Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    the CIE 2009 specimen paper 1 is worth looking at if you havent already for anyone uneasy about the multiple choice - the mark scheme actually explains how they to get to the right answer..here is the link: http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications...def_id=765_804

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=*shooting*star*]can anyone help me with this question (question 5 from the CIE May/June 2008 paper):

what CIE may/june 2008 paper??

ReputationRep:
    Merk that Sike of a Mike- thank you lovie! Do you know how to work out the silage question?? Once I see the algebra/workings for a question I understand it, but I just don't ever think about that method when trying to answer it!!

ReputationRep:
    p.s- you hertford applicants....did you guys by any chance make an open application :P also...has anyone received emails from two colleges?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *shooting*star*)
    are you a hertford E&M applicant too?! i guess so then :p: lol
    Yup. E&M :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy123123)
    p.s- you hertford applicants....did you guys by any chance make an open application :P also...has anyone received emails from two colleges?
    I applied direct to Hertford and yes, I have received emails detailing general information about the application process for E&M incl. provisional interview dates and another just acknowledging my application.

ReputationRep:
    Coolio! Has anyone got the mark scheme for the CIE Nov 2006 papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *shooting*star*)
    can anyone help me with this question (question 5 from the CIE May/June 2008 paper):

"In a certain family, the father gives out pocket money to his children in the following way. Every month he chooses a number between 1 and 100, and then shares that amount of money equally between the seven children, giving then whole-number sums of money, and giving anything left over to charity.

For instance, if he chose the number 30, he would give $4 to each child ($4 x 7 = $28) and $2 to charity.

If the father realises after 100 months that every number between 1 and 100 (inclusive) has been used once, how much has he given to charity?

A $276
    B $294
    C $295
    D $297
    E $300"

the correct answer is D but i am not sure how they get that! thanks
    Are u sure it's D? I get A:

alright it goes like this:
    100-98 (he gets 2+1+0), 97-91 (he gets 6+5+4+3+2+1+0), 91-84 (gets 6+5+4+3+2+1+0) and so on u get the idea.

If u take the lower boundaries that makes a total of 13 (91, 84, ..., 7).

Each time u get 6+5+4+3+2+1+0=21, so 13*21= 273.
    Then u add 3 (for no. 100-98) so u get 276.

edit:

alright just realized my mistake. 0 is the last lower boundary so it's another 21 which makes 297

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buffyboy)
    Btw take all of my opinions with a pinch of salt, I don't really know what iI'm doing! But its helpful for me too, to assess your essay, so heregoes;

Spoiler:
    Show

"Freedom of speech doesn't mean that you can say anything you want"

The freedom of speech is a key part of any modern constitution. To be precise it is generally defined (I laughed geekily at this!! Cannot generally precisily define.) as the freedom of opinion rather than just the freedom to engage in the act of speaking which does not necessarily mean that opinions are stated. (I'd say this was good as you open with define the terms of the question. Personally I might briefly outline my line or argument - but perhaps not due to time constraints, I will however definatly have trigger sentences at the start of each paragraph to show what I am arguing - just makes things seem clearer)

This freedom is based on the concept that to begin with every opinion is as valid as any other and should initially always be allowed to be expressed. It is a fact that opinions on different issues often vary greatly. I would perhaps argue a bit more for the merits of free speech before showing cases it is limited, be careful to show that you haven't assumed free speech is desirable, and if you have assumed it, say you have assumed it. Whilst most differences in opinion on factual matters can usually be resolved by discussion there are certain cases in which there is a call for an opinion to be forbidden. When this claim is made the other parts of a constitution upon which the freedom of speech rests can be consulted.
    As the freedom of speech is initially considered as an absolute, as described above, all other basic rights defined in the constitution must be as well. If a person using his freedom of speech to hurt another person's basic rights as defined in the constitution then the offender may be sanctioned on the basis of acting against what is defined as an absolute in the constitution. I like this, I'd say "rights" rather than "absolute rights", yes a lot of constitutions seem to embrace deontological rights but I'd still stick with "rights". Perhaps define which rights rank above freedom of speech, your essay is perhaps too vauge on this... Personally I'd take a Millian route, that freedom of speech is justified always unless it causes harm to others. Then I'd argue what circumstances constitute harm (Is offence harm? If I indirectly cause harm is that a problem?)

