Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I have this paper on my computer, but I don't have a mark scheme. I doubt that many of you will have it so you will find it useful anyway, but also I would like to compare answers seeing as I don't have a mark scheme.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc TSA Oxford Nov 2007.doc (203.5 KB, 253 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merk that Sike of a Mike)
    Hey guys I have this paper on my computer, but I don't have a mark scheme. I doubt that many of you will have it so you will find it useful anyway, but also I would like to compare answers seeing as I don't have a mark scheme.
    I'll give this a go now and get back to you to compare answers. Where did you get this, by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagikMonkey)
    I'll give this a go now and get back to you to compare answers. Where did you get this, by the way?
    Ages ago I PMed someone on TSR who had said he had the paper and he emailed it to me after. Reading all those pages on the tsa 2008 forum pays off you know!!

ReputationRep:
    This is great - thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Graphix)
    This is great - thanks!
    No probs.
    Oh nd btw guys if you find it useful a bit of rep wouldn't go amiss
    I coulda kept this paper to myself you know :p:

ReputationRep:
    No probs.
    You're getting some tomorrow. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Sort of busy, I've only done the first 25 but I'll post my answers anyway and edit this when I do the rest. Hopefully we can agree on most of them! There's an asterisk beside the answers I'm unsure of:

Spoiler:
    Show

1: B *
    2: B
    3: C *
    4: C
    5: C
    6: A
    7: B
    8: D
    9: D
    10: C
    11: C
    12: D
    13: A *
    14: D
    15: B
    16: E
    17: Dog = 12; Horse = 9; Cat = 7; Pig = 5;
    18: C
    19: A
    20: B
    21: I can't read this question, the formatting is messed up
    22: A
    23: B
    24: Oldest = A (Carlos); Youngest = C (Maccio)
    25: B

Let me know if you got different answers: I raced through these so there's a good chance I made a mess of some! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    You're a scholar and a gentleman.

I'll do this test in a bit and put the answers I got up.

Where did you get it from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alishariati)
    Some one was asking to look at an essay...
    I wrote about
    "Should parking fines be based on the drivers income"
    typed it up as i have to remember how to write with my hands again
    Slighlty shocked - writing an essay in 30 minutes is much more difficult than i thought it would be
    so:
    The reason we tax those with a higher income more is to ensure that the burdens that a tax has on each individual is as equal as possible across the whole distribution of different incomes. By placing an equal burden on each individual we recognize that each individual in society is equally responsible to society regardless of their relative incomes. It follows from this premise that we should treat each member of society as moral equals that when two people of different incomes commit the same crime they are equally responsible. Because they are equally responsible they should receive the same punishment. However the same nominal fine has a larger burden on the poorer person that the richer person. In order to ensure that each person who commits a crime receives the same punishment we must adopt a system where the burden of a punishment for a set crime is the same (just as we do in our tax system). To do this would involve fining rich people a greater sum of money relative to the amount that the rich man is fined.

I have shown that the same crime should receive different nominal punishments. The second thing to consider is whether the ‘same act’ is synonymous with the ‘same crime’. The answer to this question depends on why people do not pay for a ticket. If the answer to that question is because the ticket costs money which people are not willing to pay then parking your car illegally if you are rich is worse than parking your illegally if you are poor. When you are deciding whether to park illegally or legally the decision would be between whether to be a responsible citizen or whether to save £1:50. Because the value of saving £1:50 to a poor person is greater than the value of saving £1:50 to a rich person, a rich person is more likely to pay for the ticket. By fining poor and rich people equal amounts we are not recognizing the fact that for a rich person to park illegally is a greater crime. This is because the decision to be good for a rich person is that much easier than for a poor person and therefore when a poor person parks legally it is more praise worthy. Conversely when a rich person parks illegally it is more worthy of punishment than when a poor person parks illegally. We should therefore fine rich people more than poor people not to the extent of an equal burden but to a greater burden. It is this analysis of the relative difficulties of certain acts leading to different punishments that accounts for wives who kill abusive husbands not being charged for murder.
    I think it sounds quite good. And let's face it. What is discussed in this question is whether it would be good/fair to scale fines according to income and as far as I can see this has been done here. The question concerning the actual implementation of such a law or regulation I believe falls out of the question somewhat. It says "Should parking fines be based on the drivers income" not "...and would this be realistic?"
    What I'm interested in is what you all think about the actual structure of the essays. Here alishariati took up only the pro side of the argument. Nevertheless in my opinion it sounds quite good and I doubt whether I would be able to manufacture such concise arguments for both the pro and the con side in only 30 minutes. Do you tend to choose one side (probably still considering and refuting arguments that might be raised against your case) or do you try to reflect on both the pros and the cons in your essays?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    You're a scholar and a gentleman.
    :rolleyes:

(Original post by Kneechuh)
    I'll do this test in a bit and put the answers I got up.

Where did you get it from?
    Someone on TSR who emailed it to me ages ago after PMed them about it. They had posted a question from it that they didn't understand and i PMed him asking him where he got the question from That was one of the results I got from trawling through pages and pages of tsa 2008 and the complete ppe guide!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BE2506)
    Hey, I did. I thought it was quite good really. I feel a bit more confident with the essay section now. What did you think?
    What did he say about the essay? Any info would be great.

