Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im thinking about donating blood for the first time this week and have a few questions. I am a big girls blouse when it comes to needles and seeing my blood. For example I HATE even having blood tests
    My questions are do I need to register or anything and how long will i feel the effects? Ie Stiff arm because I play tennis every few nights.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You might as well try it, but don't try playing tennis on the same day.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you'll need to fill in a form and a medical questionnaire. The next time you give blood there'll still be a questionnaire, but a slightly shortened one so it shouldn't take too much time. make sure you're aware of the limitations (such as no piercings/tattoos for 6 months, no visits to America in the past month, various things like that and restrictions based on your sexual history and meds you're on) - you'll waste a trip if you can't donate for whatever reason. Most people can though.

Some people feel light headed after they've donated - I've personally never had a problem and those who do are generally those just over the required weight (8 stone ish) as losing a pint of blood is a greater proportion of blood loss than for people of higher weights. You may experience some brusing in the area, but this can be minimised by putting pressure on the area when they withdraw the needle. You'll need to keep the plaster on for a minimum of 12 hours I think. I've never experienced any achy arms or anything, it's not like they're injecting anything into you :p:

They advise resting a bit and not over exerting yourself for about an hour after, but that's just a recommendation - tennis etc a few hours later should be fine

Giving blood is an awesome thing to do, so worthwhile and really not a horrible, painful experience. They hide the blood bag underneath the bed you lie on anyway, but I always like to look!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice, never knew about the tattoo/piercing thing? Are you sure?
    As for looking at the bag of blood.... no thanks!

ReputationRep:
    i considered giving blood, but i had a tatt like a month ago so wont be able too for a while now :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craigthered)
    Thanks for your advice, never knew about the tattoo/piercing thing? Are you sure?
    As for looking at the bag of blood.... no thanks!
    It's the HIV/Hep B & Cs and maybe some others they're worried about with piercings and tattoos, having a tattoo could mean at a proper place with full sterilization, or with a bamboo stick in thailand.

If you've had one between 6 and 12 months ago, they'll do an extra test on the blood, if its greater than 12 months there's no problem.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.