Cases such as the Mohammad caricatures which provoked a large part of the muslim world in 2007 illustrate how this definition can and should be applied. Really good example, I probably couldn't think of such a relevant one. The author of the caricatures claimed to be exercising his freedom of speech. One might suspect that he was hurting muslim believers' right to exercise their religion but upon closer consideration one must conclude that he was not trying to inhibit anyone's religious beliefs but was expressing his opinion on a certain matter. This is because there is a difference between trying to take direct influence on a matter and expressing one's opinion. This sentence is clumbsy, its not agaisnt freedom of speech (or your definition of it!) to take direct influnce on a matter, I may directly influnce you to do your homework but the state wouldn't declare my actions illegal. Would be better if it more clearly explained how freedom of speech isn't a violation of religious rights...

Freedom of speech consequently does not mean the right to say anything one wants. It can be marked by the condition that it may not be abused to infringe another fundamental right accepted in our society. Good clear conclusion/defintion (Again I'd have just prefered a more clear discussion of which fundamental rights are infringed, and which are unacceptable to infringe (unacceptable to infringe someones right to health, however perhaps acceptable to infringe someones right to practice religion unchallenged if rights to freedom of speech clash with it... (if that makes sense...)

This can be extended to define a way of dealing with laws that suppress free speech. From the standpoint that the fundamental rights in the constitution of the western world are correct, laws that go against such a right can not legitimately suppress it. Laws suppressing the freedom of speech such as exist many countries such as China are hence illigitimate.

I think it was a good essay. Very eloquent, which is something i never manage in timed conditions, had examples and definitions - *tick, tick*. Perhaps could be slightly more clear... Plan it a little better maybe...

But yeah seems good to me! Anyone else please criticise what I've said.

My essay plan for this would be;

Defintion of "freedom of speech"

Maybe a brief statement of why freedom of speech is important... (However I'm really unsure on this, someone please give opinions, Its not explicitly asked for in question - so probably not in fact...)

"Freedom of speech very important, as Mill argued for individuality, to challenge existing views, if the incorrect view is tolerated it forces the defendants of the correct view to evaluate their own positions, furthermore humanity is not infallible and cannot assume the truth of its arguments. (Example). However in some cases freedom of speech may other rights, most pertinetly in the case of harm. "

Assess harm principle. Show cases it is relevant etc...

Conclude.

My plans pretty much what you did anyway (only probably worse!)... One thing I would say is just focus on paragraph clarity and header sentences.

Hi Thanks very much for your feedback. Very helpful!

Your right: trying to be precise on something generally being defined as X doesn't really fit. Writing "is widely" defined would probably have been better.
    Right indeed on requesting a more precise description of why freedom of speech is actually so important...but here's the time dilemma again :eek3:
    Nevertheless I would surely have had enough time to add an example of a right that might be infringed by someone expressing his opinion e.g. by questioning someone's human dignity.

Anyway thanks for the good ideas. Think it's quite helpful discussing these issues here and also reading what the criticism other people's work recieves.

Cheers

EDIT: I must find how to hide something here...Using more than a page here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stashup)
    Hi Thanks very much for your feedback. Very helpful!

Your right: trying to be precise on something generally being defined as X doesn't really fit. Writing "is widely" defined would probably have been better.
    Right indeed on requesting a more precise description of why freedom of speech is actually so important...but here's the time dilemma again :eek3:
    Nevertheless I would surely have had enough time to add an example of a right that might be infringed by someone expressing his opinion e.g. by questioning someone's human dignity.

Anyway thanks for the good ideas. Think it's quite helpful discussing these issues here and also reading what the criticism other people's work recieves.

Cheers

EDIT: I must find how to hide something here...Using more than a page here
    lol put write SPOILER with square brackets around it [ ] and then /SPOILER at the end with squared brackets around it.
    Quote this post if to see
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=matija_v]5 more days!! just want to get over it..
    ok, first here are my answers to the 2007 paper
    Spoiler:
    Show

1 B
    2 B
    3 A
    4 C
    5 C
    6 A
    7 B
    8 D
    9 D
    10 C
    11 C
    12 D
    13 A
    14 D
    15 B
    16 E
    17 Pig=5 Dog=12 Cat=7 Horse=9
    18 C
    19 A
    20 B
    22 A
    23 B
    24 A oldest, c youngest
    25 B
    26 E
    27 E
    28 A
    29 B
    30 B
    31 D
    32 C
    33 C
    34 A
    35 A
    36 C
    37 B
    38 E
    39 A
    40 C
    41 B
    42 A
    43 D
    44 C
    45 C
    46 E
    47 D
    48 D
    49 D
    50 B

