Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyway lol..... back on topic guys.
    I just did the essay question on being a successful leader and it really wasn't too bad. i basically wrote both are gd to a certain extent but too much of either is not good. Also, completely depends on definition of "successful". In my evaluation I said that actually being respected seems much better than the two options cos it offers a kind of synthesis between the two, gaining the best out of both of them whilst also eliminating the weaknesses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merk that Sike of a Mike)
    Anyway lol..... back on topic guys.
    I just did the essay question on being a successful leader and it really wasn't too bad. i basically wrote both are gd to a certain extent but too much of either is not good. Also, completely depends on definition of "successful". In my evaluation I said that actually being respected seems much better than the two options cos it offers a kind of synthesis between the two, gaining the best out of both of them whilst also eliminating the weaknesses.
    I'm pretty sure that question was a strong reference to Machiavelli. He raised & answered this question in The Prince; to be a successful leader, it is best to be both loved and feared, but if you have to choose one above the other, choose to be feared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    I'm pretty sure that question was a strong reference to Machiavelli. He raised & answered this question in The Prince; to be a successful leader, it is best to be both loved and feared, but if you have to choose one above the other, choose to be feared.
    I feel stupid now, I need to read this book.

(Original post by izinku)
    I feel stupid now, I need to read this book.
    i want to read it but i just dont have the time to do all this reading anymore!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trollman)
    i want to telling me to read it but i just dont have the time to do all this reading anymore!

lol I feel the same way, and ironically we're not even at uni yet.

lol I feel the same way, and ironically we're not even at uni yet.
    ino its crazy, like we are sposed to read lots of ppe stuff read round our a levels get good grades have a social life and in my case have a job! its just too much lol!

ReputationRep:
    hello

im hoping to do EP at oxford, and am booked ffor the TSA on the 4th november.

should i have already done an essay? it hasnt been mentioned

ReputationRep:
    no but don't forget they're not testing on content, your actual knowledge of the Prince or anything like that, they want to see how you think and organise ideas.
    They would be far more impressed with an essay that showed both sides of the argument and gave an evaluation and was clear and concise etc rather than an essay that just regurgitated some Machiavelli, as that isn't showing any particular skill.

no but don't forget they're not testing on content, your actual knowledge of the Prince or anything like that, they want to see how you think and organise ideas.
    They would be far more impressed with an essay that showed both sides of the argument and gave an evaluation and was clear and concise etc rather than an essay that just regurgitated some Machiavelli, as that isn't showing any particular skill.
    thats what i am counting on

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but the thing about political philosophy is that some guy's already made the argument, and if you're familiar with it, you can just regurgitate it. In a maths exam you're not asked to prove that 1=1 or that 1+1=2 etc. You can take it for granted that it's true. Same with philosophy - you don't have to sit down by a fire and ponder your existence, you can just read Descartes and come to the same conclusion he did.

I was just using that question as an example, as it's pretty much a direct quote from Machiavelli, who is quite a 'mainstream' thinker or whatever. I'd be lost on all of the others.

EDIT: I also think they'd be pretty bored of seeing an: intro, for, against, conclusion (synthesis) argument.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but the thing about political philosophy is that some guy's already made the argument, and if you're familiar with it, you can just regurgitate it. In a maths exam you're not asked to prove that 1=1 or that 1+1=2 etc. You can take it for granted that it's true. Same with philosophy - you don't have to sit down by a fire and ponder your existence, you can just read Descartes and come to the same conclusion he did.

I was just using that question as an example, as it's pretty much a direct quote from Machiavelli, who is quite a 'mainstream' thinker or whatever. I'd be lost on all of the others.
    I'm sorry but I think they'll definitely be looking for people who think for themselves and evaluate, people who don't just believe what they read without questioning it. If you question it and evaluate the view that you've quoted and end up agreeing with it that's fine, but that's very different from just regurgitating something.
    The whole point of philosophy is to question things, think for yourself and try to find answers, surely?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but I think they'll definitely be looking for people who think for themselves and evaluate, people who don't just believe what they read without questioning it. If you question it and evaluate the view that you've quoted and end up agreeing with it that's fine, but that's very different from just regurgitating something.
    The whole point of philosophy is to question things, think for yourself and try to find answers, surely?
    If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants

ReputationRep:
    It is definitely a Machiavelli reference.

