Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok. Prospective PPE applicant here.
    Just done the Nov 2007 TSA Paper and these are the answers I got (however they are by no means correct and I have probs made some stupid mistakes):

Spoiler:
    Show

1)D
    2)B
    3)A
    4)C
    5)C
    6)A
    7)B
    8)D
    9)D
    10)C
    11)A
    12)A
    13)A
    14)D
    15)A
    16)C
    17)P=5 D=12 C=7 H=9
    18)C
    19)D
    20)B
    21)- No Graph
    22)A
    23)B
    24)Carlos=Oldest Maccio=Youngest
    25)B
    26)D
    27)C
    28)D
    29)D
    30)B
    31)A
    32)D
    33)C
    34)A
    35)D
    36)E
    37)C
    38)E
    39)B
    40)C
    41)B
    42)A
    43)D
    44)C
    45)C
    46)B (If you discount the initial investment)
    47)D
    48)D
    49)D
    50)B

It will be interesting to see how my answers compare to everyone elses.

Question 9 seems to have been particularly contentious.
    My reasoning was that the unemployed female pop. must be less than half given that if the entire pop. were female, no more than 20% of total pop could be unemployed. I may have misinterpreted it but it seems to make sense...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    No, but the three questions on the essay parts definitely have either a philosophical, a political or an economical theme..

Edit: E.g. for the specimen paper, question 3 is the 'economics' one, and in the 2008 paper, question 2 is the 'economics' one. Of course, you can answer any question you want, but I figured it'd make most sense to answer the one you should be best at

Thanks for clearing that up dude

ReputationRep:
    I know it's been asked a lot already but it hasn't been answered yet and I was wondering if anyone could help. Does the essay section need to argue both sides or is it a one sided argument?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChelseyElla)
    I know it's been asked a lot already but it hasn't been answered yet and I was wondering if anyone could help. Does the essay section need to argue both sides or is it a one sided argument?
    I think it's extremely hard to tell exactly how the essay should be ideally structured, especially given that they are not uniformly marked by the exam board - instead being sent to the college you have applied to. Reading the writing task commentary on the Cambridge Assessment website I think the essay needs to be a compromise between the two. Whilst you have to clearly state your point of view, making a coherant argument which directly answers the question, you do have to explicitly consider any counter-arguments, assessing their relative merits. However, given the limited time you have to write the essay I don't think its possible to cover all arguments comprehensively. I think the conclusion is going to be crucial to success.

Tbh I'm more worried about the admissions tutor not being able to read my scrawly handwriting than writing a completely flawless essay!

ReputationRep:
    I think you're probably right. It's just the question what we do with questions such as "As a leader is it better to be feared or loved?" I'm not sure whether here you can get around considering the advantages that both offer. What do you think? I'll give this question a try tomorrow. Maybe if one approaches the question from the rather distanced standpoint of judging "fear" and "love" respectively as a negative and a positive emotion which in turn affect the group which is being lead in a negative/positive way you can handle the question in a compact fashion...

ReputationRep:
    heeey everyone!!
    does anyone know solutions to any of the following questions-
    Steven has a customised motorcycle that he is very proud of and shows regularly in
    competitions. It is very important to him that his presentation is perfect and he likes to
    stop in front of the judges with both his tyre valves in the same position. The front tyre is
    smaller than the rear to aid its handling. The circumference of the front wheel is 2m and
    the circumference of the rear wheel is 2.5m.
    Steven starts with both valves in the same position at the bottom of each wheel.
    How far must he drive before the valves line up again at the bottom of each
    wheel?
    A 2.0 m
    B 2.5 m
    C 4.5 m
    D 10.0 m
    E 12.5 m

Inflation in Bolandia has been a steady 10% per year for many years. Evitan, a Bolandian
    citizen, bought his car one year ago for 500 Bols. He now wants to trade in his car for an
    identical model. He can expect to receive 80% of the current new value of his existing
    car. The price of new models has increased in line with inflation.
    How many extra Bols will he have to pay for his new car?
    A 50
    B 55
    C 60
    D 100
    E 110

A long-running play in London's West End is performed every evening except Sunday. In
    addition, there are matinee performances every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday.
    What is the maximum number of performances that can be given during a calendar month
    of 31 days?
    A 36
    B 38
    C 39
    D 41
    E 42