My answers are broadly similar. My differing answers are the following:
    Spoiler:
    Show

3.c
    9.b
    19.a
    25.e
    26.c
    27.d
    29.d
    30.e
    31.c
    35.d
    36.b
    41.a
    50.a

Where we differ you are likely the one in the right as my answers arn't close to any of the other suggestions posted. That said I'm averaging 84% on the other papers including some daft mistakes which I hopefully won't make in the real thing. I thought this was good until I saw the many "90% in an hour" claims on here :getmecoat:

The 2007 paper was posted on here somewhere in the last 15 pages, in word document form, for free. Although some c**t posting as "Mr.Diamonds" also tried to sell it me and probably others for £50 last month using this very thread.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, here's my essay- everyone please be nice (im hopeless at writing essays ) , and tell me how to improve it etc. I did use the phrase, 'to use fear as a tool'- i couldn't find another way to describe it!

To be a successful leader is it better to be loved or feared?
    The qualities required for a successful leader varies, depending upon the situation. For example the characteristic's for a successful political leader would inevitably be different to that of a teacher. The emotions love and fear are extreme, and alone cannot encourage or catalyse tasks to be completed, as impediments will occur.

It is not appropriate or ethical for leaders to be feared, and I would question why leaders require to use fear as tool to create a successful leadership. Leaders are usually feared in totalitarian regimes, where a population have to conform and even obey inhumane orders. As a result, an individuals human rights are subconsciously impaired. A historical example of this is Hilter's autocracy, many Germans and Jews were denied freedom of speech and were both unable to stop the Nazi regime. If a leader is feared, the attentions and outcomes are not democratic. Therefore this should be avoided as all leaders ought be virtuous.

A leader should be loved, but to a certain extent. In a political regime a leader should be admired for helping society and improving quality of life for everyone. For example, providing the underclass with housing and assuring every child is entitled to a free education. However, if a leader is 'too loved', some may exploit this and it would be difficult to complete tasks by deadlines due to a lack of discipline as situations would become 'informal'. In addition, a small minority may rebel against the leader and their party resulting in anomie. Reicher and Haslam's BBC Prison Experiment illustrated this; when both the prisoners and guards were regarded as equal and received the same luxuries a tyrannical regime developed, as a minority felt the current system was not working, and were trying to accomplish an 'order'. If a leader is too loved, and everyone is treated equally some may require a stricter regime and rebel. Hence why a leader needs a combination of both love and discipline for a safe and successful regime.

In conclusion, a leader requires many qualities. In the example of a teacher, they should be loved, as this would create a comfortable learning environment and respected, as this will enable them to receive homework by the deadlines set. The most common and important qualities for successful leaders are empathy, obedience and respect. A leader's attentions should be made clear, so everyone can understand why they want a certain task to be completed or why co-co-operation is required. Hence why it is not necessary for a leader to be either loved or feared.

Mucho gracias in advance to anyone who comments on this. x

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Salparadise]
    (Original post by matija_v)
    5 more days!! just want to get over it..
    Spoiler:
    Show

1 B
    2 B
    3 A
    4 C
    5 C
    6 A
    7 B
    8 D
    9 D
    10 C
    11 C
    12 D
    13 A
    14 D
    15 B
    16 E
    18 C
    19 A
    20 B
    22 A
    23 B
    24 A oldest, c youngest
    25 B
    26 E
    27 E
    28 A
    29 B
    30 B
    31 D
    32 C
    33 C
    34 A
    35 A
    36 C
    37 B
    38 E
    39 A
    40 C
    41 B
    42 A
    43 D
    44 C
    45 C
    46 E
    47 D
    48 D
    49 D
    50 B

My answers are broadly similar. My differing answers are the following:
    Spoiler:
    Show

3.c
    9.b
    19.a
    25.e
    26.c
    27.d
    29.d
    30.e
    31.c
    35.d
    36.b
    41.a
    50.a

Where we differ you are likely the one in the right as my answers arn't close to any of the other suggestions posted. That said I'm averaging 84% on the other papers including some daft mistakes which I hopefully won't make in the real thing. I thought this was good until I saw the many "90% in an hour" claims on here :getmecoat:

The 2007 paper was posted on here somewhere in the last 15 pages, in word document form, for free. Although some c**t posting as "Mr.Diamonds" also tried to sell it me and probably others for £50 last month using this very thread.
    Yeah i was considering buying the mark scheme from him as well =/
    i hate it how people try and make money off the system and off people who don't know any better.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd join in with the essay posting. First one I have done so far in 30mins and reading it back does not fill me with confidence lol. Any comments on how to improve are very welcome!!

