Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey... the ones I seem to have trouble on on the practice TSA are those in which you are asked to choose which similar statement is "most parallel" to the one provided.

They all consist of the same basic parts, and usually all have conjectures similar to those in the one they provide. Are you all doing it like one has "bad fact -> bad fact -> bright side of the two bad facts" and trying to match them that way or is just just more fluid than that?

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else here an international taking the TSA?
    Does anybody have any idea whatsoever when we're supposed to receive the test materials/take the test? I was told it'd be around -5 GMT (2 pm, eastern time for those US-ers) but I'm not sure when my examinations officer is going to actually get the materials. I'm slightly terrified of not getting them, and getting shafted in the process...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trollman)
    haha well im nto sure about private school myself, but my parents didnt send me to one because my mum disagreed with them morally, hence why i didnt try for a scholarship for secondry or 6th form
    HAHAHA!! ok then......:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izinku)
    I sincerely hope so I dislike private education out of principle, but not the people themselves. It's not like most students get a say anyway, and as long as the option is there we cant blame people for exploiting it. It is the Government's fault for allowing money to dictate the quality of education.
    Okay -that's fine then. Yes, like you said, if the resource is there then certain people will inevitably take advantage of it.

Will the problem solving, I'm just first taking my time to extract only the necessary information - lots of the tables tend to be useless. Reading the question a couple of times helps also - I find I lose marks on unecessary errors...the actual maths involved in each question tends to be straightforward once you discover what the question is actually asking - I guess that's the problem though...

ReputationRep:
    Ah the good news is that I am entered for the TSA.
    The bad news is that I still havent been acknowledged.

The even worse news is that I really dont undestand this question (eventhough it is meant to be really simple)...I think I have a mind-block

A department in a store is having a sale. The advertising hoarding for the sale is shown below:

ALL GOODS 40% OFF MARKED PRICES!
    IF YOU BUY $100 WORTH OF GOODS OR MORE
    (AT MARKED PRICES) YOU GET 60% OFF ALL YOU BUY.

Clearly, if you buy just under $100 worth of goods, you would be better off to buy some more in order to qualify for the 60% discount.

For what total purchase values (at marked prices) would it be worth your buying more to qualify for the larger discount and either reducing your total bill, or getting extra goods for free?

Edit:
    I now understand it, after looking at the answer...but in the real exam I am not sure whether I would remember the strategy. Could someone give me any tips/general rules to follow when problem solving?

ReputationRep:
    Ah the good news is that I am entered for the TSA.
    The bad news is that I still havent been acknowledged.

The even worse news is that I really dont undestand this question (eventhough it is meant to be really simple)...I think I have a mind-block

A department in a store is having a sale. The advertising hoarding for the sale is shown below:

ALL GOODS 40% OFF MARKED PRICES!
    IF YOU BUY $100 WORTH OF GOODS OR MORE
    (AT MARKED PRICES) YOU GET 60% OFF ALL YOU BUY.

Clearly, if you buy just under $100 worth of goods, you would be better off to buy some more in order to qualify for the 60% discount.

For what total purchase values (at marked prices) would it be worth your buying more to qualify for the larger discount and either reducing your total bill, or getting extra goods for free?
    If your total purchase value is $100, your total bill is $40. If it is any higher than $100, your total bill will increase and thus you wouldn't be getting anything for free or at a lower price. Hence the upper bound of is $100.

For the lower bound: If you buy $100 worth of stuff, your total bill will be $40. However, if you buy stuff valued at $40, your bill is only $24 (since 40*0.6=24). So you need to come up with a figure that, when multiplied by 0.6, gives 40.
    40/0.6=66.6666...
    To check this, let's say that your total purchase value is $66.666... Your final bill is $40. Now if you increase your purchase value beyond this 66.666... dollars, you will never be able to save money or get free items, since you'll be paying at least $40 even if you qualify for the 60% discount.

So, intervals for which buying more makes sense: $66.666...<X<$100, where X is the total value of your purchases.

Edit: Sorry, quoted you too quick. Oh whatever, I'll just leave it here in case someone else is struggling (unless my answer is wrong? :confused:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mortifera)
    Hey... the ones I seem to have trouble on on the practice TSA are those in which you are asked to choose which similar statement is "most parallel" to the one provided.

