Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irobot)
    Why are most of my posts here in this thread? Perhaps b/c I'm applying to Oxford and sitting the exam in little over a month, and hoping for some tips apart from the usual "you can't prepare for this test" nonsense.

Oh yes, I must be plugging their material, as I dared to go against you and prove that you would be inadequate, compared to this 100% guy, in teaching the TSA.

Poor show Teebs, on this and petty neg-repping people (shows your inadequate frustration in only being able to get 90% on an easier test ha!).

Maybe you should spend less time arguing and more time saving. You could be well on your way to that $1,500...

(Original post by izinku)
    Last year 1 person got in Oxford (first in a decade!) and 1 in Cambridge (but applied through Aim Higher, so it is difficult to judge the school's part) . Trust me , I know about being under prepared Last year, I had no prep whatsoever for the TSA apart from briefly looking at the questions

Dont Manchester have Philo&Eco, or PPE as a whole? :confused: Im so confused. If I get rejected by York (and Oxford and UCL, obviously :p: ) I really dont know where to apply for 'safety'. :X
    yh but u did well enough for to get an interview thats pretty impressive and u got offers from UCL and bristol! do you know what your tsa score was? what did durham say was wrong with your ps? yes i have been snooping on your profile lol

ive been thinking bout reapplying and doing maths a level in a year, i can't see myself getting an offer without it

yes they do have PPE but its AAB so i wnet for pol and eco as an insurence, i wanted a lower grade one, but tbh i cant see myself getting lower than AAB/ABB so i mite just try another high offer one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trollman)
    yh but u did well enough for to get an interview thats pretty impressive and u got offers from UCL and bristol! do you know what your tsa score was? what did durham say was wrong with your ps? yes i have been snooping on your profile lol
    haha, thanks, but my score was very very average - 62.8. I am guessing my essay was what pushed for the interview. As for UCL... I couldnt believe it, especially after their logic test on the interview day, I thought I completely messed it up. Durham didnt specify what was wrong with it but it isnt hard to guess - on the website it says they like statements which are 50% academics, 50% extra curricular and mine was 80% academics

ive been thinking bout reapplying and doing maths a level in a year, i can't see myself getting an offer without it

yes they do have PPE but its AAB so i wnet for pol and eco as an insurence, i wanted a lower grade one, but tbh i cant see myself getting lower than AAB/ABB so i mite just try another high offer one!
    It's surprising that their requirement for PPE is quite high, I've never considered Manchester as that good a uni, but I am obviously wrong

ReputationRep:
    That's rubbish in my opinion!

There are so many way you can prepare for it, if not learning how to answer the types of questions posed to you, then through practicing the skills being tested.

It's like the admissions/interviews - we'd all like to believe that academic professors can tell if someone has been couched or not, and thus the playing field is level, but in practice, those who have been trained (even just to think in the manner an interviewer may ideally require from you), do very well and get in. There is a reason why our school (Westminster - I'm on a scholarship here before anyone asks why I thus can't afford this $1500 package), gets in like 40-50 people a year into Oxbridge; they start 'training' us from Year 10/11 onwards!

Likewise in the TSA, you can prepare; I just wish I had the money lying about, although having spoke to my parents about this, they said they might consider paying for this - as whilst I know the TSA is only one portion of the test, the fact that is being used to decide who comes to interview, shall be used to differentiate between candidates (as I assume everyone will be predicted 3 A's or better, and for my case as my grades aren't stellar (i.e. I don't have 95% in all the A-;levels), a good score on my TSA may definitely help my case as it is the universities examinations).
    I'm sorry, I was speaking for those of us who aren't groomed into 'Oxbridge style thinking'.

ReputationRep:
    ""I know, I feel bad for doing this - but honestly, SO MANY other candidates will be coached. We (at Westminster) are couched from Year 11 onwards, and serious couching begins in the summer of Year 12 - and that's just for interviews. In that regard, so many candidates are already miles ahead if you include other schools like St. Pauls, Harrow and Eton which I know do the same thing.""

