Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llacerta)
    I feel like doing well in the TSA is the only thing (aside from what I think is a pretty good PS) that's going to get me the interview, and at the moment I have done zilch preparation and have only just started thinking about the fact that I have to sit this darned paper.

I don't know what to do. On the one hand, if I don't prepare loads and don't do well and then Oxford reject me, that's fine in a way because then it's obvious I'm simply not good enough for Oxford. But now I've applied I feel as though I should do whatever I can to give myself the best shot possible.

Not that I even know how to prepare for this thing anyway!
    This is exactly how I feel - due to past grades, the TSA will be pretty much the only way to get an interview - but "You can't prepare for it" triumphs in the end.

I'm also not really fussed about the essay. I think I'm the sort of person that's too laid back for my own good, but judging by those 3 past questions, it's pretty obvious that no precise knowledge is going to be required; all that'd be needed is a standard essay technique which pinkpenguin provided, and that shouldn't be impossible given the range of discussion one could have about the questions.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, I'm really fretting about the looming date. I have a feeling I'm going to have a breakdown and get really flustered in the exam. My nerves are like that, if I'm confident I do well in exams, but if I'm nervous one stammer answering a question and it'll go to the wall.

Not helping that everyone is expecting me to go to Oxford :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    This is exactly how I feel - due to past grades, the TSA will be pretty much the only way to get an interview - but "You can't prepare for it" triumphs in the end.
    That's rubbish in my opinion!

There are so many way you can prepare for it, if not learning how to answer the types of questions posed to you, then through practicing the skills being tested.

It's like the admissions/interviews - we'd all like to believe that academic professors can tell if someone has been couched or not, and thus the playing field is level, but in practice, those who have been trained (even just to think in the manner an interviewer may ideally require from you), do very well and get in. There is a reason why our school (Westminster - I'm on a scholarship here before anyone asks why I thus can't afford this $1500 package), gets in like 40-50 people a year into Oxbridge; they start 'training' us from Year 10/11 onwards!

Likewise in the TSA, you can prepare; I just wish I had the money lying about, although having spoke to my parents about this, they said they might consider paying for this - as whilst I know the TSA is only one portion of the test, the fact that is being used to decide who comes to interview, shall be used to differentiate between candidates (as I assume everyone will be predicted 3 A's or better, and for my case as my grades aren't stellar (i.e. I don't have 95% in all the A-;levels), a good score on my TSA may definitely help my case as it is the universities examinations).

ReputationRep:
    Remember that your TSA score isn't really that important when deciding whether you get an offer or not. As was mentioned on this thread, last year JohnKennedy got a score in the 90s (which put him in the top 0.5% of applicants), but didn't get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    I think you'd have to have a slightly warped sense of perspective to pay that kind of money.

Also, do we get two scores? How does that work then, are some questions for each section?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roundabout)
    Remember that your TSA score isn't really that important when deciding whether you get an offer or not. As was mentioned on this thread, last year JohnKennedy got a score in the 90s (which put him in the top 0.5% of applicants), but didn't get an offer.
    Yes but at the Open Day at Oxford this year (Pembroke), the economics tutor said they were going to place greater emphasis on the TSA; not only as a pre-interview selector (which apparently wasn't the case last year - i.e. you score didn't depend on whether you were invited to interview, b/c the test was being trailed), and as a differentiator between A-level scores (with most applicants already having AAA+). In other words, it will form an important aspect in the admissions process (i.e. the higher the score, the better, particularly if you aren't the strongest in your grades to begin with).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arcoxia)
    I think you'd have to have a slightly warped sense of perspective to pay that kind of money.

Also, do we get two scores? How does that work then, are some questions for each section?
    I don't see how. The $1500 is an investment in my future (a gamble if I get in I know), but if it helps and I end up getting a good career, $1500 won't seem like much - particularly in banking where the likes of Oxford and LSE are better regarded than other universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irobot)
    I don't see how. The $1500 is an investment in my future (a gamble if I get in I know), but if it helps and I end up getting a good career, $1500 won't seem like much - particularly in banking where the likes of Oxford and LSE are better regarded than other universities.
    Well it's up to you. But I've already got confidence in my abilities and don't think a few hours spent with someone else will alter them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arcoxia)
    Well it's up to you. But I've already got confidence in my abilities and don't think a few hours spent with someone else will alter them.
    Well in my opinion, 10 hours spent with a guy who got 100% in the exam I shall be sitting and is currently at Oxford doing my course, as well as getting his expert advice and a-z guidance on how to ace the exam, is productive for me.