Is ethical consumerism a solution to poverty or a dangerous distraction?

Over recent years we have seen a growing shift towards the relatively new phenomenon of fair-trade and ethical consumerism. The market is now flooded with such products and consumers are responding favourably.

Claiming ethical consumerism is a solution to poverty is a bold claim to make, but I argue it is definitely beneficial to the cause. Products such as fair-trade items increase the awareness of the public to some of the problems we face on a global scale. This increased awareness on a national scale can lead to pressure on government and consequently more foreign aid. Due to our electoral system the parties are essentially bound by the demands of the majority (if their aim is to win votes). If this more informed public now view poverty as a prominent issue, government must respond in kind in order to remain in office.

Whichever side of the argument one supports, it is undeniable that the direct benefits of ethical consumerism (e.g. suppliers are paid a fair price) can only be desirable. This will never solve poverty in itself but if the principle was applied globally then perhaps the result would be different. The profit motivation behind big businesses would prevent them from ever voluntarily paying suppliers more than necessary but consumer pressure for fair-trade products has backed them into a corner. The prices paid now are a step in the right direction and this can only be of benefit to those in poverty which it directly affects.

Ethical consumerism can be criticised, although not to the extent the title suggests. It has been viewed as a marketing gimmick deployed by businesses who do the bare minimum required to achieve fair trade status. This can be a problem if people feel the only charity they need to give is to buy with ethical considerations, as the effects of this are not substantial enough to address the problem sufficiently.

Ethical consumerism is neither a solution to poverty nor a dangerous distraction. But I argue it increases the likelihood of solving poverty. The increased awareness of poverty and how this relates to trade and employment results from ethical consumerism. Whether the direct benefits of ethical consumerism (ie fair trading prices) actually works to solving poverty is questionable but a society who is more aware of the problem is in a better place to do so – ethical consumerism brings this about. After all, how can we solve something when those in control (the electorate) do not understand the extent of the problem?

ReputationRep:
    i LOVE your essay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matija_v)
    5 more days!! just want to get over it..
    Spoiler:
    Show

1 B
    2 B
    3 A
    4 C
    5 C
    6 A
    7 B
    8 D
    9 D
    10 C
    11 C
    12 D
    13 A
    14 D
    15 B
    16 E
    18 C
    19 A
    20 B
    22 A
    23 B
    24 A oldest, c youngest
    25 B
    26 E
    27 E
    28 A
    29 B
    30 B
    31 D
    32 C
    33 C
    34 A
    35 A
    36 C
    37 B
    38 E
    39 A
    40 C
    41 B
    42 A
    43 D
    44 C
    45 C
    46 E
    47 D
    48 D
    49 D
    50 B

And, because Stashup asked for it, I wrote an essay to the leader-question a while ago...
    Here
    Spoiler:
    Show

To be a successful leader is it better to be loved or feared?

The need for leadership and authority is a natural characteristic not only of animals but also of human beings. The characteristics of leaders are hard to define, but emotions like love or fear from followers are often distracting and damaging a productive relationship. I believe that a successful leader earns respect and obedience, rather than feelings like love or fear.

In the case of love, a very positive emotion, the leader is admired and cared for, thus tasks are completed out of love. For example if a teacher is loved, his or her students will do their homework and listen in class because they like the teacher. However, love can cause a lack of discipline, and furthermore if the leader imposes stricter behavior, this leads to less love and unsuccessful leadership. To balance the positive emotions amongst the group of people one is leading is a very difficult task, and it often backfires at some point.

Fear, presented as the contrary to love, implies an association with hate, another strongly negative feeling. People acting out of fear or despair results in many problematic situations, and fear was often the source of wars, violence and destructive behavior. Therefore using fear as a tool to establish successful leadership is very questionable. Nevertheless, it is certainly true that the levels of discipline and obedience are very high in societies based on fear and control, as indicated by many totalitarian regimes. However, unhappy and controlled minds should not be the goal of a leader if he is not only aiming for success. But if success is the only factor a leader wants to achieve, then fear represents a very effective but unethical option.