32 A netball tournament is divided into two stages. In the first stage, the teams are divided
    into equal groups within which each team plays every other team once. In the second
    stage, the winners of each group take part in a knockout competition which starts with
    four quarter finals.
    Which of the following could be the number of teams starting the tournament?
    A 8
    B 20
    C 44
    D 50
    E 72

Peter needs to separate his sheep into 16 square pens. Each side of a pen is formed by
    a free-standing barrier known as a hurdle. Each pen must be individually accessible on at
    least one side so that sheep can be penned or released without a risk of the others
    escaping.
    What is the smallest number of hurdles that Peter must take out to the fields in order to
    accomplish his task?
    A 40
    B 42
    C 48
    D 49
    E 64

A piece of ribbon 8m long is folded in half so the two ends are on top of each other. This
    doubled 4m length is then folded in half again. The folded, 2m length of ribbon is then cut
    right through at its midway point.
    How many cut pieces are there and what are their lengths?
    A 8 pieces of ribbon each 1m long.
    B 6 pieces of ribbon, 2 of 2m long and 4 of 1m long.
    C 5 pieces of ribbon, 3 of 2m long and 2 of 1m long.
    D 4 pieces of ribbon each 2m long.
    E 3 pieces of ribbon one 4m long and 2 of 2m long.

ReputationRep:
    p.s-its the 2008 paper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy123123)
    heeey everyone!!
    does anyone know solutions to any of the following questions-
    Steven has a customised motorcycle that he is very proud of and shows regularly in
    competitions. It is very important to him that his presentation is perfect and he likes to
    stop in front of the judges with both his tyre valves in the same position. The front tyre is
    smaller than the rear to aid its handling. The circumference of the front wheel is 2m and
    the circumference of the rear wheel is 2.5m.
    Steven starts with both valves in the same position at the bottom of each wheel.
    How far must he drive before the valves line up again at the bottom of each
    wheel?
    A 2.0 m
    B 2.5 m
    C 4.5 m
    D 10.0 m
    E 12.5 m
    D.. Lowest common multiple?

ReputationRep:
    thank you! have you solved any others?

ReputationRep:
    Inflation in Bolandia has been a steady 10% per year for many years. Evitan, a Bolandian
    citizen, bought his car one year ago for 500 Bols. He now wants to trade in his car for an
    identical model. He can expect to receive 80% of the current new value of his existing
    car. The price of new models has increased in line with inflation.
    How many extra Bols will he have to pay for his new car?
    A 50
    B 55
    C 60
    D 100
    E 110

It's E because the value of his current car has increased by 10%, so it's worth 110% of 500, which is 550 bols. 80% of 550 is 440 which is what he gets off a new car. The price of a new model is 550 bols, minus the 440 = 110.

ReputationRep:
    Peter needs to separate his sheep into 16 square pens. Each side of a pen is formed by a free-standing barrier known as a hurdle. Each pen must be individually accessible on at least one side so that sheep can be penned or released without a risk of the others escaping. What is the smallest number of hurdles that Peter must take out to the fields in order to accomplish his task?
    A 40
    B 42
    C 48
    D 49
    E 64

You need to make sure each pen is used as many times as possible to minimise the amount he needs to use altogether. In the arrangement below, each door can be opened to the right so the other sheep can't escape. & together you only use 42.. i'm sure there's a better way to do that one though
    __ _
    |_|_|
    |_|_|
    |_|_|
    |_|_|
    |_|_|
    |_|_|
    |_|_|
    |_|_|

ReputationRep:
    A piece of ribbon 8m long is folded in half so the two ends are on top of each other. This
    doubled 4m length is then folded in half again. The folded, 2m length of ribbon is then cut
    right through at its midway point.
    How many cut pieces are there and what are their lengths?
    A 8 pieces of ribbon each 1m long.
    B 6 pieces of ribbon, 2 of 2m long and 4 of 1m long.
    C 5 pieces of ribbon, 3 of 2m long and 2 of 1m long.
    D 4 pieces of ribbon each 2m long.
    E 3 pieces of ribbon one 4m long and 2 of 2m long.