Quoted from someone previously

what school u com from is taken into account when u apply to Oxford lol. I mean, i go to a state comp in the North east and im applyin for Econ nd Man at St Johns. I got on the sutton trust summer school tho and they sed that 40% of pps who applied got an offer.

Just FYI, we dnt get coaching, and Oxford care bowt tallent and take into account where u did ur a lvls and gcses. So an A* from ur private school probs equals an A frm our school

so n e one applyin from the state schools with lil to no training. LETS NOT CARE. Dont panic, jst sit the exam, do ur best. If you get an interview GREAT. If u dont. Go somewhere else NEWCASTLE

(Original post by Davy Lad)
    ""I know, I feel bad for doing this - but honestly, SO MANY other candidates will be coached. We (at Westminster) are couched from Year 11 onwards, and serious couching begins in the summer of Year 12 - and that's just for interviews. In that regard, so many candidates are already miles ahead if you include other schools like St. Pauls, Harrow and Eton which I know do the same thing.""

Quoted from someone previously

what school u com from is taken into account when u apply to Oxford lol. I mean, i go to a state comp in the North east and im applyin for Econ nd Man at St Johns. I got on the sutton trust summer school tho and they sed that 40% of pps who applied got an offer.

Just FYI, we dnt get coaching, and Oxford care bowt tallent and take into account where u did ur a lvls and gcses. So an A* from ur private school probs equals an A frm our school

so n e one applyin from the state schools with lil to no training. LETS NOT CARE. Dont panic, jst sit the exam, do ur best. If you get an interview GREAT. If u dont. Go somewhere else NEWCASTLE
    i think cambridge take it into account a bit more, but we can always hope! state comprehensives ftw

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling so unprepared for this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    I'm feeling so unprepared for this
    That's the point :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    That's the point :awesome:
    Perhaps unprepared was the wrong word. Just completely not ready, y'know? It doesn't help that my exams for Deloitte are 2 DAYS before :| And they keep setting us loads of work in the meantime as we essentially learn an undergraduate accounting degree in 2 weeks. It is the most intense learning I have ever done. So I don't even have time to practice for the TSA :sad:

i have a big debate with the local private school the next day, and my school team won the comp last year and im the head boy and on the team, allow the pressure¬!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trollman)
    i have a big debate with the local private school the next day, and my school team won the comp last year and im the head boy and on the team, allow the pressure¬!
    I wish my school had a debate team :p: Do you think private school students look down on us state kids, and see us as less of a competition?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps unprepared was the wrong word. Just completely not ready, y'know? It doesn't help that my exams for Deloitte are 2 DAYS before :| And they keep setting us loads of work in the meantime as we essentially learn an undergraduate accounting degree in 2 weeks. It is the most intense learning I have ever done. So I don't even have time to practice for the TSA :sad:
    2 days is more than enough time to practice for it. Don't worry!

All I did for prep was the practice test on the website. Took about an hour in total. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roundabout)
    2 days is more than enough time to practice for it. Don't worry!

All I did for prep was the practice test on the website. Took about an hour in total. :p:
    Fair. Last year I was getting really high scores on the practice tests (well. 90% at least I mean). I'm so worried about the essay portion though.

ReputationRep:
    Oh please - tell me you are joking with the comment about learning an undergraduate A&F degree in 2 weeks; I did my internship over the summer (arguably at KPMG, the top Big4 relatively), and I got to sit in on their gap-year intern class courses towards September/October.

I assume the knowledge learnt at all Big4 (E&Y excluded as they do no gap scheme) is the same, and how on earth you can compare it to an undergraduate A&F course is beyond me; learning how to vaguely produce financial reporting sheets, does not mean you can deal with off-shore structured products such as SPV's, as is I believe (from looking at their website), part of LSE's and Warwick's A&F courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davy Lad)
    Yes indeed they do, and that's why my school has one of the highest Oxbridge success rates in the country (even when relatively comparing to a state school basis) :rolleyes:

My point being, my school won't be an advantage nor a disadvantage in absolute terms; if there are two candidates who are valued the same, one from a state and the other from a private like mine, then yes perhaps the state one may get in over me. But in reality, with the level of preparation private school kids get from various of these top schools, better Oxbridge exam preparation etc, they will be a lot better in these terms.

