Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    I've always had the mentality that I'd much rather have 5 rejections instead of like, 3 rejections and 2 offers from universities I wouldn't want to go to. I'd just apply next year with (hopefully) solid A2 grades...
    Yeah....I don't see myself accepting my last resort uni offer just because it's the only one I have...I'd definitely reapply.

Hopefully, I won't need to be in that situation...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caerus)
    I think not to get an offer from anywhere would be a pretty bad sign if you were thinking of re-applying to Oxford to be honest. Also, the quality of teaching and standard of student life is pretty good at all the top five places that offer PPE, so in the grand scheme of things I don't think which one you go to makes that much difference. So It's kind of bizarre that so many people have this attitude, even though I can kind of see that if you get your heart set on somewhere every alternative seems unfeasibly bad.

Perhaps it stems from a desire to go a University with a big name? I heard three lads saying they would take a gap year out (even though they didn't want to) then re-apply if they didn't get into Durham or Oxford, which I personally find fairly incomprehensible considering how similar everywhere seems.

What Unis are you thinking of ? / Applying to ?
    It's not like I have my heart set on Oxford; Oxford's just a pipe-dream. I had a look 'round York, and although the town itself is lovely, the campus leaves much to be desired, and I couldn't imagine myself spending three years of my life there. I don't really care how amazing the teaching is, it's about enjoying yourself, isn't it? Of course, knowing you're getting a good education is a part of that, but there are a lot of other things to consider. If I think I won't enjoy a place, I won't apply there, and I guess that applies to York for me. I don't think I'd accept the offer even if it was my only one.

I don't really know where I'll apply. I hope Oxford will be one of them, and probably a Scottish uni (St. A's or Edinburgh). Beyond that I don't know. I'll try and visit Durham or Warwick whenever they have open days and see what those places are like.

ReputationRep:
    It's not like I have my heart set on Oxford; Oxford's just a pipe-dream. I had a look 'round York, and although the town itself is lovely, the campus leaves much to be desired, and I couldn't imagine myself spending three years of my life there. I don't really care how amazing the teaching is, it's about enjoying yourself, isn't it? Of course, knowing you're getting a good education is a part of that, but there are a lot of other things to consider. If I think I won't enjoy a place, I won't apply there, and I guess that applies to York for me. I don't think I'd accept the offer even if it was my only one.

I don't really know where I'll apply. I hope Oxford will be one of them, and probably a Scottish uni (St. A's or Edinburgh). Beyond that I don't know. I'll try and visit Durham or Warwick whenever they have open days and see what those places are like.
    Fair do's, I know what you mean about the York campus, it did seem a bit dull. And you're right, having a good time is a very close second (read easy first) to how good your end degree is.

Problem is, for PPE there's only five established courses: Oxford, Warwick, Manchester, York and Durham. So if you start ruling out places you're left in a bit of a hole when you consider the offers per applicant ratios.

Truth be told I think I'd probably have a good time anywhere, but it makes it hard when all the Uni's have to market themselves, meaning that the distinctions between places are highlighted to the extent that you end up fretting about it. For example: when I went to York I had a bad first impression as you have to pay a lot to join the gym and each time you play squash, whereas at Warwick it's very cheap. Me and my friend both agreed it was a big cross for York.... until we remembered we hadn't played squash for free at school for about five years. So I'll just say that it's perhaps a but harsh to assume you won't love somewhere because it doesn't quite click first time or slight differences.

On an unrelated note, I thought I'd mention that Southampton are running a PPE degree for the first time in 2010. It's pretty good for all three subjects and high and upwardly mobile in Uni guides, so maybe worth a look if you want somewhere pretty good with a high chance of acceptance.

http://www.soton.ac.uk/study/undergr...economics.html

The only reservations I have are that it might be a bit unorganised as it's the first year, and that as it's an BSC it maybe a bit more sciencey, perhaps more logic papers in Philosophy and Stats for economics. But still, thought it might be of interest to people :rolleyes:

(Original post by Caerus)
    Fair do's, I know what you mean about the York campus, it did seem a bit dull. And you're right, having a good time is a very close second (read easy first) to how good your end degree is.

