Turn on thread page Beta

CD player, Ipod converter thingy-bob? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I have a CD player in my car, what do I need in order to be able to play tunes from my Ipod, not sure what lead I need to be looking at :/

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Bump, anyone?

ReputationRep:
    You need an AUX lead but you can only hook your iPod up to your player if there is an AUX port.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a tape player also? You can buy a tape you just plug in the iPod. You can also get something that plays it through the radio but I don't think they are as easy to use

ReputationRep:
    You can try something like http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/ipod...tte-plug-cable

I know that's American, but I got the same product from pcworld a few months back; I'm just searching to try and find the english version now. Basically you plug one end into your ipod, like you would when recharging it, and then plug the other end into the cigarette bit of the car, and it should play into your car speakers.

Edit: Found the thing off amazon, for around £12.99, which is a good price; enjoy http://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-iTri...434729&sr=1-15

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben F)
    You can try something like http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/ipod...tte-plug-cable

I know that's American, but I got the same product from pcworld a few months back; I'm just searching to try and find the english version now. Basically you plug one end into your ipod, like you would when recharging it, and then plug the other end into the cigarette bit of the car, and it should play into your car speakers.
    I don't understand this. How can plugging the iPod into the cigarette lighter play it through the cars speakers? The lighter isn't connected to the sound system in the electrics so this can't possibly work.

ReputationRep:
    No AUX port, No tape player just the CD player and FM radio

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben F)

Edit: Found the thing off amazon, for around £12.99, which is a good price; enjoy http://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-iTri...434729&sr=1-15
    Looks good, i'm wondering if it will work though, how is the charger of the car linked to the speakers? Or does it go through the radio

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lufc89)
    I don't understand this. How can plugging the iPod into the cigarette lighter play it through the cars speakers? The lighter isn't connected to the sound system in the electrics so this can't possibly work.
    Well I don't exactly know the technicalities behind the stuff with cars - but it works, so I aint complaining

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mango24)
    Looks good, i'm wondering if it will work though, how is the charger of the car linked to the speakers? Or does it go through the radio
    On the product description and reviews it talks more in detail about it. Apparently, it "Wirelessly sends music from your iPod to your car radio so you can listen on your car stereo speakers. iTrip Auto combines Griffin's renowned FM transmitter technology with an integrated charger. Designed specifically for use in the car, iTrip Auto's large, easy-to-read backlit LCD screen affords quick, precise station selection and easy status at a glance."

So I think although you have to connect it to your car cigarette lighter, it actually sends the signal wirelessly to your car's antenna... or something. Just find a free frequency, tune into that frequency manually on your car, and set your ipod at that frequency through the little device (e.g 86.0 or something).

ReputationRep:
    iTrip

ReputationRep:
    Haha, love the confusion about the itrip, it really isnt complicated xD

It's simply a weak radio transmitter, you plug it into your ipod through the earphone socket then it transmits a weak radio signal so that your cars radio can pick it up. you tune your radio to the frequency of the signal and you get the music playing.

To my experience they are pretty crappy though and not worth the trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOneCurlyFry)
    Haha, love the confusion about the itrip, it really isnt complicated xD

It's simply a weak radio transmitter, you plug it into your ipod through the earphone socket then it transmits a weak radio signal so that your cars radio can pick it up. you tune your radio to the frequency of the signal and you get the music playing.

To my experience they are pretty crappy though and not worth the trouble.
    I use an iTrip, simply because I havn't had time to fit my stereo into my civic just yet, got the facia and stuff but only just bought it.

Their not bad, they cut alot and are annoying, but the AUX cable is much better and you can get cheap stereos from Halfords or on Ebay with Aux ports for like £60 :p:

ReputationRep:
    Bottom line is, the OP can't really do what she wants properly. Without an AUX port or even an iPod port, she hasn't the ability to transfer music from her iPod to the HU. I'm literally not taking iTrip seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Could you try putting an iPod dock in your car? Not an ideal solution I know...

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the easiest option is an FM transmitter/iTrip but I found they never worked very well and were quite crackly.

ReputationRep:
    OK so...basically I'll need a new stereo ? Never mind

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I asked this question a while ago, eventually got an iTrip, it can be a little dodgy but most of the time its quite good!

ReputationRep:
    Make a CD using your computer of the tunes you want.

Place in CD drive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JFJ)
    Make a CD using your computer of the tunes you want.

Place in CD drive.
    Woo! go you on the advice!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 13, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.