ReputationRep:
    Oh please - tell me you are joking with the comment about learning an undergraduate A&F degree in 2 weeks; I did my internship over the summer (arguably at KPMG, the top Big4 relatively), and I got to sit in on their gap-year intern class courses towards September/October.

I assume the knowledge learnt at all Big4 (E&Y excluded as they do no gap scheme) is the same, and how on earth you can compare it to an undergraduate A&F course is beyond me; learning how to vaguely produce financial reporting sheets, does not mean you can deal with off-shore structured products such as SPV's, as is I believe (from looking at their website), part of LSE's and Warwick's A&F courses.
    KPMG isn't top. It goes PwC, Deloitte, KPMG, E&Y.

Secondly, I'm just going by what we were told. It may well be different for our course. As I'm sure you're aware, there are numerous different qualifications and exams that are sat. Also, mine isn't a gap year class. I'm in the same lessons as the graduate workers are so to be honest, your situation is completely different to mine. I'm on a course for GRADUATES. Furthermore, there are about 12 A&F grads in my class who vouch for it being for the most part, the exact same stuff. You seem to be ignoring the difference in degrees from different universities. Or were you unaware that there isn't a standard, one size fits all A&F degree?

So you can back the **** off to be honest.

(Original post by izinku)
    I wish my school had a debate team :p: Do you think private school students look down on us state kids, and see us as less of a competition?
    some of them do but its not too bad, i quite like it, makes me more determined to win and wipe the smile off of their faces lol. plus one of their people is in the year below, and changed to that school for 6th form as she got a scholarship! i will not let the betrayal escape unnoticed! lol

ReputationRep:
    KPMG isn't top. It goes PwC, Deloitte, KPMG, E&Y.
    Ha, this just shows your limited knowledge on things. I presume the fact that you just combined financial services into one bunch, shows your ignroance.

Corporate Finance - KPMG have had a lead in this division and frankly (as can be seen from the IB in take from the firm), it is head and shoulders above the rest.

Consultancy - Deloitte have, as with KPMG's case with CF, a head and shoulders lead to any big4.

Tax - KPMG is then followed by PwC, E&Y (who only pip Deloitte to the post b/c they have a better structured tax division - big business these days!), then Deloitte.

Audit - Whilst PwC may be the largest in this division, a closer look at the figures shows a consensus image. PwC have been the firm which has the lost most market share (as shown by figures of 2008, the last FY available at the moment), with KPMG showing the most growth in picking up this division, followed by Deloitte. Accountancy Age, The FT and other awards towards accountancy, have all named KPMG as the 'Auditor of the Year' in recognition of this - a simple Google search will give you the full list of result!

If you actually engaged your brain, you would realise the reason why PwC has had an inherent advantage in Audit is, b/c they were the first Big4 to merge (i.e. they were the first of the Big4 - long after did the others come along to then form the Big5, then the Big4 with the Arther Anderson scandal).
    I would do what your last comment stated at me now :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    My point being, my school won't be an advantage nor a disadvantage in absolute terms; if there are two candidates who are valued the same, one from a state and the other from a private like mine, then yes perhaps the state one may get in over me. But in reality, with the level of preparation private school kids get from various of these top schools, better Oxbridge exam preparation etc, they will be a lot better in these terms.
    You're a complete ****.

ReputationRep:
    I was going by overall revenue, as most people would. You haven't addressed the main thing you accused me of lying about. Just accept that you're potentially wrong about our course. Because I can tell you that you are. I'm not doing an 'internship', unlike you. I do know the background of the big4 and big5 so don't attempt to educate me as I already knew everything you just told me. Christ, I've seen enough damn powerpoints at induction days that I'd be incredibly shocked if I hadn't gathered this. Get over yourself.

Besides which, why on earth would I make up what I'm learning at college? Do you think I want to be learning this much? Do you think I enjoy doing 4+ hours worth of accounting homework each night (and whilst I'm on my gap year, no less)?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.