Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wow.

Just did the specimen paper, finished it in time and got 41/50 :woo:

I got 11, 16, 21, 22, 38, 39, 41, 44 and 48 wrong.

Edit:
    (Original post by PGtips92)
    49: No idea!! HELP!!! lol
    50: I get 09:20 rather than 09:30 because you want the meat being done last so that means "prepare meat" (10mins) followed by "cook meat" (120mins) followed by "carve meat" (5mins) follwed by "prepare gravy..." (5mins)......... However, you also need to use the oven for the bread FIRST (prior to using it for meat as they want the meat doing last) SO before all of the above, you want to "prepare bread dough" (20mins) followed by "bake bread..." (60mins). The rest can all be done whilst this stuff is in the oven.10+120+5+5+20+60= 220 minutes. 220 minutes before 13:00 is 09:20?!?!?!??!?! Not 09:30?!?! HELP!!!
    Now I'm pretty bad at finding the most efficient/logical ways through problems, and probably even worse at explaining things, but here's what I did:
    My reasoning for 49:
    For this, I imagined how much you were actually spending with the savings included, compared to what you'd get if there were no savings.

For Make It, you save 5% per £100 spent, compared to Saw Sharp. With Saw Sharp, you save £5 per £100 spent. We therefore know they have the same 'long run' value for money.
    Nuts'n Bolts have the same prices as Saw Sharp, but this time you save £6 in £100, which we can easily see is better than Saw Sharp, and since we know Saw Sharp = Make It, we know Nuts'n Bolts are better than both Saw Sharp and Make It.
    Trowel Trader are 5% more expensive than Saw Sharp, but you get £10 back. If you bought items worth £100 in 'raw value', it'd cost £105 from Trowel Trader, and £100 from Saw Sharp. You save £10 from Trowel Trader, and £5 from Saw Sharp, which both comes out to £95, so Trowel Trader is equal to Saw Sharp (and hence Make It)
    You should easily be able to tell that Plumb It is exactly the same as Trowel Trader, as 10% dearer than Make It = 5% dearer than Saw Sharp.

Therefore, Nuts'n Bolts is the best value for money in the long run.

For 50, you can prepare the bread dough while the meat's in the oven, and after/before you've done the vegetables. I wouldn't be too disheartened by you getting this wrong, as the correct reasoning was there, you just made a tiny mistake.

I probably explained this really badly. Don't worry if you don't understand :o:

Btw, to anyone that both watches the West Wing and did the specimen paper, when reading the extract for question 35, did you instantly think "post hoc ergo propter hoc" before reading the answers? :P

ReputationRep:
    hi, I'm new to this forum, just thought I'd help out with question 50
    50: I get 09:20 rather than 09:30 because you want the meat being done last so that means "prepare meat" (10mins) followed by "cook meat" (120mins) followed by "carve meat" (5mins) follwed by "prepare gravy..." (5mins)......... However, you also need to use the oven for the bread FIRST (prior to using it for meat as they want the meat doing last) SO before all of the above, you want to "prepare bread dough" (20mins) followed by "bake bread..." (60mins). The rest can all be done whilst this stuff is in the oven.10+120+5+5+20+60= 220 minutes. 220 minutes before 13:00 is 09:20?!?!?!??!?! Not 09:30?!?! HELP!!!
    you got the extra 10 minutes there because you forgot that the "prepare meat-10 min" bit can be done while the bread is in the oven. So:
    prepare dough - 20min
    bake - 1hr / meanwhile prep veg, boil veg and prep meat
    meat in oven - 2hr/ set table
    carve and prepare gravy - 10min
    => 20 + 60 + 120 + 10 = 3h30min
    hope that helped :P

EDIT: oh an answer's already been posted above, didnt refresh for a bit nvm then lol sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    (Original post by Tinny113)
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rev_pain)
    well got an A and B for eng. lit. and language at GCSE but got A* for everything else so english is a weakness
    generally languages were my weakness my As were in English lang and French and my B was in English lit. But the essays aren't that hard I think it was the time pressure that got me, as long as you plan the points at least in your head you should be fine :-)