They all consist of the same basic parts, and usually all have conjectures similar to those in the one they provide. Are you all doing it like one has "bad fact -> bad fact -> bright side of the two bad facts" and trying to match them that way or is just just more fluid than that?
    Dont pay attention to the actual meaning behind the claims, if that makes sense.

Try to identify the conclusion and the reasons, for example if the original claim is (examples from the specimen paper)

If you want to earn a good salary these days, you have to gain considerable experience of working abroad. Since I've always wanted to earn a huge salary, it's obvious that I'm going to have to leave this country for some period of time.

Which of the following most closely parallels the reasoning used in the argument above?

A) If I had more time to spend on this project, I know that it would be very successful. I've been told that I'm not going to be given enough time, so the project isn't going to succeed.
    B) Sam knew that if he wanted to write a film script, he'd have to learn the special techniques needed for such scripts. He has enrolled on a course to learn how to write them, so he'll soon be writing his first script.
    C) If the Foreign Secretary can bring the two sides together for talks, there's a good chance for peace. Peace is something that both sides want, so he'll be talking to both sides soon.
    D) If the doctor thinks that you should be allowed out of bed for a short while, then you must be recovering well from your operation. You have recovered much quicker than she thought you would have, so you'll be out of bed a lot from now on.
    E) Annie says that if she really wants to win the London Marathon race, she'll have to train very hard every day. She told me that she is determined to win the London Marathon, so that means she'll be working hard on her training programme every day from now on.

The line of reasoning in the original claim is (and I apologise for my poor attempt at this, I know it isnt the proper way :s )

If A, need B. Since I want A, I must do B.

The line of reasoning for the multiple choice options :

A) If A, then B. Not A, therefore not B.
    B) If A, need B. B, therefore A is to follow.
    C) If A, then B. B is desirable, so he will attempt A (i dont even know how to represent this in letters)
    D) If A, then B. B, therefore A is to follow.
    E) If A, need B. She wants A, therefore must do B.

You can see that the correct answer is E, as it is most similar to the original line of reasoning. I am not sure I explained this clearly, so ask if you need more clarification.. or maybe someone else can try explaining it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roundabout)
    If your total purchase value is $100, your total bill is $40. If it is any higher than $100, your total bill will increase and thus you wouldn't be getting anything for free or at a lower price. Hence the upper bound of is $100.

For the lower bound: If you buy $100 worth of stuff, your total bill will be $40. However, if you buy stuff valued at $40, your bill is only $24 (since 40*0.6=24). So you need to come up with a figure that, when multiplied by 0.6, gives 40.
    40/0.6=66.6666...
    To check this, let's say that your total purchase value is $66.666... Your final bill is $40. Now if you increase your purchase value beyond this 66.666... dollars, you will never be able to save money or get free items, since you'll be paying at least $40 even if you qualify for the 60% discount.

So, intervals for which buying more makes sense: $66.666...<X<$100, where X is the total value of your purchases.

Edit: Sorry, quoted you too quick. Oh whatever, I'll just leave it here in case someone else is struggling (unless my answer is wrong? :confused:)
    Yes this is correct They specified $99.99 as the upper bound, but with multiple choice this shouldnt be a problem

ReputationRep:
    As everyone has been arguing about whether to pay the $1500 for coaching, do you think it is better to wait and spend money on their interview preparation? (of course that's if I pass the TSA). I gave them a call, you get interview prep with students currently doing the course you want to do at the college where you are applying.

Can someone offer me advice please? Thank You

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jnm008)
    As everyone has been arguing about whether to pay the $1500 for coaching, do you think it is better to wait and spend money on their interview preparation? (of course that's if I pass the TSA). I gave them a call, you get interview prep with students currently doing the course you want to do at the college where you are applying.

Yes. Save your money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jnm008)

This can't be true.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, http://www.oxbridgeapplications.com/ which is the most well know prep organisation, is utter ********. I've read their book, had 2 sessions with one of their ex-staff (he had moved to my college), and none of their advice was well-founded or useful. The session consisted of him shouting at me, and not giving me any time to think because apparently some tutors take a more aggressive approach and try to intimidate you. He would also ask me what I thought about particular current affairs which I wasnt familiar with, patronise me for it, and effectively attack every single thing I said. This all made me feel really rubbish because I am not someone who is aggressive or speaks over people, so in the end of the 'preparation' my confidence was really down.