Plus, its my money and not yours, so I don't really see why you should care on my purchasing preferance decisions :yep:

ReputationRep:
    But its not fair on the people who can't afford it.

ReputationRep:
    Let me reiterate my offer, I'll do it for a 10th of this guy's price. I have a thorough understanding of the methods behind the TSA. I'll even consider requests for discounts based on poverty :p: Groups too. It's all good.

ReputationRep:
    Well in my opinion, 10 hours spent with a guy who got 100% in the exam I shall be sitting and is currently at Oxford doing my course, as well as getting his expert advice and a-z guidance on how to ace the exam, is productive for me.

Plus, its my money and not yours, so I don't really see why you should care on my purchasing preferance decisions :yep:
    Well it's not your money, it's your parents. I don't think you've got a very good concept of just how much money that is. However your parents are entitled to do what they want with it, and if you believe it'll help you and are able to persuade them into thinking that, then sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    Let me reiterate my offer, I'll do it for a 10th of this guy's price. I have a thorough understanding of the methods behind the TSA. I'll even consider requests for discounts based on poverty :p: Groups too. It's all good.
    Did you not say you got 90% on the easier mock version of the test (despite all your xyz excuses :rolleyes: ), where as the other Sucedo guy got 100% on the harder test - you may know more about critical thinking perhaps, but he knows the knowledge which matters (in the case of applicants) and that's the TSA. Plus, he's gone through the exact process I'm going to be going through only last year.

Good luck with your business plan nonetheless :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rev_pain)
    But its not fair on the people who can't afford it.
    I know, I feel bad for doing this - but honestly, SO MANY other candidates will be coached. We (at Westminster) are couched from Year 11 onwards, and serious couching begins in the summer of Year 12 - and that's just for interviews. In that regard, so many candidates are already miles ahead if you include other schools like St. Pauls, Harrow and Eton which I know do the same thing.

Might as well help with the TSA, which is one of the more important factors this year.

ReputationRep:
    Did you not say you got 90% on the easier mock version of the test (despite all your xyz excuses :rolleyes: ), where as the other Sucedo guy got 100% on the harder test - you may know more about critical thinking perhaps, but he knows the knowledge which matters (in the case of applicants) and that's the TSA. Plus, he's gone through the exact process I'm going to be going through only last year.

Good luck with your business plan nonetheless :p:
    Yes, I've got it! That's what was niggling away at me. You sound very much like you're trying to sell this person's product without being too obvious about it. This would be supported by the fact that you only joined this month and fully half of your posts are in this thread.

Poor show.

ReputationRep:
    Well reading all this just made me feel so much better. :| Posts like irobots make me think
    -i'm never going to get in, i dont know why I even applied
    -if I do get in, Im going to be surrounded by people like him, why did I apply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    They don't want an Oxford Brookes student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    He may have 13 A levels, but I bet he doesn't have a splendiforous Oxford degree in PPE, unlike me.
    Hi, do you wanna be bff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izinku)
    Well reading all this just made me feel so much better. :| Posts like irobots make me think
    -i'm never going to get in, i dont know why I even applied
    -if I do get in, Im going to be surrounded by people like him, why did I apply

Most people are very much not like him at Oxford, and anyone who spent even the $150 I'm jokily offering for TSA help is a fool.

(Original post by roundabout)
    They don't want an Oxford Brookes student.
    That's alright, I don't actually want them either. My Oxford degree is far too valuable :yep: Although... if someone was actually stupid enough to pay for tuition like that I suppose I might not say no.

(Original post by izinku)
    Hi, do you wanna be bff?
    Your offer intrigues me. Please elaborate. Perhaps I could subscribe to your news letter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    Most people are very much not like him at Oxford, and anyone who spent even the $150 I'm jokily offering for TSA help is a fool.

That's alright, I don't actually want them either. My Oxford degree is far too valuable :yep: Although... if someone was actually stupid enough to pay for tuition like that I suppose I might not say no.

Your offer intrigues me. Please elaborate. Perhaps I could subscribe to your news letter?
    Well, I do not have one at the moment, but I could start a blog for you. In return you can share with me the mysteries of PPE?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.