ReputationRep:
    A bit stuck on this q:
    1) A cyclist averages 7.5 miles an hour on level ground but only 4.5 miles an hour when going up a hill. If the ratio between flat ground and hills was 1:3, what was the cyclist's average mph over 60 miles?
    a) 6mph
    b) 5.5 mph
    c)5.25 mph
    d) 4.75 mph
    e) 6.3 mph

I thought i could do this but i got 5mph as my answer which isn't an option lol
    Answer:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    c) 5.25 mph

ReputationRep:
    Oh and also these ones:

On the M53 is a sign 'Warrington 20'. Just over half a mile further on is another sign
    'Warrington 19'. This is not really surprising, since the distances are rounded to the
    nearest whole number of miles e.g. numbers of 4.5 and over but less than 5 become 5,
    numbers of 4 and over but less than 4.5 become 4. Half a mile futher along the road is a
    sign showing 'Warrington 18'.
    The distance to Warrington must now be between
    A 17.5 miles and 17.6 miles
    B 17.6 miles and 18.0 miles
    C 18.0 miles and 18.2 miles
    D 18.2 miles and 18.4 miles
    E 18.4 miles and 18.5 miles

Three lighthouses are visible from the promenade at Rivermouth. One flashes every 1½
    minutes, another flashes every 2 minutes, and the third flashes every 50 seconds.
    All three have just flashed at the same time.
    How long will it be before they all flash at the same time again?
    A 6.0 minutes
    B 7.5 minutes
    C 10.0 minutes
    D 30.0 minutes
    E 150.0 minutes

(Original post by Merk that Sike of a Mike)
    A bit stuck on this q:
    1) A cyclist averages 7.5 miles an hour on level ground but only 4.5 miles an hour when going up a hill. If the ratio between flat ground and hills was 1:3, what was the cyclist's average mph over 60 miles?
    a) 6mph
    b) 5.5 mph
    c)5.25 mph
    d) 4.75 mph
    e) 6.3 mph

Answer:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    c) 5.25 mph
    i did

7.5 + (3*4.5) = 21

then do 21/4 because of the ratio and you get 5.25

but it worries me that that took so long and i dont think i would have got it without knowing the answer :/ only a week left!

ReputationRep:
    A bit stuck on this q:
    a) 6mph
    b) 5.5 mph
    c)5.25 mph
    d) 4.75 mph
    e) 6.3 mph

Answer:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    c) 5.25 mph
    (Original post by trollman)
    Ratio is 1:3 and so because total distance is 60 miles, that means 15 miles uphill and 45 miles downhill.

You want average mph so you need to add up each mph and divide by the number of mph's... if that makes sense.... so...

(15 miles x 7.5 mph) + (45 miles x 4.5 mph)
    ..........................60................................ ....

= 315 / 60

= 5.25 mph

agreed?

ReputationRep:
    On the M53 is a sign 'Warrington 20'. Just over half a mile further on is another sign
    'Warrington 19'. This is not really surprising, since the distances are rounded to the
    nearest whole number of miles e.g. numbers of 4.5 and over but less than 5 become 5,
    numbers of 4 and over but less than 4.5 become 4. Half a mile futher along the road is a
    For this question, I just worked backwards from the answers. The total distance travelled was 1 mile, and so if you add 1 mile onto the maximum bounds, then you'll see that only one answer can be correct, if the sign said that Warrington was 20 miles away.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It's E
    18.5 + 1 = 19.5
    19.5 rounds up to 20.

Three lighthouses are visible from the promenade at Rivermouth. One flashes every 1½
    minutes, another flashes every 2 minutes, and the third flashes every 50 seconds.
    All three have just flashed at the same time.
    How long will it be before they all flash at the same time again?
    A 6.0 minutes
    B 7.5 minutes
    C 10.0 minutes
    D 30.0 minutes
    E 150.0 minutes
    For this, you can either write out all the times when they flash, and see when you get your first match, but you can also work out the lowest common multiple of the flashes, and this will give you the answer much faster.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It's E
    The prime factors of 90 are: 2 x 3 x 3 x 5
    of 120: 2 x 2 x 2 x 3 x 5
    50: 2 x 5 x 5
    From them, you get 540000, and if you divide that by 3600, you get 150

ReputationRep:
    For this, you can either write out all the times when they flash, and see when you get your first match, but you can also work out the lowest common multiple of the flashes, and this will give you the answer much faster.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It's E
    Spoiler:
    Show
    From the answer key, D is the answer needed...

