Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuz)
    Do they!!!
    Is that degree tho??
    most of a-level bio is a lie, especially all about membrane potentials and action potentials.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    most of a-level bio is a lie, especially all about membrane potentials and action potentials.
    Oh.

ReputationRep:
    Yes - that is a massively glossed over area. They shouldn't really teach it like they do - putting such emphasis on the Na+/K+ ATPase instead of Nernst potentials and differential permeability.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    I'm freshly 'de-lied', if you can't tell already!

Ben

ReputationRep:

A lie? surely you mean a broad generalisation......because I dont believe that I have studied a load of crap....
    better explain yourself mate LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    Yes.

Ben
    Well Thank God! I will never ever get that far so I don't mind if they lie to me now, cos i never need to no. Theres that sayin about ignorance being bliss and all that!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, what they teach you at GCSE and A-Level is complete rubbish. Take it from somebody that knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuz)
    Well Thank God! I will never ever get that far so I don't mind if they lie to me now, cos i never need to no. Theres that sayin about ignorance being bliss and all that!
    That refers to the fact that you don't know you're being lied to. Now you do.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    That refers to the fact that you don't know you're being lied to. Now you do.

Ben
    Well yeah your right. But its like the old proverb goes if a dog doesnt ever have a bone hows he ever goin to miss it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icarusgideon)
    A lie? surely you mean a broad generalisation......because I dont believe that I have studied a load of crap....
    better explain yourself mate LOL
    no, its a lie. Its over simplified to the point where its not true. Hence it is a lie, and you've studied a load of crap. Wait til uni.

ReputationRep:
    no, its a lie. Its over simplified to the point where its not true. Hence it is a lie, and you've studied a load of crap. Wait til uni.
    Dan - what year are you in and what are you doing?

Ben

ReputationRep:
    You think that's complicated!!! Try looking at the real glycolytic pathway and the whole TCA cycle! They're not closed systems - so there are loads of extra reactions to learn (like the OPPP; what fun) plus the enzymatic control. It's HELL!

Ben
    Especially when you have the most boring lecturer in the world and you just... can't... stay... awakezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Especially when you have the most boring lecturer in the world and you just... can't... stay... awakezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

She's not that bad! Better than Dr (using the title loosely) Martin!!!
    What's your name, by the way?

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)

Hmmm (btw I'll reply to you soon!)

ReputationRep:

Ben
    Oh, wait - that's what you meant. Apologies.

Ben

ReputationRep:

Ben
    Nicky, hi, nice to meet you And Dr Yawn Martin was who I was referring to... he did respiration, yes? At least I think he did... (I like this woman, she gives out chocolate)

(Apologies to everyone else for the in-references... Dr Martin was a slightly (!) boring lecturer who happened to be lecturing on the most complicated stuff we'd done up until then. God, I loved those lectures.)

ReputationRep:
    I think it is a shame that they have to teach you all this oversimplified stuff (ok, I'll use the word- Lies) at A level. Surely if you want to take an Alevel in a particular subject that interests you, then YOU MIGHT WANT TO ACTUALLY LEARN THE TRUTH!

ReputationRep:

Ben
    I am being interviewed by a Dr Martin of Biochem. Is this bad or will it probably be somebody else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    I think it is a shame that they have to teach you all this oversimplified stuff (ok, I'll use the word- Lies) at A level. Surely if you want to take an Alevel in a particular subject that interests you, then YOU MIGHT WANT TO ACTUALLY LEARN THE TRUTH!
    You can't handle the truth at A2. It's stupidly complicated.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    You can't handle the truth at A2. It's stupidly complicated.

Ben
    Fair enough.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.