Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If I read through, understand and do all the questions in this book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-L.../dp/0435519107
    will I be able to get 90+% on my C1 module maths AS level january 2010 exam?

thanks

Any past experiences using the exact same book would be very helpful .

ReputationRep:
    Yes and no. If you read it, it doesn't mean that all the infos their will miracly shift to your brain. You have to be a dedicated and committed learner to achieve 90+ in C1.

ReputationRep:
    We use the old version of this book at school and I got 91% in january module...But then again I did a **** load of past papers...
    So yeah i'd say understand every single example in the book and do every single past paper (I think the earliest one I went back to was 2005...something like that) and yeah should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so far for everyone who posted
    Any more posts will be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    bump... anyone?

(Original post by Princestia)
    bump... anyone?
    I used the old version of this book Doing every or at least nearly every question in the book will definitely help you get a good mark in the exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetopnotch)
    I used the old version of this book Doing every or at least nearly every question in the book will definitely help you get a good mark in the exam
    Thanks for posting

Did you use any other learning/revising methods/books/materials/etc. or just that one book?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what grade did you get?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introducing-...7814798&sr=8-1
    This book is great with many examples and an in depth explanation of the math theories rather than just simply 'rote learning'.

Thanks for posting

Did you use any other learning/revising methods/books/materials/etc. or just that one book?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what grade did you get?

Thanks
    I talked to you a couple of weeks back in your other thread:p: I got an A (82marks) in year 11, then I resat the exam and got 99 in lower 6th. I only used that book and past papers The real past papers and Solomon past papers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Salparadise but I prefer more exam board books as I don't wanna be learning irrelevant stuff for the specification or missing out important bits which are in the spec.

I talked to you a couple of weeks back in your other thread:p: I got an A (82marks) in year 11, then I resat the exam and got 99 in lower 6th. I only used that book and past papers The real past papers and Solomon past papers
    Oh yeah now I remember lol.. I never look at people's usernames when they post so I forget who posted what Lol :P but yeah now I remember you saying that u took it in yr 11 with 82 and then again in yr 12 with 99.. dats a really good mark

By the way, would it be okay to use ALL past papers or only the ones after 2008 because the specification for edexcel maths changed from 2008?

Also, I keep hearing Solomon papers around this forum but I'm not quite sure what they are. I'm thinking they are practice papers [ not past papers ] but are good..? But what exactly are they? And where does the world "solomon" come from in this context..?

Lool thanks

Thanks Salparadise but I prefer more exam board books as I don't wanna be learning irrelevant stuff for the specification or missing out important bits which are in the spec.

Oh yeah now I remember lol.. I never look at people's usernames when they post so I forget who posted what Lol :P but yeah now I remember you saying that u took it in yr 11 with 82 and then again in yr 12 with 99.. dats a really good mark

By the way, would it be okay to use ALL past papers or only the ones after 2008 because the specification for edexcel maths changed from 2008?

Also, I keep hearing Solomon papers around this forum but I'm not quite sure what they are. I'm thinking they are practice papers [ not past papers ] but are good..? But what exactly are they? And where does the world "solomon" come from in this context..?

Lool thanks
    Solomon comes from here => http://www.solomon-press.com/home.htm

They make good past papers, mostly it's the fact that the more past paper practice that you do the better marks that you can get

I'm quite sure that the syllabus for C1 hasn't changed, which means that you should be able to use the old past papers too. I'm not entirely sure though, when I read the syllabus from Edexcel it said that they hadn't changed C1, but I'm not sure whether this translates to the same style of paper each year too. I guess it would be better to ask someone who took the 2008 syllabus changed C1 papers and see if they know

ReputationRep:
    Solomon comes from here => http://www.solomon-press.com/home.htm

They make good past papers, mostly it's the fact that the more past paper practice that you do the better marks that you can get

I'm quite sure that the syllabus for C1 hasn't changed, which means that you should be able to use the old past papers too. I'm not entirely sure though, when I read the syllabus from Edexcel it said that they hadn't changed C1, but I'm not sure whether this translates to the same style of paper each year too. I guess it would be better to ask someone who took the 2008 syllabus changed C1 papers and see if they know
    Ohh thank you very much
    By the way, how do I actually all the solomon papers off the link you gave me? I can't seem to find the actual papers - are they free or do they charge for them?
    Also, how many Solomon papers are there in total, for module C1 [edexcel]?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you read and understand the content then it is very possible to get near 100ums. I find most of the learning comes from doing the questions so just do as many as you can get your hands on :woo:

Ohh thank you very much
    By the way, how do I actually all the solomon papers off the link you gave me? I can't seem to find the actual papers - are they free or do they charge for them?
    Also, how many Solomon papers are there in total, for module C1 [edexcel]?

Thanks
    hmmm I'm not too sure, I actually shared copies of the paper with someone else, I never used that websiite. I think there are 7 or 8 papers for each maths module

ReputationRep:
    hmmm I'm not too sure, I actually shared copies of the paper with someone else, I never used that websiite. I think there are 7 or 8 papers for each maths module
    Oh kk but do you have them all on your computer & are able to send them via email or .pdf/.doc links? I would be very grateful and also give you positive rep

Thanks

Oh kk but do you have them all on your computer & are able to send them via email or .pdf/.doc links? I would be very grateful and also give you positive rep

Thanks
    Oh no sorry :redface: What I meant earlier was that I shared the physical paper copies with someone else, they kept all the papers, I thought that I would never need the papers again. Sorry

ReputationRep:
    Oh no sorry :redface: What I meant earlier was that I shared the physical paper copies with someone else, they kept all the papers, I thought that I would never need the papers again. Sorry
    Oh right Well, thanks anyway for all the information and such

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell. You're not half keen, which is a good thing.

I wouldn't worry about C1 too much though unless you're rather weak at maths. So long as you practise the questions as regularly as possible, do the homework for when it's set and DO PAST PAPERS then you'll be sorted.

(Original post by Salparadise)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introducing-...7814798&sr=8-1
    This book is great with many examples and an in depth explanation of the math theories rather than just simply 'rote learning'.
    I have this one and think it's very well written. I find I can progress on my own.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.