Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've now pretty much decided that I want to do medicine and that doing a degree and then doing graduate entry will be too expensive. The only other option is going somewhere were you can transfer after the first year but this is very unlikely so I'm going to apply I hope for an A100 course.
    My problem is, if I can't get my school to predict me what I need what do I then do? Do I apply for other courses although I won't accept as I know I want to do medicine. I'm going to work so hard to get the required grades at the end of A2, so then I can take a gap year and reapply but what do I do about my application this year if I don't get the right predictions for A2?

Thanks x x x

ReputationRep:
    Well what do you think realisitically your AS grades will be?

If you do some major sucking up and really prove to your teachers in the first few weeks of term that you're prepared to work really hard they may predict you the required grades. A lot of schools will do mini tests on what was learnt before summer when you get back so make sure you get above 95% on these and it will go in your favour. If you can try and do some work over the summer too to show them that you're serious this won't help either. Make sure they know you want to resit any necessary modules and that you want to medicine.

If they defintley won't predict you AAB then there is not any point applying to medicine ... sorry I know that's hard to hear. If you defintley want to do medicine and defintley don't want to do any other degree then don't apply for anything and just apply the year after. Plenty do this.

ReputationRep:
    If you dont get the predictions, and you're sure you want to do medicine, take a gap year. It cant hurt, you can strengthen your application with grades in hand and hopefully get a nice unconditional offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by straw-berry)
    I've now pretty much decided that I want to do medicine and that doing a degree and then doing graduate entry will be too expensive. The only other option is going somewhere were you can transfer after the first year but this is very unlikely so I'm going to apply I hope for an A100 course.
    My problem is, if I can't get my school to predict me what I need what do I then do? Do I apply for other courses although I won't accept as I know I want to do medicine. I'm going to work so hard to get the required grades at the end of A2, so then I can take a gap year and reapply but what do I do about my application this year if I don't get the right predictions for A2?

Thanks x x x
    Yep as has been said, if you cant get the predictions you want, work your balls off, get what you need, take a useful gap year and youll be in a far stronger position than if you applied first time round! If you think you havent got a chance this time I would consider just applying next year and not bothering this year to avoid your record being taineted (ie you wouldnt be a reapplicant).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin101)
    to avoid your record being taineted (ie you wouldnt be a reapplicant).
    Being a reapplicant makes no difference at all...

ReputationRep:
    You'd be far better off, (if you can't get the predictions you need), working your arse off for A2 and taking a well spent gap year rather than wasting time applying to courses you don't want to do and trying to get in graduate entry to medicine.
    Plus, my gap year was one of the best decisions ever. It's good experience, character building and you could even go travelling which is awesome. Gap year=good.
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin101)
    (ie you wouldnt be a reapplicant).
    Makes no difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Makes no difference.
    i thought some universities won't look at your application if you apply again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by straw-berry)
    i thought some universities won't look at your application if you apply again?
    Some medical schools won't let you apply to them twice (although some will if you discuss it with them).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.