Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done any of the section 2 questions? and would they like to send them to me as a comparison :P

I have done

Should parking fines be based on drivers income?

and...

When, if ever, is forgiveness wrong.

but i want to do all the previous ones as preparation because i find this section tough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    I'm pretty sure that question was a strong reference to Machiavelli. He raised & answered this question in The Prince; to be a successful leader, it is best to be both loved and feared, but if you have to choose one above the other, choose to be feared.
    Also, I looked on the TSA Section 2 2008 paper, and it said this about the essay:
    This is not a test of knowledge, nor is it assumed that the questions have right or wrong answers. If the question requires you to make judgements and express your opinions try to provide coherent arguments to support your views, and consider the merits of possible counter arguments.

ReputationRep:
    hello

im hoping to do EP at oxford, and am booked ffor the TSA on the 4th november.

should i have already done an essay? it hasnt been mentioned
    Edit/Delete Message

(Original post by konrad7)
    hello

im hoping to do EP at oxford, and am booked ffor the TSA on the 4th november.

should i have already done an essay? it hasnt been mentioned
    Edit/Delete Message
    what do you mean? the essay is the second part of the exam, you get 30 minutes to do it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merk that Sike of a Mike)
    Using a quote to back up relying on quotes?
    That's not circular reasoning or anything :p:
    The irony was intended, but it seemed to have missed you.
    Also, I looked on the TSA Section 2 2008 paper, and it said this about the essay:
    I'm just saying that say you have a theory on how markets are most efficient, etc. You'll back that opinion up with arguments from certain Economists, like Keynes, Hayek, etc. The same applies to theories of Justice, Authority etc.

If I was convinced my Machiavelli's argument, then my opinion on what constitutes a successful leader would be similar to his, and I could back this up with an argument.

Isn't that the whole point on reading things like philosophy? You learn about new arguments and bring more subsistence to your opinions.

ReputationRep:
    The irony was intended, but it seemed to have missed you.
    Lol sorry my bad i can't really tell with this cyber communication ting xD

I'm just saying that say you have a theory on how markets are most efficient, etc. You'll back that opinion up with arguments from certain Economists, like Keynes, Hayek, etc. The same applies to theories of Justice, Authority etc.

If I was convinced my Machiavelli's argument, then my opinion on what constitutes a successful leader would be similar to his, and I could back this up with an argument.

Isn't that the whole point on reading things like philosophy? You learn about new arguments and bring more subsistence to your opinions.
    Yeah sure but that's not really what you were saying originally, which if i need to remind you was this :
    Yeah but the thing about political philosophy is that some guy's already made the argument, and if you're familiar with it, you can just regurgitate it.
    which doesn't seem to fit with this:
    (Original post by Essay description)
    This is not a test of knowledge, nor is it assumed that the questions have right or wrong answers. If the question requires you to make judgements and express your opinions try to provide coherent arguments to support your views, and consider the merits of possible counter arguments.

ReputationRep:

Yeah sure but that's not really what you were saying originally, which if i need to remind you was this :

What I said more recently was just a more elaborate/reasoned version of what I said originally.

ReputationRep:

What I said more recently was just a more elaborate/reasoned version of what I said originally.
    Haha - guys, I am loving this little dispute here!

(Original post by Graphix)
    Haha - guys, I am loving this little dispute here!
    only one way to sort it..... CAGE MATCH!!!
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trollman)
    only one way to sort it..... CAGE MATCH!!!
    :p:
    Exactly what I had in mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Graphix)
    Exactly what I had in mind
    I'm up for it!! :stomp:

Lol no but seriously i think we were kind of just mis-communicating, as in at first it sounded like you meant that there was a "right" answer which was machiavelli.
    And then i thought that you were advocating simply regurgitating a view without challenging it, but then you obviously corrected me on that

ReputationRep:
    You are both saying the same thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izinku)
    You are both saying the same thing
    You think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBosley)
    Has anyone done any of the section 2 questions? and would they like to send them to me as a comparison :P

I have done

Should parking fines be based on drivers income?

and...

