Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The median of people applying is about 65, according to a graph I saw somewhere.
    What the average would be for people getting in is anyone's guess, because it's not clear how much they do or do not rely on it. As far as I know, it's not that big of a factor, as long as you score around 60 or higher and the rest of your stuff is good, you should get an interview. If the rest is not so good, scoring higher might help.

ReputationRep:
    If the college says it's fine, it's fine. They do make exceptions for internationals, and if there isn't a centre, it isn't really your fault.
    If the rest of your application is weak and you were hoping to really impress them with the test, it might be a bit of a disadvantage. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    If the college says it's fine then it's fine, and they're not going to reject you outright because you missed it. BUT if it comes down to choosing between you and another candidate to invite for inteview (ie if other parts of your application are weaker) and they already have a good TSA score then you could still lose out.

ReputationRep:
    It varies a reasonable amount each year so even having last year's number wouldn't really help you. I think as with all admissions tests that it's not huuuuuugely important in that a bad score won't kill you if everything else is good, although a very good score might get you an interview if you were an otherwise borderline candidate.

ReputationRep:
    I got above the average and still didn't get an interview because my written part of the TSA was really bad so you have to do fairly well in all parts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trollman)
    i dont understand the Q&A session, is it in person? or is it an online thing?
    I believe it is an online session using special conference software. I am waiting for them to reply to my email.

We can have a mini-TSR reunion in the session on Wed.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    The practice said it was 64 or something, I would imagine good candidates easily beat that though. On the practice I beat that in like half the time - Its like a really basic IQ test lol.

I would guess around 70-75 would be fine, as said its not something which is going to matter too much. I would proffer that its more a case of a really low score would loose you an interview?

Not sure.
    <3

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know how to convert the x/50 score (section 1 multiple choice) into a out the x/100 score? or can you just double your score?
    i had 36/50 right answers, would that be 72%??

TSA isn't actually weighed like that...
    Its weighed by the difficulty of the queston and then a score is dictated from that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagikMonkey)
    I hope that wasn't a TSA question, I haven't studied probability... Thanks for the answer though!

I'm sure that's a good score. The multiple choice questions are my strength (not looking forward to the essay...), and I got 46 (92%) in 70 minutes on the 2008 paper. I can't see how a score of 86% would be below average...
    Can anyone suggest any resources for problem solving? I looked at some mensa puzzles but they were only implicitly helpful...

Any TSA problem solving style stuff would be really helpful! I'll err.. post lots of smileys!!! thankss

ReputationRep:
    You can't, since the TSA scores are weighted according to relative question difficulty (Rasch model).

ReputationRep:
    Just attempted last years paper, and got 43/50, which I'm pleasantly surprised with!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone done any practice essays from the specimen paper/November 08 paper which they have typed on their computer.
    If so, would it be possible for you to email me one of your practice essays so I can see how I would go about writing the essay, because at the moment I am clueless :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themango)
    I got above the average and still didn't get an interview because my written part of the TSA was really bad so you have to do fairly well in all parts
    Were you a good candidate ignoring TSA? (GCSEs AS A2 reference etc.)

ReputationRep:
    Yikes 32/50 on the specimen paper...

Help me out here guys. I've looked over the ones I got wrong and now understand all but questions 22, 44, 49 and 50. Here's the paper and here are the answers.

22: Just don't understand how it's B.
    44: I get 86... 1st hour; 4 worms + 12 extra ones = 16 worms. Ditto for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th hours means after 4 hours you have used 16 x 4 = 64 worms. For the 5th pond, you're there for 1.5 hours = 4 worms + 18 extra ones = 22. 22 + 64 = 86 worms in total...? But its wrong?!?
    49: No idea!! HELP!!! lol
    50: I get 09:20 rather than 09:30 because you want the meat being done last so that means "prepare meat" (10mins) followed by "cook meat" (120mins) followed by "carve meat" (5mins) follwed by "prepare gravy..." (5mins)......... However, you also need to use the oven for the bread FIRST (prior to using it for meat as they want the meat doing last) SO before all of the above, you want to "prepare bread dough" (20mins) followed by "bake bread..." (60mins). The rest can all be done whilst this stuff is in the oven.10+120+5+5+20+60= 220 minutes. 220 minutes before 13:00 is 09:20?!?!?!??!?! Not 09:30?!?! HELP!!!

