Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm uber confused.

Is a visa not a credit card?? :confused:
    I turned 17 and so got my new HSBC bank card through and all it says is 'VISA' and nothing else like 'switch' or 'maestro'

Is there something wrong, or is this right?

Thanks in advance :redface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by menaa-x)
    I'm uber confused.

Is a visa not a credit card?? :confused:
    I turned 17 and so got my new HSBC bank card through and all it says is 'VISA' and nothing else like 'switch' or 'maestro'

Is there something wrong, or is this right?

Thanks in advance :redface:

is it a debit card?

Visa can be a debit or credit card

ReputationRep:
    It's just a debit card, methinks I have the same!
    They wouldn't send you a credit card without your signing something.

Recently, HSBC have made all their debit cards Visa.

ReputationRep:
    Arrgh this reminds me that I need to go and nag HSBC about this. I got sent a load of letters telling me that it was changing to visa etc etc but they never sent it!!!

But yes, I think it's just a debit card

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Debit

It's a debit card. They changed from Maestro/Switch to Visa Debit.

ReputationRep:
    :coma: Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hannah)
    Arrgh this reminds me that I need to go and nag HSBC about this. I got sent a load of letters telling me that it was changing to visa etc etc but they never sent it!!!
    Is your current debit card near its expiry date? They'll only replace it with a Visa card when your current one expires. Otherwise it would cost them thousands to issue everyone with a Visa card at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyT)
    Is your current debit card near its expiry date? They'll only replace it with a Visa card when your current one expires. Otherwise it would cost them thousands to issue everyone with a Visa card at the same time.
    It's got a few months left but I know people who've been sent new card even though theirs didn't expire for another year or so :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I have one all it means is that you put money in and thats all you can spend, however now you can do internet shopping, chip and pin, etc.

Hope thats helps!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.