Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuckoomillie)
    Also, because I haven't studied economics but have studied politics, would I be better to answer the politics question even though I'm applying for E&M? To my mind there's not a lot of point doing the economics one if I can't answer well enough (depending on the topic) but will they expect me to do it??
    Answer whatever question you feel most confident on. Nowhere does it say that you are expected to do the economics one, since the point of the essay is to assess how well you construct and organize your arguments. It's not an economics test.

In fact, after reading dozens of essays on the same topic, it might be refreshing for the tutors to see someone answer a different one. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else sitting the test at Middlesex Uni? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jnm008)
    Is this a good example of a typical question in the multiple choice section?

http://bit.ly/2nYjJt
    I'm really tempted to go for this, but at $1500 I don't know if I can afford it

I know everyone is saying one doesn't need a tutor blah blah etc, but that is just not the truth (to the extent that you can actually be taught the TSA, as opposed to what some have expressed). Plus to get taught from a guy who got 100% in the TSA would be brilliant and furthermore, that explanation of one of the TSA questions is exactly what I'm looking for.

Time to think of fund-raising ideas, although no way I can raise that dosh EVER lol :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irobot)

I know everyone is saying one doesn't need a tutor blah blah etc, but that is just not the truth (to the extent that you can actually be taught the TSA, as opposed to what some have expressed). Plus to get taught from a guy who got 100% in the TSA would be brilliant and furthermore, that explanation of one of the TSA questions is exactly what I'm looking for.

Time to think of fund-raising ideas, although no way I can raise that dosh EVER lol :woo:
    Tell you what, I'll teach you for a tenth of that for 6 hours (plus travel expenses). I may not have a 100% score on it, but I did try it out and get over 90% while ill, distracted and in half the time available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    Tell you what, I'll teach you for a tenth of that for 6 hours (plus travel expenses). I may not have a 100% score on it, but I did try it out and get over 90% while ill, distracted and in half the time available.
    Deal!

The thing is (no offense intended of course), but this guy actually sat the TSA at Oxford (i.e. officially for his application) and still got a 100% and has something like 13 A-levels (judging by the mini biography on the website) - so he must be really really clever and thus in my view, know how to teach the material and really know his stuff effectively.

Having said the above however, I do agree with you that $1500 is just too high a price to pay - my parents would probably just laugh at me if I requested to pay such an amount.

I'll probably just take a punt with the test as I can't afford the tuition, I'm sure I'm not the only person in such a poor financial situation :eek:

Thanks again for the offer Teebs, but I respectfully decline

ReputationRep:
    Deal!

The thing is (no offense intended of course), but this guy actually sat the TSA at Oxford (i.e. officially for his application) and still got a 100% and has something like 13 A-levels (judging by the mini biography on the website) - so he must be really really clever and thus in my view, know how to teach the material and really know his stuff effectively.

Having said the above however, I do agree with you that $1500 is just too high a price to pay - my parents would probably just laugh at me if I requested to pay such an amount.

I'll probably just take a punt with the test as I can't afford the tuition, I'm sure I'm not the only person in such a poor financial situation :eek:

Thanks again for the offer Teebs, but I respectfully decline
    He may have 13 A levels, but I bet he doesn't have a splendiforous Oxford degree in PPE, unlike me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    He may have 13 A levels, but I bet he doesn't have a splendiforous Oxford degree in PPE, unlike me.
    Just checked, and he's actually doing E&M at Oxford according to the Sucedo website; we can save the debate about the relative merits of PPE vs. E&M, as I envisage that shall be too long a discussion from my part

Yeah, but as I said in my post above, I don't think I'll have that kind of money sadly

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to the University of Oxford and I am required to take the TSA for my course. I know it has two sections and I am wondering what the 50 multiple choice questions in the first section is used for and how it affects my chance of an offer?:confused:

Also, what do the admission tutor do with the essay question in the second part??

ReputationRep:
    Just checked, and he's actually doing E&M at Oxford according to the Sucedo website; we can save the debate about the relative merits of PPE vs. E&M, as I envisage that shall be too long a discussion from my part

Yeah, but as I said in my post above, I don't think I'll have that kind of money sadly
    Doing v completed. I are better. Anyway philosophy and law (my current course) are more critical thinking related than anything in E&M.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    Doing v completed. I are better. Anyway philosophy and law (my current course) are more critical thinking related than anything in E&M.
    Don't know about your first point (its not like he could complete his degree 3 years earlier just to match you, he's still completing it), but with your last point - indeed you may know more about critical thinking, and if I wanted to learn about the topic in more depth I would come to you. But I want to learn critical thinking with regards to the TSA context, something this guy got 100% for and thus is faultless in his knowledge on the topic. You have done the mock test (apparently much much easier than the actual test according to this thread, and got 90% (despite all your excuses), where as this guy beat you in a harder test).