I did my IB Extended Essay on The Prince and I questioned Machiavelli's argument for a strong Italy. I also did this practice essay and, despite my knowledge of Machiavelli's argument, I weighed up both sides of the argument, also looking at how one defines 'success,' and then suggested that perhaps being feared is not the best option even if it may secure one's reign...Although they may be bored of the 'intro-reasons for-reasons against-conclusion' structure, surely they still want to see some original ideas?

ReputationRep:
    The Butterworth book is really frustrating me, the questions are so bad

The country of Hanotia prints stamps in the following denominations:
    1c, 2c, 5c, 9c, 13c, 22c, 36c, 50c, $1.00, $5.00

A main order company sends out equal numbers of three sizes of package, which incur postal charges of 34c, 67c and $1.43. They want to stock as few different denominations of stamp as possible (but not only 1c stamps as sticking lots of these on the envelopes would be a nuisance)

Which ones should they stock?

Of course their answer is long and complicated, but the question can easily be answered 1c and 2c (since only 1c is not allowed). What does everyone else think?

ReputationRep:
    The Butterworth book is really frustrating me, the questions are so bad

The country of Hanotia prints stamps in the following denominations:
    1c, 2c, 5c, 9c, 13c, 22c, 36c, 50c, $1.00, $5.00

A main order company sends out equal numbers of three sizes of package, which incur postal charges of 34c, 67c and $1.43. They want to stock as few different denominations of stamp as possible (but not only 1c stamps as sticking lots of these on the envelopes would be a nuisance)

Which ones should they stock?

Of course their answer is long and complicated, but the question can easily be answered 1c and 2c (since only 1c is not allowed). What does everyone else think?
    But their point is that sticking a ton of stamps to a letter is impractical :cool: . Although it's not worded great, I think, seeing as we know it's a 'problem solving'-type question that we're going to need to find some efficient solution (1p would be too easy!)

Spoiler:
    Show
    i don't know if this is right, as it's like, 2am, but:
    34 = 22 + 9 + 2 + 1
    67 = 22 x 3 + 1
    143 = 22 x 6 + 9 + 2
    so it's 22, 9, 2 and 1?

ReputationRep:
    But their point is that sticking a ton of stamps to a letter is impractical :cool: . Although it's not worded great, I think, seeing as we know it's a 'problem solving'-type question that we're going to need to find some efficient solution (1p would be too easy!)

Spoiler:
    Show
    i don't know if this is right, as it's like, 2am, but:
    34 = 22 + 9 + 2 + 1
    67 = 22 x 3 + 1
    143 = 22 x 6 + 9 + 2
    so it's 22, 9, 2 and 1?
    lol yes that is the answer. The wording of the question is still annoying though, they really ought to had taken better care with it!

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that there are a bunch of possible "sets-of-two" you could choose.
    My inclination would be to choose 22c and 1c for the sole reason that they mentioned they do not want to stick lots of stamps on. I haven't figured it out if this would be the best method to have the fewest stamps on each though, but without working it out I would guess that.

Edit: Just saw the above poster. So the point is to have the fewest stamps on each possible and stock the fewest different denominations.. I gotcha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mortifera)
    The problem is that there are a bunch of possible "sets-of-two" you could choose.
    My inclination would be to choose 22c and 1c for the sole reason that they mentioned they do not want to stick lots of stamps on. I haven't figured it out if this would be the best method to have the fewest stamps on each though, but without working it out I would guess that.

Edit: Just saw the above poster. So the point is to have the fewest stamps on each possible and stock the fewest different denominations.. I gotcha
    Well in the real exam that would probably be the question...In this example it only says fewest denominations

ReputationRep:
    Well in the real exam that would probably be the question...In this example it only says fewest denominations
    Thank goodness :p:

ReputationRep:
    If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants
    Using a quote to back up relying on quotes?
    That's not circular reasoning or anything :p:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.