ReputationRep:
    My answers for the November 2007 one are:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1) B
    2) B
    3) A
    4) C
    5) C
    6) A
    7) B
    8) D
    9) E? We don't know what %age of the economically active population are women?
    10) C
    11) C
    12) D
    13) A *
    14) D *
    15) B
    16) E
    17) Pig = 5, Cat = 7, Horse = 9, Dog = 12
    18) C
    19) A
    20) B
    21)
    22) A
    23) B
    24) A & C
    25) D
    26) E * process of elimination
    27) E
    28) A
    29) B
    30) E
    31) D
    32) C *
    33) C
    34) A
    35) A *
    36) C
    37) B
    38) E
    39) A
    40) A
    41) B
    42) A
    43) B
    44) C
    45) C
    46) Don't understand. Surely it's just (£24000 x 2) - £25000?
    47) D
    48) D
    49) D
    50) B

Please don't take this as a 'mark scheme' or anything of the sort. They're simply my answers, and a lot of the reasoning ones are probably incorrect, with a lot of the problem solving ones containing silly mistakes. If you have anything different, you're probably right :yep:

ReputationRep:
    No probs.
    I gave you some already...

I'm sure more will be on its way...

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to attempt to do the following essay question :

When, if ever, is forgiveness wrong ?

But I am having no luck what so ever! Any tips and ideas of what I can include?

Thanks

alright mate i seem to be having problems when i open the file, the tables go all weird, does that happen to everyone? also a graph doesnt come out?n and there are only 2 questiions with pie charts right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j1991)
    I've been trying to attempt to do the following essay question :

When, if ever, is forgiveness wrong ?

But I am having no luck what so ever! Any tips and ideas of what I can include?

Thanks
    You're an E&M student. That's a philosophy question :p:

But I'd do what most others would do - question the definition of 'wrong'. If you established a dichotomy between wrong and right, and said that right is the utilitarian creed of producing the greatest happiness for the greatest number, you could therefore argue that forgiveness is wrong when it doesn't produce the greatest happiness for the greatest number. You could also say it's wrong if you don't mean it..

But you're right, it's a tricky question, and I can only think of two lines of argument off of the top of my head. I think for the real thing I'll go with the politics-y type question, as you could probably link in philosophy and economics :yep:

(Original post by trollman)
    alright mate i seem to be having problems when i open the file, the tables go all weird, does that happen to everyone? also a graph doesnt come out?n and there are only 2 questiions with pie charts right?
    Yeah, I, and I assume everyone else, has that problem too. The original paper was probably scanned in by a scanner, and then a computer recognised all the characters and converted it from pictures into a .doc. Obviously, that process isn't perfect

ReputationRep:
    my results for the first 29 in 45 minutes
    Spoiler:
    Show

got mostly the same
    1) B
    2) B
    3) A
    4) C
    5) C E - you are right. thought is it like the one in the specimen and didnt really read the whole text
    6) A
    7) B
    8) D haven't done yet
    9) E? C dunno!
    10) C haven't done yet
    11) C
    12) D
    13) A *
    14) D *
    15) B
    16) E
    18) C haven't done yet
    19) A
    20) B
    21) ...
    22) A
    23) B
    24) A & C
    25) D C was really unsure. ur expl.?
    27) E
    28) A B i was wondering if it is A or B... still dunno
    29) B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09911041)
    my results for the first 29 in 45 minutes
    Spoiler:
    Show

got mostly the same
    1) B
    2) B
    3) A
    4) C
    5) C E - you are right. thought is it like the one in the specimen and didnt really read the whole text
    6) A
    7) B
    8) D haven't done yet
    9) E? C dunno!
    10) C haven't done yet
    11) C
    12) D
    13) A *
    14) D *
    15) B
    16) E
    18) C haven't done yet
    19) A
    20) B
    21) ...
    22) A
    23) B
    24) A & C
    25) D C was really unsure. ur expl.?
    27) E
    28) A B i was wondering if it is A or B... still dunno
    29) B
    5 is C. If you pull 7 lipsticks out, you're definitely going to have either a pink or red lipstick. Therefore, when pulling out the varnish, whether it's red or pink doesn't matter, as it'll definitely be a match with one of them.

9: can you explain how you got your answer for this? I'm more than likely wrong (as I have no reasoning for my answer apart from we don't know the exact demographics).

25: I was wondering whether it was B or D. I chose D because I thought the main conclusion of the argument was that government intervention was necessary to aid exercise plans in schools, Tesco's coupon scheme shows this isn't necessary.
    Actually, having re-read the question, I've just said something that weakens the argument, not a flaw. In that case, I'd probably go with B :dontknow:

28: Yeah, it was between A or B for me as well. I went for B because the passage is arguing for banning cars completely to combat global warming. B fits nicely with this

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Kneechuh]You're an E&M student. That's a philosophy question :p:

QUOTE]

What?!? Am I missing something? I've been atempting all the questions on the specimen and November 2008 paper. I thought all students get the same questions? How does it work ? Do they have specific questions for E&M applicants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j1991)
    What?!? Am I missing something? I've been atempting all the questions on the specimen and November 2008 paper. I thought all students get the same questions? How does it work ? Do they have specific questions for E&M applicants?
    No, but the three questions on the essay parts definitely have either a philosophical, a political or an economical theme..

Edit: E.g. for the specimen paper, question 3 is the 'economics' one, and in the 2008 paper, question 2 is the 'economics' one. Of course, you can answer any question you want, but I figured it'd make most sense to answer the one you should be best at

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.