Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grape:))
    Hi there,

Just wondering what the maths is like? Because I find I am fine with Statistics and get along with that kinda thing very well, but other maths, I'm not such a fan (but will still be able to give it a go). So.... Is it mainly/all statistical maths?

Many thankyouuuuus x
    There is no other maths except for statistics in Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    There is no other maths except for statistics in Psychology.
    Good! Someone had most certainly been pulling my leg! Horrible person! Gosh I should try what I know!

Thanks +rep (if its not too soon)

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'll be applying for the same course and date as you BSc Psych for 2010 entry!

Are you hoping to stay at RoHo for the Clinical in 2013? If so, double snap

I want to go to Holloway so, so badly. I fell in love with it when I went to the OD in July.

Can someone explain what statistics is to me? I've heard varying accounts and I'm somewhat confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homebythefence)
    Hey! I'll be applying for the same course and date as you BSc Psych for 2010 entry!

I want to go to Holloway so, so badly. I fell in love with it when I went to the OD in July.

Can someone explain what statistics is to me? I've heard varying accounts and I'm somewhat confused.
    Rhul accept students straight off their undergrad into the d.clin?

Statistics involve using statistical analysis (maths basically) on raw data for various purposes. E.g. to test whether or not the difference between two means is significant (usually to a 5% level of confidence). For example, you would often use tests such as paired/unpaired t-test, anova, chi-squared, z-tests etc.

ReputationRep:

I'm not sure about my plans after the degree, but snap! Same course But I do have a strong interest in Clinical Psychology I'm going to the open day in September, but I'm already in love with it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Rhul accept students straight off their undergrad into the d.clin?

Statistics involve using statistical analysis (maths basically) on raw data for various purposes. E.g. to test whether or not the difference between two means is significant (usually to a 5% level of confidence). For example, you would often use tests such as paired/unpaired t-test, anova, chi-squared, z-tests etc.
    :O This is really great! these are the stats the I understand well
    Woooooo :woo: score

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about my plans after the degree, but snap! Same course But I do have a strong interest in Clinical Psychology I'm going to the open day in September, but I'm already in love with it!
    I'm going to that open day too! Going again because I want to get a proper look round, I only really saw the Founders building and the Psych lecture when I went in June.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to that open day too! Going again because I want to get a proper look round, I only really saw the Founders building and the Psych lecture when I went in June.
    Wow perhaps I'll see you there! What was it like? What was the lecture like?
    Gosh I want to know more! Congrats, you've got yourself an excited stalker :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Wow perhaps I'll see you there! What was it like? What was the lecture like?
    Gosh I want to know more! Congrats, you've got yourself an excited stalker :awesome:
    Heh, stalkers are fun

Holloway is breathtaking, especially arriving and entering the Quad through Founders. Seriously, I was so shocked.
    The lecture was fun, it was hosted by a lecturer called Polly Dalton, who I read is an expert on perceptive psychology. She showed a fantastic video that will confuse the hell out of you if you haven't already seen it.

ReputationRep:
    Heh, stalkers are fun

Holloway is breathtaking, especially arriving and entering the Quad through Founders. Seriously, I was so shocked.
    The lecture was fun, it was hosted by a lecturer called Polly Dalton, who I read is an expert on perceptive psychology. She showed a fantastic video that will confuse the hell out of you if you haven't already seen it.
    Oooooo I can't wait now Sounds great I have a lot of family following me along to the open day...... 4 of them infact XD I hoped founders would be like that x

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Just wondering what the maths is like? Because I find I am fine with Statistics and get along with that kinda thing very well, but other maths, I'm not such a fan (but will still be able to give it a go). So.... Is it mainly/all statistical maths?

Many thankyouuuuus x
    The maths is basically all statistics! Last year (1st year) we covered numerical methods, describing data, graphs and normal distributions, z scores and the t test, the Mann-Whitney, Willcoxon and Chi square tests, non-parametric tests, correlation, regression and SPSS. And maybe some other things I can't remember.

Sorry for the late reply, hope it still helps somewhat!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kokiri)
    The maths is basically all statistics! Last year (1st year) we covered numerical methods, describing data, graphs and normal distributions, z scores and the t test, the Mann-Whitney, Willcoxon and Chi square tests, non-parametric tests, correlation, regression and SPSS. And maybe some other things I can't remember.

Sorry for the late reply, hope it still helps somewhat!
    No that's absolutely great! I really look forward it I can't wait, I know what to practise next summer now x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.