To sum up, a loved leader makes those who are being led satisfied but success is hard to achieve in such a friendly environment. A feared leader is able to be successful but this in an unethical way, respectively. In my opinion, a successful leader should be more concerned about respect towards him or her than to aim for feelings like love or fear. Moreover these feelings should be balanced and neutral, and extremes of emotions should better be avoided.

any feedback on that would be appreciated.
    btw, @stashup: bist du aus deutschland, weil ich hab irgendwo gelesen dass du abitur gemacht hast?! was war dein durchschnitt, 1,0?
    Hi. I think you did rather a good job here. Haven't written anything on this myself yet and was having a few problems which is why I asked for someone to post his example.
    In the first sentence I would maybe explicitly say "some animals" or use a sentece like "Much like many animals humans have an inherent tendency to organise themselves into social and group structures often lead by a single individual" ... but this is not sooooo important.

In paragraph one maybe explain how love can cause a lack of discipline.
    I think paragraph number 2 is very good and understandable! You might want to replace "unhappy" with "fearful". Although it seems quite obvious you haven't assumed that fear leads to being unhappy.
    Further I think somewhere in your essay you should distinguish between personal success and success for the group which will make it easier for you in paragraph 2.

You have given me a bit of inspiration in showing that it is probably quite smart to answer "either A or B" questions with saying: neither
    In this way you can get around having to describe both A and B in the greatest detail possible cointaining all pros and cons you can think of and then still having to compare them in your conclusion.

Now for you personally in German: Ja, wohne in der Nähe von Stuttgart. Hab 1,0 aber ich glaub hier fühlt sich jeder relativ doof^^ Meine multiple choice ergebnisse sind bis jetzt auch immer unter 70%
    Naja, mal sehen. Kannst mich gerne im ICQ adden wenn du möchtest. 230774494
    Woch machst du den TSA? Ich in Salem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spaceman657)
    I thought I'd join in with the essay posting. First one I have done so far in 30mins and reading it back does not fill me with confidence lol. Any comments on how to improve are very welcome!!

Is ethical consumerism a solution to poverty or a dangerous distraction?

Over recent years we have seen a growing shift towards the relatively new phenomenon of fair-trade and ethical consumerism. The market is now flooded with such products and consumers are responding favourably.

Claiming ethical consumerism is a solution to poverty is a bold claim to make, but I argue it is definitely beneficial to the cause. Products such as fair-trade items increase the awareness of the public to some of the problems we face on a global scale. This increased awareness on a national scale can lead to pressure on government and consequently more foreign aid. Due to our electoral system the parties are essentially bound by the demands of the majority (if their aim is to win votes). If this more informed public now view poverty as a prominent issue, government must respond in kind in order to remain in office.

Whichever side of the argument one supports, it is undeniable that the direct benefits of ethical consumerism (e.g. suppliers are paid a fair price) can only be desirable. This will never solve poverty in itself but if the principle was applied globally then perhaps the result would be different. The profit motivation behind big businesses would prevent them from ever voluntarily paying suppliers more than necessary but consumer pressure for fair-trade products has backed them into a corner. The prices paid now are a step in the right direction and this can only be of benefit to those in poverty which it directly affects.

Ethical consumerism can be criticised, although not to the extent the title suggests. It has been viewed as a marketing gimmick deployed by businesses who do the bare minimum required to achieve fair trade status. This can be a problem if people feel the only charity they need to give is to buy with ethical considerations, as the effects of this are not substantial enough to address the problem sufficiently.

Ethical consumerism is neither a solution to poverty nor a dangerous distraction. But I argue it increases the likelihood of solving poverty. The increased awareness of poverty and how this relates to trade and employment results from ethical consumerism. Whether the direct benefits of ethical consumerism (ie fair trading prices) actually works to solving poverty is questionable but a society who is more aware of the problem is in a better place to do so – ethical consumerism brings this about. After all, how can we solve something when those in control (the electorate) do not understand the extent of the problem?
    Nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy123123)
    nope, i didn't send an open application, i applied directly to hertford...and was e-mailed an acknowledgment letter, admissions booklet and test/written work booklet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bachmts)
    Are u sure it's D? I get A:

alright it goes like this:
    100-98 (he gets 2+1+0), 97-91 (he gets 6+5+4+3+2+1+0), 91-84 (gets 6+5+4+3+2+1+0) and so on u get the idea.

If u take the lower boundaries that makes a total of 13 (91, 84, ..., 7).

Each time u get 6+5+4+3+2+1+0=21, so 13*21= 273.
    Then u add 3 (for no. 100-98) so u get 276.

edit:

alright just realized my mistake. 0 is the last lower boundary so it's another 21 which makes 297
    thank you so much ...i made the same mistake you made when i did it! thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Shooting star- are you applying for PPE?

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.