Problem is, for PPE there's only five established courses: Oxford, Warwick, Manchester, York and Durham. So if you start ruling out places you're left in a bit of a hole when you consider the offers per applicant ratios.

Truth be told I think I'd probably have a good time anywhere, but it makes it hard when all the Uni's have to market themselves, meaning that the distinctions between places are highlighted to the extent that you end up fretting about it. For example: when I went to York I had a bad first impression as you have to pay a lot to join the gym and each time you play squash, whereas at Warwick it's very cheap. Me and my friend both agreed it was a big cross for York.... until we remembered we hadn't played squash for free at school for about five years. So I'll just say that it's perhaps a but harsh to assume you won't love somewhere because it doesn't quite click first time or slight differences.

On an unrelated note, I thought I'd mention that Southampton are running a PPE degree for the first time in 2010. It's pretty good for all three subjects and high and upwardly mobile in Uni guides, so maybe worth a look if you want somewhere pretty good with a high chance of acceptance.

http://www.soton.ac.uk/study/undergr...economics.html

The only reservations I have are that it might be a bit unorganised as it's the first year, and that as it's an BSC it maybe a bit more sciencey, perhaps more logic papers in Philosophy and Stats for economics. But still, thought it might be of interest to people :rolleyes:
    yh ino but in the big ppe thread someone who is at southampton said that they wudnt be offering it for 2010 entry and it doesnt appear on the ucas search :/ itd be nice though!

ppe is an odd course only being offered at a few places and the 5 good ones are AAA-AAB the only decent uni with AAB-ABB is philosophy and political economy which isnt teh same.

yeh i e-mailed southampton and they said they will not be offering ppe for 2010 and when they do, one of the requirements is full A level maths at a grade B.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom gavin)
    yh ino but in the big ppe thread someone who is at southampton said that they wudnt be offering it for 2010 entry and it doesnt appear on the ucas search :/ itd be nice though!

ppe is an odd course only being offered at a few places and the 5 good ones are AAA-AAB the only decent uni with AAB-ABB is philosophy and political economy which isnt teh same.
    I was speaking to a guy who had an offer from Exeter to read philosophy and political economy. He seemed to think it was virtually the same as PPE, he said that theres just more weight on philosophy but because you choose your own modules, you can pretty much make it into whatever you want it to be.

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at a specification paper here - just browsing through it and attempting some questions, and I'm kinda worried now... :o: . Some of the logic/problem solving/math-y type questions seem really hard to do in ~1min30. Anyone know of a way to practise these kind of things? :rolleyes: .

Also, does anyone know of what's considered a 'good' or 'average' mark for the paper? Is, say 70% in the multiple choice a 'good' mark?

ReputationRep:
    :hello:

Just dropping in to say I'm here to help if anyone needs it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    :hello:

Just dropping in to say I'm here to help if anyone needs it!
    Thanks pinkpenguin!

I'll definitely be searching out for you if I have a queries! Congrats on your offer!!

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at a specification paper here - just browsing through it and attempting some questions, and I'm kinda worried now... :o: . Some of the logic/problem solving/math-y type questions seem really hard to do in ~1min30. Anyone know of a way to practise these kind of things? :rolleyes: .

Also, does anyone know of what's considered a 'good' or 'average' mark for the paper? Is, say 70% in the multiple choice a 'good' mark?
    I guess practice is the thing though - the problem is there aren't enough past papers available...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Graphix)
    I guess practice is the thing though - the problem is there aren't enough past papers available...
    If there was a smiley for a sad nod, I'd use it now.

