Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What A-levels might be expected in order to study Japanese at Uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping to apply for a Japanese Studies course, however I would like to know what A-Levels might be the most expected or helpful to study a course like this?
    (I am not interested in any other languages like French etc)

ReputationRep:
    You need to have a language at A-level, I would think.
    Because otherwise they don't know if you have any sort of ability for language.

ReputationRep:
    A levels in Japanese, English Language/Literature (preferably the latter), Mathematics and Sociology/History. I think by doing these subjects you have that competitive edge over other candidates especially if you're applying at the Russell Group Unis.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    A language would be useful to show you have the aptitude, and perhaps a subject like History to show that you can (a) write essays, and (b) think about things different to your own culture's norms critically... other than that, do what you think you'll enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should seriously consider languages. I'd also say that English Literature and History would be good choices.

ReputationRep:
    Anything that shows an interest in culture/history and society.
    Sociology/history/English Literature/theology/psychology.

I would recommend another language at least to As level but if you wont enjoy it, don't do it.
    Try looking a some of the universities course details for Japanese, might give you an idea.
    I know Leeds does it, or you can do a search on UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    I took Biology Maths and Psychology and got offers from 4 out of my 5 choices, i think since it's not one of the run of the mill courses your personal statement is quite important, just show a lot of interest and enthusiasm for everything japanese in that

ReputationRep:
    A language at A level and other mainly non sciencey I should say.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.