Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help! Need Provisional Insurance Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm still taking driving lessons and only had a provisional driving license for 8months but have already bought a 1.1 citroen saxo to practice on but all I need now is insurance! I've found a quote of 1.3k for a year third party only so about 150 a month i think. Is this the cheapest it will get or does anyone know any good insurance companies to look for for a provisional license? Also, I've been told about monthly and daily insurance by people I know but I can't find anything on google, does anyone know anything about this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley90)
    I'm still taking driving lessons and only had a provisional driving license for 8months but have already bought a 1.1 citroen saxo to practice on but all I need now is insurance! I've found a quote of 1.3k for a year third party only so about 150 a month i think. Is this the cheapest it will get or does anyone know any good insurance companies to look for for a provisional license? Also, I've been told about monthly and daily insurance by people I know but I can't find anything on google, does anyone know anything about this?
    Your insurance costs £0.16 an hour, or £3.87 a day.

ReputationRep:
    Nope thats pretty standard insurance if you are the main driver putting your parent as main would make it cheaper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodybuilder22)
    Your insurance costs £0.16 an hour, or £3.87 a day.
    I'm an unemployed student, DO THAT MATHS! nah kidding, you put it that way it seems ok but it's still 1.3k a year so just seeing if there's a cheaper option but if this is the only one then fair enough I'll look at it your way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davidosh)
    Nope thats pretty standard insurance if you are the main driver putting your parent as main would make it cheaper
    I tried that and it became 1.5k a year even though my dad has 8 years no claims and no convictions. I have no idea why?

ReputationRep:
    I tried that and it became 1.5k a year even though my dad has 8 years no claims and no convictions. I have no idea why?
    Because his no claims wont transfer to your car

ReputationRep:
    Because his no claims wont transfer to your car
    When I was a provisional driver, my mum's 5-years no claims bonus transferred to my insurance...

ReputationRep:
    You don't need provisional insurance for a year if you're progressing well. Try a temporary company, about £100 a month and its just until you pass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    You don't need provisional insurance for a year if you're progressing well. Try a temporary company, about £100 a month and its just until you pass
    This sounds good! where do I go please?

ReputationRep:
    This sounds good! where do I go please?
    I don't know, I know they exist because I've had a look before, just google it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    I don't know, I know they exist because I've had a look before, just google it.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    which is 'fronting' aka fraud aka obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    which is 'fronting' aka fraud aka obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception ...
    Yup, if you are the named owner of your car (which I presume you are) by putting one of your parents as the main driver on your car and then getting insurance under their name, you are breaking the law.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.collingwoodlearners.co.uk/

Is all you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shikabane)
    http://www.collingwoodlearners.co.uk/

Is all you need.
    This.

I was insured with them for 80quid a month on a nice juicy 2.0TDi ...but then i got it for 60 quid a month because i found a referal code on some random instructors website..cant find it now..but its still a bargain for 80quid..i reckon yours will be cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk88)
    This.

I was insured with them for 80quid a month on a nice juicy 2.0TDi ...but then i got it for 60 quid a month because i found a referal code on some random instructors website..cant find it now..but its still a bargain for 80quid..i reckon yours will be cheaper.
    i found that site yesterday whilst surfing but couldn't get a quote cos I didn't have my registration on me! I'll go get my registration now and see how it turns out.

ReputationRep:
    I rang up my mum's insurers and had them add me onto the policy - for about 10 months it costs £300 altogether. Try calling whoever provides your parents' policy, and they might be able to help. Remember that even if you take out a year's worth of insurance, you can change it when you pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk88)
    This.

Got a quote of 96.50, I think it might be because of how long I've had my provisional for though..

EDIT: Just realised i didn't even specify the length of time I1ve had my provisional for so why is mine more expensive on a 1.1?? Maybe because the car is 97/98?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    I rang up my mum's insurers and had them add me onto the policy - for about 10 months it costs £300 altogether. Try calling whoever provides your parents' policy, and they might be able to help. Remember that even if you take out a year's worth of insurance, you can change it when you pass.
    My dad's insurance plicy just finished and he's leaving his current insurer but even still, what's the name of your mum's insurer?

ReputationRep:
    www.collingwoodlearners.com

I used that because i couldnt afford the premium ones i think its £82 per month or £27 a week. Easy to register as its all online

EDIT: Just read up hahaha :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.