I don't really know of anyway to practice for the TSA. Everyone applying should have a decent essay technique, and it's pretty hard to practice those cheeky problem-solving-logic-y thingies. Perhaps ot's just down to luck on the day :o:

I don't really know of anyway to practice for the TSA. Everyone applying should have a decent essay technique, and it's pretty hard to practice those cheeky problem-solving-logic-y thingies. Perhaps ot's just down to luck on the day :o:
    my head of sixth form has a couple of past papers :ninja: even though he was supposed to destroy them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuch)

I don't really know of anyway to practice for the TSA. Everyone applying should have a decent essay technique, and it's pretty hard to practice those cheeky problem-solving-logic-y thingies. Perhaps ot's just down to luck on the day
    We should have a sad nod really!

Maybe use critical thinking sources? I had an econ extension lesson today and my teacher found some critical thinking quiz on the internet which had TSA-style questions on it...

(Original post by trollman)
    my head of sixth form has a couple of past papers even though he was supposed to destroy them
    Sounds good if you can get your hands on them!
    When you do ( ) can you post the essay questions please??

ReputationRep:
    We should have a sad nod really!

Maybe use critical thinking sources? I had an econ extension lesson today and my teacher found some critical thinking quiz on the internet which had TSA-style questions on it...

Sounds good if you can get your hands on them!
    When you do ( ) can you post the essay questions please??
    I'm not sure if these questions are too similar, but if you look at http://www.politicalcompass.org/test , some of those questions it asks might be worth writing an essay about. I'm not sure. I've only seen the 3 sample essays on the sample test.

I don't really see the point of practising the essays though? Surely if you have a decent enough technique (intro, opposing sides, conclusion), there's not much you can really practise from doing sample questions? I hope I'm wrong though, as it'd be nice to prepare for this test in some way

ReputationRep:
    I wish it was the same as the Cam TSA. I love the multiple choice part but I really dislike the essay section.

ReputationRep:

There is a smiley for a sad nod. It's :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if these questions are too similar, but if you look at http://www.politicalcompass.org/test , some of those questions it asks might be worth writing an essay about. I'm not sure. I've only seen the 3 sample essays on the sample test.

I don't really see the point of practising the essays though? Surely if you have a decent enough technique (intro, opposing sides, conclusion), there's not much you can really practise from doing sample questions? I hope I'm wrong though, as it'd be nice to prepare for this test in some way
    I've seen the political compass before but looking at it again the questions really do seem like potential TSA essay style questions - thanks Kneechuh! :yep:

(Original post by Clements-)
    There is a smiley for a sad nod. It's :sadnod:
    I thought I'd seen one before!!

ReputationRep:
    I've seen the political compass before but looking at it again the questions really do seem like potential TSA essay style questions - thanks Kneechuh! :yep:

I thought I'd seen one before!!
    I too am glad that our TSR overlords cater to our smiley needs.

I'm still trying to look for TSA-esque questions. The essay isn't such a problem, as you really can't predict what'll come up, and I think the best way for the essay is just to improve your general essay technique.

However, it'd be nice if we could find a load of practise questions for those logic type questions, or the argument analysing. I remember skimming over A level Critical Thinking papers, but they wern't much good.. :no:

ReputationRep:
    I too am glad that our TSR overlords cater to our smiley needs.

I'm still trying to look for TSA-esque questions. The essay isn't such a problem, as you really can't predict what'll come up, and I think the best way for the essay is just to improve your general essay technique.

However, it'd be nice if we could find a load of practise questions for those logic type questions, or the argument analysing. I remember skimming over A level Critical Thinking papers, but they wern't much good.. :no:
    Hmm...well, we'll have to see what we can do...I didn't think the crit thinking questions were all that bad. Some questions are exactly the same...

...I'll probs go on the 2008 thread and see how people mainly prepared then!

Also - we can ask pinkpenguin...?

ReputationRep:
    I'll be doing the TSA for EP. Very nervous about the essay component. :eek3:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.