Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roundabout)
    Call the Hertford admissions office tomorrow and explain your situation. To me that sounds like a small technicality that I'm sure can be sorted out easily.
    I really hope so. The way my life has been playing out this past month, it wouldn't shock me if they just didn't let me sit it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    I really hope so. The way my life has been playing out this past month, it wouldn't shock me if they just didn't let me sit it.
    Nonsense. In my experience, the admissions officers at Oxford are very nice and understanding, not nearly as anal as the ones at LSE. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roundabout)
    Nonsense. In my experience, the admissions officers at Oxford are very nice and understanding, not nearly as anal as the ones at LSE. :p:
    Yeah. I mean, they wouldn't penalise me for something that's clearly out of my control, would they? I registered 2 weeks ago. But I only had my ID with Apply then. I had no idea they would give me my old ID again for track. So now I have a TSA registration with one ID and a uni app with another. I've emailed my college exams officer and cambridge assessment. I'll give Hertford a ring tomorrow. Is it best to ring the admissions secretary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izinku)
    I wish my school had a debate team :p: Do you think private school students look down on us state kids, and see us as less of a competition?
    I don't think so at all - Yeah, some people may think like this but they are clearly just ignorant.

I don't like people to have the perception that, in general, kids at private schools think they're better than others 'cos this is mostly not the case...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    Yeah. I mean, they wouldn't penalise me for something that's clearly out of my control, would they? I registered 2 weeks ago. But I only had my ID with Apply then. I had no idea they would give me my old ID again for track. So now I have a TSA registration with one ID and a uni app with another. I've emailed my college exams officer and cambridge assessment. I'll give Hertford a ring tomorrow. Is it best to ring the admissions secretary?
    Yeah, call the admissions secretary. She'll redirect you to the tutor of admissions, if necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Small off-topic Oxford question: I did an open application (9), is there anyway I can find out which college their system selected for me? Or will I have to wait for the interview confirmation letter (or in my case, unsuccessful) in November to find out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    Well phone the bloody woman up and find out and then contact the exam people if she hasn't.
    I will! First thing tomorrow :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Graphix)
    I don't think so at all - Yeah, some people may think like this but they are clearly just ignorant.

I don't like people to have the perception that, in general, kids at private schools think they're better than others 'cos this is mostly not the case...
    I sincerely hope so I dislike private education out of principle, but not the people themselves. It's not like most students get a say anyway, and as long as the option is there we cant blame people for exploiting it. It is the Government's fault for allowing money to dictate the quality of education.

I sincerely hope so I dislike private education out of principle, but not the people themselves. It's not like most students get a say anyway, and as long as the option is there we cant blame people for exploiting it. It is the Government's fault for allowing money to dictate the quality of education.
    i feel a debate coming on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trollman)
    i feel a debate coming on
    I know, I thought to myself 'maybe I shouldnt have said that' as soon as I posted it, but oh well, this thread has gone off topic plenty of times before

For some reason I am getting really anxious over the TSA. It's like it's my only chance for an interview (the only other 'strength' of my application is that I didnt speak English 5 years ago but got A*s at GCSEs, but apart from this it's all painfully average)

I know, I thought to myself 'maybe I shouldnt have said that' as soon as I posted it, but oh well, this thread has gone off topic plenty of times before

For some reason I am getting really anxious over the TSA. It's like it's my only chance for an interview (the only other 'strength' of my application is that I didnt speak English 5 years ago but got A*s at GCSEs, but apart from this it's all painfully average)
    haha well im nto sure about private school myself, but my parents didnt send me to one because my mum disagreed with them morally, hence why i didnt try for a scholarship for secondry or 6th form, im pretty happy at my school tbh

same! my gcses were good i think, my AS were poor! i dont do maths but did an open uni course and i do physics, i also have loads of stuff in my ps which may make me a good candidate, basically i have to nail the admissions test to get an interview, if i got an interview id be happy, i dont even care about getting in lol

ReputationRep:
    haha well im nto sure about private school myself, but my parents didnt send me to one because my mum disagreed with them morally, hence why i didnt try for a scholarship for secondry or 6th form, im pretty happy at my school tbh

same! my gcses were good i think, my AS were poor! i dont do maths but did an open uni course and i do physics, i also have loads of stuff in my ps which may make me a good candidate, basically i have to nail the admissions test to get an interview, if i got an interview id be happy, i dont even care about getting in lol
    Ah PS.........mine is ugh. It basically goes

-Why I like Philosophy (examples of dilemmas/qs which interest me, a book , why I want to study it)
    - Why I like Economics (what 'debates' I am interested/vague opinion, mention of 'Dead Aid' and how it influenced me, why I want to study it )
    - Why I like Politics (how my origins introduced me to it LOL pathetic I know, then commentary on how 'Political Thought' amazed me and why, why I want to study it)
    - Extra curricular - subj tutor, class rep, peer mentoring coordinator, newsletter editor, piano, youth club (ie nothing special whatsoever)
    - Brief details of my gap year plans and two sentences on why I want this degree and why I am a good candidate

It's very........ predictable.

Ah PS.........mine is ugh. It basically goes

-Why I like Philosophy (examples of dilemmas/qs which interest me, a book , why I want to study it)
    - Why I like Economics (what 'debates' I am interested/vague opinion, mention of 'Dead Aid' and how it influenced me, why I want to study it )
    - Why I like Politics (how my origins introduced me to it LOL pathetic I know, then commentary on how 'Political Thought' amazed me and why, why I want to study it)
    - Extra curricular - subj tutor, class rep, peer mentoring coordinator, newsletter editor, piano, youth club (ie nothing special whatsoever)
    - Brief details of my gap year plans and two sentences on why I want this degree and why I am a good candidate

It's very........ predictable.
    I just wrote ppe over and over again until i reached the character count

ReputationRep:
    I just wrote ppe over and over again until i reached the character count
    ahaha sounds awesome

ahaha sounds awesome
    actually i only wrote about politics and economics, i wrote one sentence on philosophy philosophy tutors are going to hate me lol

ReputationRep:
    actually i only wrote about politics and economics, i wrote one sentence on philosophy philosophy tutors are going to hate me lol
    Well Im sure they'll understand that it's only natural to have a bit more of a preference for one over the other two... In the first draft of mine, my Philosophy paragraph was really intense and enthusiastic which made the other two pale in comparison. I ended up 'enhancing' (lol at word) the other two and toning down on Philosophy :confused:

well politics and economics are the two subjects i am most keen on, philosophy is just a bonus, i like to do loads of subjects so doing some philo in the first year would be nice! But someone in the year above me pretty much wrote a straight econ ps, got ABBB in As and got an offer for ppe at ox, my school expect the same from me

ReputationRep:
    Tell your mum I think she's pretty cool.

(Original post by Kneechuh)
    Tell your mum I think she's pretty cool.
    im not quite sure what you even mean by saying that....:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I tend to find the problem solving questions harder than critical thinking. Any tips anyone?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.