Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else having non-stop problems with the Dell Studio range? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm truly sick of this now. :mad:

I received a Dell Studio 15 for Christmas last year and have had nothing but problems since.

First I had the random high-pitched, loud beeping on start up. Spoke to Dell who denied knowledge of this (I later found out that they know full well about this problem) and advised me to download the latest BIOS. I thought it had fixed it but since it's random, it's just random that it decided to work after the BIOS update and I soon found it happening again.

I researched the problem and found that a faulty batch of laptops had gone out with twisted wiring that causes this problem (and yes, it still happens).

I've also had problems with the media buttons randomly 'sticking' (like right now, the volume down button has been lit up for ten minutes already).

Fair enough, I must've buggered up this laptop somehow since it now runs as slow as ever (some svchost.exe problem), but I'm in the process of wiping the machine.

And now, I just loaded up my laptop and two of the media buttons are flashing (and have been for 10 minutes now).

I'm completely sick of this laptop now, and if I didn't have personal files on here I would've thrown it out the window long ago. Is there anything I can get Dell to do? I know for a fact that the random beeping on startup is not my problem, but of course, I've had the laptop for about six/seven months now.

Will Dell do anything? I can't possibly sell this thing now.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Your laptop is still under warranty, standard 1 year. Sent it back for them to fix.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avéry)
    Dell
    I found your problem.

ReputationRep:
    i just bought a dell studio 17", it seems to be fine so far.
    you should take it back since its not been over a year yet, there should be some kind of a guarantee on it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donks169)
    I found your problem.
    Tell me about it!

Right, I'll ring Dell tomorrow then. I just thought that since I 'lived' with the problem they wouldn't do anything.

ReputationRep:
    My disc drive stopped working.
    ...I should really send it back while I still have warranty.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I've heard alot of bad things about the old Studio range

ReputationRep:
    mine works fine

ask them to send a new center control cover, its easy to replace, so there is no point sending it away for a week or 2 for a 5 minute job
    http://support.euro.dell.com/support....htm#wp1180201

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.