Similar to what someone above said, it would be great if those of you (us) who have done a Section B answer could post it on here to be seen by others / looked at how it could be improved, esp as you aren't disadvantaged by letting a few people see one of your revsion answers.... but then you'd see other peoples' too..) Just an idea.

Thanks for help in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rev_pain)
    Were you a good candidate ignoring TSA? (GCSEs AS A2 reference etc.)
    Good reference
    My GCSEs were average 6A*s 2As 1B
    My A2 predictions were AAA
    I'm pretty sure it was due to the TSA they use it as a good way to eliminate candidates from interview
    I wouldn't worry as long as you're fairly competent at maths and english you should be ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laconic)
    I only got 35/50 on the specimen paper and ended up with an offer; don't worry, the real thing was considerably easier (in my opinion). From anecdotal evidence, you only need to do well enough in the TSA to secure an interview, which is the most important aspect of the whole process.

Good luck.
    Don't suppose you could help me out on this :o:

44 Sally is helping her father dig worms for fishing.
    "That's exactly enough," he says as she places a worm in his tin.
    "How many do you need?" she enquires.
    "I use 4 worms on my hook and reckon on having to replace an average of one of these
    each time I cast. I cast 12 times an hour. Today I will fish 5 pools spending an hour at
    the first 4 and an hour and a half at the fifth. I always discard the worms on my hook
    when walking between pools."
    How many worms are in the tin?
    A 66
    B 69
    C 81
    D 86
    E 264

I got D as explained above but the answer is
    Spoiler:
    Show
    C?!?!?!?!

+ the others in my other post (though Q. 44 is the one I most want the answer for because I'm SURE I'm right!! lol).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PGtips92)
    Don't suppose you could help me out on this :o:

44 Sally is helping her father dig worms for fishing.
    "That's exactly enough," he says as she places a worm in his tin.
    "How many do you need?" she enquires.
    "I use 4 worms on my hook and reckon on having to replace an average of one of these
    each time I cast. I cast 12 times an hour. Today I will fish 5 pools spending an hour at
    the first 4 and an hour and a half at the fifth. I always discard the worms on my hook
    when walking between pools."
    How many worms are in the tin?
    A 66
    B 69
    C 81
    D 86
    E 264

I got D as explained above but the answer is
    Spoiler:
    Show
    C?!?!?!?!

+ the others in my other post (though Q. 44 is the one I most want the answer for because I'm SURE I'm right!! lol).
    Sally's father uses 4 worms for his first cast of the hour. If he casts 12 times in total, he uses 15 worms an hour (4 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 15).

Now, he uses 15 worms an hour, but - between each pool - discards all worms and starts afresh. On this basis, for each of the pools he spends one hour at, he uses 15 worms. Thus, for the first four pools, he has used 60 worms (15 + 15 + 15 + 15 = 60).

For the final pool, he's there for an hour and a half, which will mean he casts 18 times. This will involve the use of 21 worms (4 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 21)

Therefore, in total, he's used 81 worms (15 + 15 + 15 + 15 + 21 = 81).

Does that make sense?

EDIT: Can't help with any more right now as I'm in the middle of a horrible set of economics problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laconic)
    Sally's father uses 4 worms for his first cast of the hour. If he casts 12 times in total, he uses 15 worms an hour (4 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 15).
    Thanks for your help.

This is the only bit I don't get: if he casts ONCE an hour, he needs 4 + 1 worms per hour (5), no? So if he casts 12 times in total, doesn't he use 16 worms an hour rather than 15?

Just realised your right (once an hour = put 4 worms on, reel it in, lost 1 but then move to next pool any way therefore its 4 worms for 1 cast. I see . Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themango)
    Good reference
    My GCSEs were average 6A*s 2As 1B
    My A2 predictions were AAA
    I'm pretty sure it was due to the TSA they use it as a good way to eliminate candidates from interview
    I wouldn't worry as long as you're fairly competent at maths and english you should be ok
    well got an A and B for eng. lit. and language at GCSE but got A* for everything else so english is a weakness

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.