Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaddyD15)
    The problem with trying to grade your specimen paper is that the system used to mark the TSA (Rasch) is based on how everyone else finds the specific question. For example say everyone got the question right, you wouldn't get that many marks for it whereas if you were the only person to get it right you would get more.
    oh I see. Personally with that in mind, shouldn't all exams be marked like that, giving a real measure of relative knowledge?

ReputationRep:
    also, I've been using the CIE Thinking Skills multiple choice papers, does anyone else think that they are slightly easier than the TSA questions, and does anyone have any other resources which provide better preparation.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with trying to grade your specimen paper is that the system used to mark the TSA (Rasch) is based on how everyone else finds the specific question. For example say everyone got the question right, you wouldn't get that many marks for it whereas if you were the only person to get it right you would get more.
    Surely that means you'll do better if you do it backwards as people will be under more pressure when they reach the back and some might not even reach it and guess (assuming you have time to do the easier ones at the start of the paper)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rev_pain)
    Surely that means you'll do better if you do it backwards as people will be under more pressure when they reach the back and some might not even reach it and guess (assuming you have time to do the easier ones at the start of the paper)
    Genius

thats why you are oxford material

ReputationRep:
    Is this actually true? Do they definitely score each question relative to how many people do it? If so, then that's an intense idea rev_pain!

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, applying to new college for ppe. =)
    Does anyone think we should all do one of the essay q's and discuss poss structures and answers??

ReputationRep:
    Is this a good example of a typical question in the multiple choice section?

http://bit.ly/2nYjJt

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone on this thread will do this now :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam92)
    I think everyone on this thread will do this now :p:
    Yeh, probably shouldn't have given away my plan

ReputationRep:
    But if everyone sees this and acts this way then surely doing it the original way will now be the better strategy.

ReputationRep:
    But if everyone sees this and acts this way then surely doing it the original way will now be the better strategy.
    Being sarcastic? Only around 20 people will see that. At least a thousand probably sit the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get too excited about your plan, guys. :p: IIRC, the hard & easy questions are scattered around the exam fairly equally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roundabout)
    Don't get too excited about your plan, guys. :p: IIRC, the hard & easy questions are scattered around the exam fairly equally.
    If I do the test in a linear manner, and say only get to Q40 in 1hr25mins, I'm probably going to rush/guess the last 10 questions. It'd be unlikely that the first questions would be done in this manner, thus the people getting the last questions right, although not necessarily harder, would more than likely be less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    If I do the test in a linear manner, and say only get to Q40 in 1hr25mins, I'm probably going to rush/guess the last 10 questions. It'd be unlikely that the first questions would be done in this manner, thus the people getting the last questions right, although not necessarily harder, would more than likely be less.
    True, but then again some people will be (I know I was) more stressed at the beginning of the exam, and hence make more errors at the start.

I'm not saying that working the exam backwards will not make a difference, just that you shouldn't count on it to save your score and hence forget other means of preparation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roundabout)
    True, but then again some people will be (I know I was) more stressed at the beginning of the exam, and hence make more errors at the start.

I'm not saying that working the exam backwards will not make a difference, just that you shouldn't count on it to save your score and hence forget other means of preparation.
    If you were really bothered, you could start in the middle then if you get the first few wrong through nerves you wont lose that many marks because the other people will be less nervous when answering them.

P.s. moreiniho my post says if everyone sees it.

ReputationRep:
    If you were really bothered, you could start in the middle then if you get the first few wrong through nerves you wont lose that many marks because the other people will be less nervous when answering them.

P.s. moreiniho my post says if everyone sees it.
    Hahah. :lol:
    I forgot how desperate you guys are. :p:

ReputationRep:
    So has anyone bought that thinking skills book? any good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merk that Sike of a Mike)
    So has anyone bought that thinking skills book? any good?
    Well, I've bought the first two on the list and they arrived a couple of days ago. From flicking through them they seem like worthwhile purchases - but only time will tell...

I think I'd recommend getting one...

ReputationRep:
    I have to say, I'm not finding the timing of the multiple choice a problem at all. I did the specimen paper in 55mins and got 43/50. It may be an advantage that I was actually quite good at critical thinking. However, I am terrified about the essay. If I have plenty of time, I can write a good essay but with 30mins its gonna be rubbish! Also, because I haven't studied economics but have studied politics, would I be better to answer the politics question even though I'm applying for E&M? To my mind there's not a lot of point doing the economics one if I can't answer well enough (depending on the topic) but will they expect me to do it??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.