Anyway, this whole argument is rather moot, as I can't afford to pay anyway lol and thus I don't care - last from me on the matter

ReputationRep:

Honestly, I think you're over-estimating the importance of the TSA. If you learn, monkey-see-monkey-do, how to get 100% in the test, then what? You get an interview. And it will become very clear, very quickly, whether or not you actually have the academic potential for a degree at Oxford.

ReputationRep:

Why are you even thinking about spending that much money? As has been said you may get a good score but would only regress to your normal academic boundaries upon interview. $1500 - I mean really!

ReputationRep:
    is the tsa website working for anyone atm? If smeone wouldnt mind posting the spec and 2008 papers and answers i'd really appreciate it, thanks.!

Also i've applied for E+M @ wadham =D

ReputationRep:
    I am also taking the TSA in November and am wondering whether any other colleges/sixth forms are preparing their students who are taking the test in any way, shape or form? There is no guidance at my institution as to how to tackle preparing for it, so I am literally doing as guided by the website.

Does anyone know how the essay part of the test should be constructed? Should you write it like you would for a critical thinking exam with the argument-style structure, or do you write it like an RS essay, or what? Also, has anyone found any past papers at all, because the website only gives one paper as an example?

ReputationRep:
    Ive done two practice papers now for the TSA multiple choice and got 70% on both (30/50). I realise that the TSA is marked in a weird way comparing your score to the difficulty of the question based on how many other people got it or something like that. I still think 30/50 is rubbish though, I should be very good at the essay because in my two essay subjects I got 100% in all exams and I've always been good at them. My gcses arent brilliant (2 A*. 9 As, B in art, c in german). Just wondering if a poor TSA would rule me out of an interview because my gcses are also not excellent, like with the BMAT. Applying PPE at trinity btw.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like doing well in the TSA is the only thing (aside from what I think is a pretty good PS) that's going to get me the interview, and at the moment I have done zilch preparation and have only just started thinking about the fact that I have to sit this darned paper.

I don't know what to do. On the one hand, if I don't prepare loads and don't do well and then Oxford reject me, that's fine in a way because then it's obvious I'm simply not good enough for Oxford. But now I've applied I feel as though I should do whatever I can to give myself the best shot possible.

Not that I even know how to prepare for this thing anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claire37)
    Does anyone know how the essay part of the test should be constructed? Should you write it like you would for a critical thinking exam with the argument-style structure, or do you write it like an RS essay, or what? Also, has anyone found any past papers at all, because the website only gives one paper as an example?
    The questions will probably just be some kind of simple argument. Structure it simply:

Intro (keep short)
    A bunch of paragraphs clearly distinguishable for each pointer
    A Conclusion

Your aim is to be concise and produce a well argued discussion. It's more for how you structure and evaluate an argument than the actual content.

GUYS STOP PANICKING! Most people did hardly anything for the TSA. It's designed so you can't prepare for it. The pracitse paper isn't to decide how well you are going to do in Nov., it is to show you what kind of questions will be asked.

It's all down to how you do on the day. Don't stress too much about it.

(Original post by pinkpenguin)
    The questions will probably just be some kind of simple argument. Structure it simply:

Intro (keep short)
    A bunch of paragraphs clearly distinguishable for each pointer
    A Conclusion

Your aim is to be concise and produce a well argued discussion. It's more for how you structure and evaluate an argument than the actual content.

GUYS STOP PANICKING! Most people did hardly anything for the TSA. It's designed so you can't prepare for it. The pracitse paper isn't to decide how well you are going to do in Nov., it is to show you what kind of questions will be asked.

It's all down to how you do on the day. Don't stress too much about it.
    thank you thats what i thought, i think over preparing will make me do worse because i will get stressed and then worry bout it! The only part that does worry me is the essay, content wise, like i have done some reading round of each subject but i dont feel i know sufficient info to cite philosophers or anything, i tend to go off on tangents and focus too much on my opinions, i will have to restrain myself this time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trollman)
    thank you thats what i thought, i think over preparing will make me do worse because i will get stressed and then worry bout it! The only part that does worry me is the essay, content wise, like i have done some reading round of each subject but i dont feel i know sufficient info to cite philosophers or anything, i tend to go off on tangents and focus too much on my opinions, i will have to restrain myself this time
    You definately won't have to cite philosophers. The questions will be really general so just think of 3 or 4 points you can write paragraphs about and go from there.

Mine was something really ambiguous about gender equality. I think the only proper historical or otherwise thing I mentioned was the suffragettes.

(Original post by pinkpenguin)
    You definitely won't have to cite philosophers. The questions will be really general so just think of 3 or 4 points you can write paragraphs about and go from there.

Mine was something really ambiguous about gender equality. I think the only proper historical or otherwise thing I mentioned was the suffragettes.
    yh but i just worry, you know because the marking/scores are relative that some people who really know their stuff will be able to write clear ideas whereas i will be thinking on paper, but i was looking at some questions they do look quite fun! and most you can draw in info from current affairs or history - something i study!

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.