ReputationRep:
    For this question, I just worked backwards from the answers. The total distance travelled was 1 mile, and so if you add 1 mile onto the maximum bounds, then you'll see that only one answer can be correct, if the sign said that Warrington was 20 miles away.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It's E
    18.5 + 1 = 19.5
    19.5 rounds up to 20.
    You are right, I still don't really understand the reasoning though.

Spoiler:
    Show
    It's E
    This is incorrect, and I worked out how to do it anyway just after i posted it lol.
    There are actually loads of different ways to do this question.
    1) You could just write out the multiples for each of them until u get one that matches (which would take ages),
    2) you could "backsolve" it which means that you would look at each of the answers and look at them individuall to see if they are multiples of 2 mins, 1 min 30 sec and 50 secs.
    Or you could do
    3) which is what i did, which is to find the LCM using prime factors.
    120 secs can be broken down into (2*2*2*5*3) and 90 secs into (2*5*3*3).
    5, 2 and 3 are common so the LCM between these two would be (2*2*2*5*3)*(3)= 360.
    Now we just have to find the LCM of 360 and 50.
    360- (2*2*2*5*3)*(3) 50- (2*5*5)
    2 and 5 are common so answer is: (2*2*2*5*3*3)*(5)= 1800
    this is in secs, so 1800/60= 30.
    therefore answer is 30 mins.

[Edit: where did u get "divide by 3600" from anyway? i don't really get ur reasoning]

ReputationRep:
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

:getmecoat:

To salvage myself slightly, I did get that one right when I took the test yesterday :cool:

ReputationRep:
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

:getmecoat:

To salvage myself slightly, I did get that one right when I took the test yesterday :cool:
    Lool dw, also i just realised i sounded a bit rude in that post so sorry
    Do you get my explanation of it though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PGtips92)
    Ratio is 1:3 and so because total distance is 60 miles, that means 15 miles uphill and 45 miles downhill.

You want average mph so you need to add up each mph and divide by the number of mph's... if that makes sense.... so...

(15 miles x 7.5 mph) + (45 miles x 4.5 mph)
    ..........................60................................ ....

= 315 / 60

= 5.25 mph

agreed?
    Agreed.
    Thank you very much =)

ReputationRep:
    You are right, I still don't really understand the reasoning though.

This is incorrect, and I worked out how to do it anyway just after i posted it lol.
    There are actually loads of different ways to do this question.
    1) You could just write out the multiples for each of them until u get one that matches (which would take ages),
    2) you could "backsolve" it which means that you would look at each of the answers and look at them individuall to see if they are multiples of 2 mins, 1 min 30 sec and 50 secs.
    Or you could do
    3) which is what i did, which is to find the LCM using prime factors.
    120 secs can be broken down into (2*2*2*5*3) and 90 secs into (2*5*3*3).
    5, 2 and 3 are common so the LCM between these two would be (2*2*2*5*3)*(3)= 360.
    Now we just have to find the LCM of 360 and 50.
    360- (2*2*2*5*3)*(3) 50- (2*5*5)
    2 and 5 are common so answer is: (2*2*2*5*3*3)*(5)= 1800
    this is in secs, so 1800/60= 30.
    therefore answer is 30 mins.

[Edit: where did u get "divide by 3600" from anyway? i don't really get ur reasoning]
    I did another way kind of like 1) but... if you change it into seconds, you have 120, 90 and 50 seconds... equivalent to 12, 9 and 5 seconds. The only numbers 12 and 5 go into must end in 0 and so 12 goes into 60, 120, 180, 240, etc. The first of those that 9 goes into is 180. Multiply 180 by 10 (cos i divided by 10 before) and the answer is 1800 seconds. Or 30 mins.

ReputationRep:
    My reasoning for 49:
    For this, I imagined how much you were actually spending with the savings included, compared to what you'd get if there were no savings.

