The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
patrickthestarfish
That is a good point actually. A very good point. I'll keep that in the back of my mind when I'm talking to her about it, since I tend to get cold feet and back out of confrontation situations. That should keep me on the right track, the realisation that her priorities are all wrong and that the attention she gets means more to her than we do.
Thank you very much for your help by the way, you've really made me see sense about this :smile:

Glad I could help:smile:

Following the link:

Illnesses and conditions commonly feigned by Münchausen patients
# Back pain
# Bipolar disorder (manic depression)
# Eating Disorders
# Infection
# Kidney disease
# Pregnancy
# Heart disease, heart attack [don't know if this one counts but she often thinks she's having a heart attack, from lots of supposed chest pains]
# Sexual abuse
# Suicidal ideation or suicide attempt

Goodness me, thank you very much for that link, provided some insight, albeit quite confusing, it does fit rather well. I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into it, but this does seem to piece her life together nicely...
No problem, get her some help before she ruins someones life.
Are you sure confronting her is the best way? It doesn't seem like she'll stop lying, you'll probably just end your friendship. It'll never be the same once you accuse her of lying about all these things.
If you know the people she's claiming rape about, and they are innocent, get them to go to the police. It is slander to cry rape when it did not happen, and it's a criminal offence. Someone I know claimed one of my friends raped her when it wasn't true, and we got the police involved and she stopped making the accusations.

I would also recommend calling the police whenever she threatens suicide or makes any suicide gestures (I did this when one of my friends threatened suicide, it got him an appointment with a psychiatrist).

If this girl is so messed up and refuses to get help on her own accord then getting the police involved may be the best thing to do to stop her from ruining someone else's life. It sounds like she's in desperate need of help. If her parents are unaware of what's going on, I wouldn't recommend talking to them because they just might not believe you. I really think that going to the police is the best option so that she can get help fast. It's not overracting to call them at all, especially when suicide is being suggested, even though you know she probably won't do it.
Anonymous
Are you sure confronting her is the best way? It doesn't seem like she'll stop lying, you'll probably just end your friendship. It'll never be the same once you accuse her of lying about all these things.

Then what is the best way to handle this situation?

Also thanks guys for taking it so seriously, what with this being H&R, I was half expecting replies of "just dump her" since that seems to be the most commonly posted reply here!
fluffypinkgoat
If you know the people she's claiming rape about, and they are innocent, get them to go to the police. It is slander to cry rape when it did not happen, and it's a criminal offence. Someone I know claimed one of my friends raped her when it wasn't true, and we got the police involved and she stopped making the accusations.

I would also recommend calling the police whenever she threatens suicide or makes any suicide gestures (I did this when one of my friends threatened suicide, it got him an appointment with a psychiatrist).

If this girl is so messed up and refuses to get help on her own accord then getting the police involved may be the best thing to do to stop her from ruining someone else's life. It sounds like she's in desperate need of help. If her parents are unaware of what's going on, I wouldn't recommend talking to them because they just might not believe you. I really think that going to the police is the best option so that she can get help fast. It's not overracting to call them at all, especially when suicide is being suggested, even though you know she probably won't do it.

Totally agreed with everything said here, really good advice. I am sorry your friend is putting you through all of this, it must be a very difficult time. If the pregnancy is true she will need to seek medical help, the influx in hormones is tremendous and she may not feel adequate enough at this time.

However I think she has probably said it as it possibly the next stage to her story, do not be surprised if she tels you she has had a miscarriage.

I think you should speak to a friend or relative you trust so they can help support you at this time aswell.
Hey,

Just wondering if you've taken any action or anything? Have you decided what you're going to do?
PrincessJasmine
Totally agreed with everything said here, really good advice. I am sorry your friend is putting you through all of this, it must be a very difficult time. If the pregnancy is true she will need to seek medical help, the influx in hormones is tremendous and she may not feel adequate enough at this time.

However I think she has probably said it as it possibly the next stage to her story, do not be surprised if she tels you she has had a miscarriage.

I think you should speak to a friend or relative you trust so they can help support you at this time aswell.

I actually thought this myself, especially since it was from sex she had at her most infertile time of the month and she took the Morning After Pill. This is just speculation, but I'll be talking to her later in the week about it.

fluffypinkgoat
Hey,

Just wondering if you've taken any action or anything? Have you decided what you're going to do?

I haven't been able to confront her yet, I've tried twice but both times my nerves have kicked in and I haven't been able to say anything. I just don't know where to start or what to say to her... :frown:
fluffypinkgoat

If I were to call the police when she was threatening suicide (she says she'll take packets and packets of pills, or lie down in the middle of the road) what action would they take? From experience, the police (in my area at least) are pretty lazy and not great at using their initiative. Will they speak to her directly about it, or is that not really their job? I'm just not sure of what they can do...
I called the police when my ex threatened suicide - He was threatening this on MSN at the time - they went round to his house and made sure he was alright. They talked to his parents and they talked to him for a while. They didn't section him or anything but they made sure that he went to a mental health assessment.

It's a police matter when somebody is threatening to hurt themselves, so they have to do something. They might take a few hours to go round to her house, but they will definately go round. The police in our area are pretty crappy as well, but they were very lovely and understanding to my ex when all that happened.

Even if they don't make your friend have an assessment, it would make her parents aware of what their daughter is like at least.

If she's as bad as you say, don't confront her. If she's very unstable she might hurt you, or she might just become defensive and she'll stop talking to you about the way she feels. You might want to tell her that you don't like the fact that she's threatening suicide and you will call the police on her next time she threatens it, but that's up to you.

Latest

Trending

Trending