Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it wise to choose History as an A-level if you know nothing about history? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    This is bad advice. :p:

The OP might be interested in it when she starts studying it. GCSE doesn't give you a "solid foundation" - you could be studying completely different topics at A Level anyway.
    You need to be very familiar with the techniques used in History like sources, different approaches to essays, you really need a familiar understanding already due to the depth of the course and how much of the tpoic you have to cover.:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gr8)
    You need to be very familiar with the techniques used in History like sources, different approaches to essays, you really need a familiar understanding already due to the depth of the course and how much of the tpoic you have to cover.:woo:
    Teachers are meant to teach that stuff, though. If someone hasn't done the GCSE, they'll improve with practice. You don't HAVE to have done it at GCSE; it merely gives a slight advantage which can be made up for with a bit of extra work at the start.

ReputationRep:
    Teachers are meant to teach that stuff, though. If someone hasn't done the GCSE, they'll improve with practice. You don't HAVE to have done it at GCSE; it merely gives a slight advantage which can be made up for with a bit of extra work at the start.
    I suppose. To be honest my teachers taught me jack ****.:p:

ReputationRep:
    Go for it! I regret not doing History A-Level though...

As long as you have the zeal to learn, there's not much difference. I know lots of people that have done it without GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Well to be honest I picked A-level Classical Civilisation and I didn't have a clue what it was about but it seemed interesting. And you know what I can hand on heart say I don't regret picking it the tiniest bit, its been a fantastic year and I have learnt a great deal so there's nothing wrong with picking a subject that you don't know about at all.

ReputationRep:
    There is a boy in my A level history class who didn't take it at GCSE and he is better than a lot of the people in our class. :o:
    It's not the background information you need to know prior to being taught it, it's the ability to use the skills needed in history and apply them to the information you'll be given that you need.

ReputationRep:
    And also, you will practically forget EVERYTHING you have learnt over the summer - without a teacher to jog up your memory - speaking from past experiences ahaha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILoveOrangeJuice)
    Well to be honest I picked A-level Classical Civilisation and I didn't have a clue what it was about but it seemed interesting. And you know what I can hand on heart say I don't regret picking it the tiniest bit, its been a fantastic year and I have learnt a great deal so there's nothing wrong with picking a subject that you don't know about at all.
    Yes, this is a good point - There are lots of subjects at A level that aren't offered at GCSE.

With the exceptions of say, Maths, the Sciences and English, you can pick up almost all other A level subjects with no prior knowledge.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.