Imagine folding the ribbon. Fold it once and you get a double layed peice of 4m length, fold it again and it's 8 layers of 2m. If you imagine the way it folds up and then cut it you get C.

ReputationRep:
    32 A netball tournament is divided into two stages. In the first stage, the teams are divided
    into equal groups within which each team plays every other team once. In the second
    stage, the winners of each group take part in a knockout competition which starts with
    four quarter finals.
    Which of the following could be the number of teams starting the tournament?
    A 8
    B 20
    C 44
    D 50
    E 72

Imagine how the second round is set out.. there are 2 teams playing each other, and this happening 4 times. Hence there must be 8 teams in round two. This means the no of teams in round one must be a multiple of 8 (because all the groups had equal size) and 72 is the only multiple in the answers.

ReputationRep:
    A long-running play in London's West End is performed every evening except Sunday. In
    addition, there are matinee performances every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday.
    What is the maximum number of performances that can be given during a calendar month
    of 31 days?
    A 36
    B 38
    C 39
    D 41
    E 42

Assume the month starts on Wednesday.. in the 7 days there will be 6 + 3 performances = 9, same in the next 3 weeks which equals 36 altogether. That means there are 3 more days in the month, which are Thursday, Friday and Saturday, which equals another 5 performances. Total = 41. If the month started on a Tuesday the total would be the same, but on any other day you wouldn't get the matinee performances.

ReputationRep:
    Eee, they were the first TSA question I've tried. I like problems like that though, they're fun. I just hope they're right :p:

ReputationRep:
    I am going to do the nov 07 today and post my answers tonight

Thanks everyone for the paper and your answers!

ReputationRep:
    Adam- Can i borrow your brain next Wednesday?!!!
    Also...(to the guy who posted the 2007 paper) Isit possible to get the actual mark scheme? could you p.m the person who gave it to you? ~(and has anyone been able to get hold of the 2006 paper?)

I've noticed there's alot of PPE/E&M students on here... are there any EP's??

ReputationRep:
    There is one type of problem solving question I'm having real difficulties understanding the reasoning behind it. The following example of this type of q. is taken from the specimen paper:

My mother still makes tea with the old saying:
    "one spoon per person and one for the pot"

We used to buy a packet of tea every week but since grandmother came to live with us we have to buy two packets every fifth week and one otherwise.

How many people were at home before grandmother arrived?
    A 4
    B 5
    C 6
    D 9
    E 11

I guessed A and it turned out that that is the correct answer. However I wondered whether anyone could describe how they worked it out through reasoning?
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consti.Rules)
    There is one type of problem solving question I'm having real difficulties understanding the reasoning behind it. The following example of this type of q. is taken from the specimen paper:

My mother still makes tea with the old saying:
    "one spoon per person and one for the pot"

We used to buy a packet of tea every week but since grandmother came to live with us we have to buy two packets every fifth week and one otherwise.

How many people were at home before grandmother arrived?
    A 4
    B 5
    C 6
    D 9
    E 11

I guessed A and it turned out that that is the correct answer. However I wondered whether anyone could describe how they worked it out through reasoning?
    Thanks in advance
    Yeah - you just have to use algebra:

Before the grandmother arrives, x + 1 teaspoons were used to make tea; x being the number of people in the house. After the grandmother arrives, it's x + 2 teaspoons.

As they have to buy a new packet every fifth week, what they used to used in 6 weeks, is now being used in five weeks:

6(x + 1) = 5 (x + 2)
    6x + 6 = 5x + 10.

When you rearrange this, you get x = 4!

Hope that's clear!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Graphix)
    Yeah - you just have to use algebra:

Before the grandmother arrives, x + 1 teaspoons were used to make tea; x being the number of people in the house. After the grandmother arrives, it's x + 2 teaspoons.

As they have to buy a new packet every fifth week, what they used to used in 6 weeks, is now being used in five weeks:

6(x + 1) = 5 (x + 2)
    6x + 6 = 5x + 10.

When you rearrange this, you get x = 4!

Hope that's clear!
    Thank you thank you thank you!!!
    I can't believe something so simple was giving me so many problems. That could mean getting one extra mark come wednesday.
    Invaluable!

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.