In comparison, my Ox interview last year and my friends' interviews, were nothing of the sort - the tutors were friendly and patient and asked only substantial questions, without going off on crazy tangents that have nothing to do with your subject/PS.

My mentor from BCG who did PPE at Oxford organised a prep session with two of her friends who also did PPE. They asked me some general questions around my PS, stretched the topics I had mentioned already and gave me useful tips like 'Dont fidget because it distracts from what are you saying', or 'Explain your thought process in full' because I tend to think privately and go through my reasons and conclusions quickly, rather than explain how exactly I came to the conclusion.

ReputationRep:
    My view on all the coaching stuff is that it's a waste of money.

However, I need to clarify that. People like to point to all the successes of private schools and such and it's true they are far more successful on average. This is, I reckon very different though. I think a consistently good education over a long period of time will give you an advantage and this is where private schools come into their own. I don't think that a short course in interview technique or whatever will give anything like enough benefit to account for the costs.

ReputationRep:
    You can see that the correct answer is E, as it is most similar to the original line of reasoning. I am not sure I explained this clearly, so ask if you need more clarification.. or maybe someone else can try explaining it
    Ah! Okay. No, that really helps a lot. I was unsure which aspects of the statements I was supposed to be comparing to determine how "parallel" they were, but your explanation helps a lot.

Thank you!

(Original post by cutout1029)
    Is anyone else here an international taking the TSA?
    Does anybody have any idea whatsoever when we're supposed to receive the test materials/take the test? I was told it'd be around -5 GMT (2 pm, eastern time for those US-ers) but I'm not sure when my examinations officer is going to actually get the materials. I'm slightly terrified of not getting them, and getting shafted in the process...
    I am actually taking mine at 9:00 AM central time :/
    I assume that my test proctor, who has been in contact with Cambridge Assessment, has arranged everything.
    I think I am going to just be prepared to be flexible on the timing that day, though.

ReputationRep:
    Ah! Okay. No, that really helps a lot. I was unsure which aspects of the statements I was supposed to be comparing to determine how "parallel" they were, but your explanation helps a lot.

Thank you!
    I am glad I helped What course are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    I am glad I helped What course are you applying for?
    I am applying for PPE at New!
    I see you are applying to Worcester! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Another PPE applicant!!

How's prep going?

ReputationRep:
    Okay Im officially getting depressed over my problem solving abilities (or lack of)

Here's the question:

A ferry connects the towns of Upton and Lowside, which are on a river. The river flows at a constant speed of 4km/h. It takes the ferry 5h to go from Lowside to Upton but only 1h for the return journey. How far apart are the two towns?

What confused me at first was that they do not mention in this question if the ferry's speed (minus the river's) is constant. Also, they do not mention which way the river flows ( we can only guess that it is from Lowside to Upton if we assume that the speed is constant)

I tried to solve the question with a simple algebra equation

(4 + x) = 5(-4 + x )
    x= 6km/h

Therefore
    1(6 + 4 ) =10km

This is the right answer, but then I looked at the book's method of solving this and I have no clue what they are talking about. Here is their explanation:

In 1h the ferry travels 1/5 as far upstream as it does downstream, so the upstream speed must be 1/5 of the downstream speed. If the speed of the river is 4km/h, the speed of the ferry must be 6km/h (2km/h upstream and 10km/h downstream). Thus the distance between the towns is 10km.

I dont get how they are calculating the numbers Someone please explain? Am I doing this wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Hey mortifera i am applying to new for ppe too! =)
    so u live in the us?

ReputationRep:
    I tried to solve the question with a simple algebra equation

(4 + x) = 5(-4 + x )
    x= 6km/h

Therefore
    1(6 + 4 ) =10km

This is the right answer, but then I looked at the book's method of solving this and I have no clue what they are talking about. Here is their explanation:

In 1h the ferry travels 1/5 as far upstream as it does downstream, so the upstream speed must be 1/5 of the downstream speed. If the speed of the river is 4km/h, the speed of the ferry must be 6km/h (2km/h upstream and 10km/h downstream). Thus the distance between the towns is 10km.

I dont get how they are calculating the numbers Someone please explain? Am I doing this wrong?
    Your solution is just an algebraic form of the explanation.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.