For Make It, you save 5% per £100 spent, compared to Saw Sharp. With Saw Sharp, you save £5 per £100 spent. We therefore know they have the same 'long run' value for money.
    Nuts'n Bolts have the same prices as Saw Sharp, but this time you save £6 in £100, which we can easily see is better than Saw Sharp, and since we know Saw Sharp = Make It, we know Nuts'n Bolts are better than both Saw Sharp and Make It.
    Trowel Trader are 5% more expensive than Saw Sharp, but you get £10 back. If you bought items worth £100 in 'raw value', it'd cost £105 from Trowel Trader, and £100 from Saw Sharp. You save £10 from Trowel Trader, and £5 from Saw Sharp, which both comes out to £95, so Trowel Trader is equal to Saw Sharp (and hence Make It)
    You should easily be able to tell that Plumb It is exactly the same as Trowel Trader, as 10% dearer than Make It = 5% dearer than Saw Sharp.
    to make it easier:

Set Make It as the "normal" prize or 100%

1) Make It: 100%
    2) Saw Sharp: 105% but -5% --> 100% // expl.: 5% dearer than (1) but 5% voucher
    3) Nuts'n Bolts: 105% but -6% --> 99%
    4) Trowel Trader: 110% but -10% --> 100%
    5) Plumb It: 110% but -10% --> 100%

edit: quotefix

ReputationRep:
    Still don't get these two questions:
    1)On the M53 is a sign 'Warrington 20'. Just over half a mile further on is another sign

2) The cog sizes and chain length on a bicycle are designed to even out wear, so that the same
    hole in the chain does not encounter the same tooth on the cog in every revolution. The chain
    wheel (front cog) of a particular bicycle has 48 teeth, the rear cog has 18 teeth and the chain has
    90 holes.

How many revolutions must the front cog do before the chain and both cogs are back in exactly
    the same relative positions (i.e. the same holes are encountering the same teeth on both cogs)?
    A 5
    B 8
    C 15
    D 20
    E 30

ReputationRep:
    Still don't get these two questions:
    1)On the M53 is a sign 'Warrington 20'. Just over half a mile further on is another sign
    I've already answered that early in this thread. During the whole of the 'question', 1 mile total has been travelled. For a sign to say that Warrington was 20 miles away 1 mile ago, you have to be 18.5 miles, as 18.5 + 1 = 19.5. 19.5 rounds up to 20, when factoring in the % error.

2) The cog sizes and chain length on a bicycle are designed to even out wear, so that the same
    hole in the chain does not encounter the same tooth on the cog in every revolution. The chain
    wheel (front cog) of a particular bicycle has 48 teeth, the rear cog has 18 teeth and the chain has
    90 holes.

How many revolutions must the front cog do before the chain and both cogs are back in exactly
    the same relative positions (i.e. the same holes are encountering the same teeth on both cogs)?
    A 5
    B 8
    C 15
    D 20
    E 30
    It's C, right? It's the same as the lighthouse problem that was posted earlier. LCM of 18, 48 and 90 is 720. 720 / 48 = 15?

i got a letter from my college today saying thanks for the app! but now im getting even more worried about the TSA essay section does anyone have any essays they have written that i could take a look at? i am yet to write a practice one i just want to see the kind of length/structure that we could get in 30 minutes!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. Only just started my TSA practice, but I literally cannot get the answer to Number 18 on the Specimen Paper... i'm so confused!

'The island Republic of Outlandia has three banks; Barkers, Floyds and national. During a particular day Barkers customers have written cheques worth three millions Lire to Floyds customers and cheques worth four million Lira to National Customers. Floyds customers have written chequres worth four million lire to barkers customers and cheques worth five million Lire to National customers. National customers have written cheques worth three million Lira to Barkers customers and cheques worth two million Lire to Floyds customers.

The Banks could settle all the debts to each other that arise because of tehse cheques by:

A) Floyds Bank paying one million Lira to Barkers Bank and Barkers Bank paying one million Lira to national bank

B) Floyds bank paying three million Lira to National Bank
    c) Floyds Bank paying four million Lira to National Bank
    D) Barkers Bank paying one million Lira to National Bank
    E) Barkers Bank paying four million Lira to National Bank

Any explanation would be fantastic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.