When, if ever, is forgiveness wrong.

but i want to do all the previous ones as preparation because i find this section tough.
    Hi there mate, i thought that the parking one was quite straight forward as you could easily talk about how a uniform fine would be fair as it would treat everyone equally etc, but then it would imply that rich people would be able to break the law but poor people wouldn't. This would mean that some people would still park against the law despite the fine, as it would be so small so as to be insignificant. Also it could be argued that it's not fair that poor people are made to pay a far higher proportion of their income for the fine than a rich person.
    &loads of other points like that could be made.
    What did you write for the forgiveness one? Cos i havent really got much clue as to what i'd write about that!! =S

ReputationRep:
    I received a worrying email from Oxford today, which in part acknowledged my application but also stated that they did not have me down for the TSA. Both my Exams Officer and Cambridge Assessment confirmed that I am taking it, but it looks like I'm under two different IDs. The one that Cambridge Assessment have is the one I got when I registered on apply and the one that Oxford have is the one that my application reverted back to (my old ID no. from a previous cycle). I replied to Oxford's email explaining the sitch, so hopefully it'll be sorted out soonish.

hmmmmm

ReputationRep:
    I'm finished with the book, the Problem Solving section was largely disappointing. I am now going to do a practice test... the moment of truth awaits :eek3:

ah for the 2008 one I got 39 correct, 7 wrong, and didn't have time for 4. If we ignore the weighting, 85% correct on the ones I answered, and 78% overall I dont know how people are getting 90s effortlessly

Roughly comparing this to my last year's score, I have moved from the top 40% to the top 4%, so I have made some progress I guess lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izinku)
    I'm finished with the book, the Problem Solving section was largely disappointing. I am now going to do a practice test... the moment of truth awaits :eek3:

ah for the 2008 one I got 39 correct, 7 wrong, and didn't have time for 4. If we ignore the weighting, 85% correct on the ones I answered, and 78% overall I dont know how people are getting 90s effortlessly

Roughly comparing this to my last year's score, I have moved from the top 40% to the top 4%, so I have made some progress I guess lol
    top 4%?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there mate, i thought that the parking one was quite straight forward as you could easily talk about how a uniform fine would be fair as it would treat everyone equally etc, but then it would imply that rich people would be able to break the law but poor people wouldn't. This would mean that some people would still park against the law despite the fine, as it would be so small so as to be insignificant. Also it could be argued that it's not fair that poor people are made to pay a far higher proportion of their income for the fine than a rich person.
    &loads of other points like that could be made.
    What did you write for the forgiveness one? Cos i havent really got much clue as to what i'd write about that!! =S

yeh i'm with you on the parking one, i would love something like that to come up this time around...

I started with a little intro about forgiveness is to excuse someone who has wronged you etc etc and we have all wronged someone and at times must ask for forgivenss ourselves

but then brought in some things that could be argued as unforgivable (e.g. could you ever forgive someone who killed a loved one, that kind of thing)

I was finding it really hard not to bring religion into it because i felt like a lot of what i was writing sounded like the bible anyway but i did put in a paragraph about how christians believe jesus died to forgive us all so they would argue we should forgive each other of anything.

Didnt really come to much a conclusion only that forgiveness is something that cannot really be decided upon but is a natural feeling just as hate is in the first place, and that sometimes people never stop feeling hate so can never forgive.

In your introduction are you bothering with repeating the question and defining key terms. I'm not sure whether to or not because it's only 30mins so i felt it might be better just to get on with it.

Anyway just about to start the successful leader one now. Have you looked at that yet?? xx

ReputationRep:
    hi guys ! i have applied for E&M to hertford..and have just been reading throught this thread - good to know i'm not the only one kind of stressed about the TSA! anyone have any advise on how to go about the essay section?? and is it advisable to argue and weigh up two sides of a topic or better to just argue one side?? thanks ..

ReputationRep:
    top 4%?
    From the results explanation sheet :yes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.