Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy123123)
    Shooting star- are you applying for PPE?
    Check the first post - should tell you all you need to know

EDIT: And you're not on my list - so you're Hertford and...PPE...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy123123)
    Shooting star- are you applying for PPE?
    nope, i'm aplying for E&M...i take it you are applying for PPE?

ReputationRep:
    I think I already know the anwser, but just to be sure:
    Do you get both parts at the same time, so you can work out how much time to spend on which on your own, or do you get a break in between?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elieshout)
    I think I already know the anwser, but just to be sure:
    Do you get both parts at the same time, so you can work out how much time to spend on which on your own, or do you get a break in between?
    I'm pretty sure they're separate tests. I don't know if you'd get a significant break (as in allowed to leave your desk or w/e), but I think you're given the multiple choice part first, and then after your time's up, you're given the essay part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    I'm pretty sure they're separate tests. I don't know if you'd get a significant break (as in allowed to leave your desk or w/e), but I think you're given the multiple choice part first, and then after your time's up, you're given the essay part.
    That's what I thought. Too bad, I was hoping to score some extra time for the essay by being quick on the multiple choice part.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I just made the 2008 test part 1. Had 4 mistakes, which I'd be happy to get on the real test. Three of them I get, but one I can't understand. I tried every way to calculate it, none of them give the supposedly correct anwser.

Spoiler:
    Show
    In a prize weight-lifting competition the winner receives $100 if he lifts 80kg. He then
    receives $10 for the next 5 additional kg, $15 for the second, and the incremental prize
    money increases by a further $5 for each additional unit of 5kg he successfully lifts.
    The winner of the competition lifts 110kg.
    How much prize money does he receive?
    A $ 130
    B $ 160
    C $ 235
    D $ 240
    E $ 310

The correct anwser is C.

Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I just made the 2008 test part 1. Had 4 mistakes, which I'd be happy to get on the real test. Three of them I get, but one I can't understand. I tried every way to calculate it, none of them give the supposedly correct anwser.

Spoiler:
    Show
    In a prize weight-lifting competition the winner receives $100 if he lifts 80kg. He then
    receives $10 for the next 5 additional kg, $15 for the second, and the incremental prize
    money increases by a further $5 for each additional unit of 5kg he successfully lifts.
    A $ 130
    B $ 160
    C $ 235
    D $ 240
    E $ 310

The correct anwser is C.

Anyone?
    Oh - this one's fine....

Spoiler:
    Show
    I literally just added up the maths bit by bit:
    So, for lifting the 110kg, he gets $100 for the first 80kg, then $10 for the next 5, then $15...
    so:
    80kg - $100
    85 - $110 (+10)
    90 - $125 (+15)
    95 - $145 (+20)
    100 - $170 (+25)
    105 - $200 (+30)
    110 - $235 (+35)

So the answer is C...
    There might be an algebraic way of solving this...?
    Hope this helps anyway!

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    A $ 130
    B $ 160
    C $ 235
    D $ 240
    E $ 310

The correct anwser is C.

Anyone?
    80--> 100
    85--> 100+10
    90--> 100+10+15
    95--> 100+10+15+20
    100--> 100+10+15+20+25
    105--> 100+10+15+20+25+30
    110--> 100+10+15+20+25+30+35= $235

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spaceman657)
    I thought I'd join in with the essay posting. First one I have done so far in 30mins and reading it back does not fill me with confidence lol. Any comments on how to improve are very welcome!!

Is ethical consumerism a solution to poverty or a dangerous distraction?

Over recent years we have seen a growing shift towards the relatively new phenomenon of fair-trade and ethical consumerism. The market is now flooded with such products and consumers are responding favourably.

Claiming ethical consumerism is a solution to poverty is a bold claim to make, but I argue it is definitely beneficial to the cause. Products such as fair-trade items increase the awareness of the public to some of the problems we face on a global scale. This increased awareness on a national scale can lead to pressure on government and consequently more foreign aid. Due to our electoral system the parties are essentially bound by the demands of the majority (if their aim is to win votes). If this more informed public now view poverty as a prominent issue, government must respond in kind in order to remain in office.

Whichever side of the argument one supports, it is undeniable that the direct benefits of ethical consumerism (e.g. suppliers are paid a fair price) can only be desirable. This will never solve poverty in itself but if the principle was applied globally then perhaps the result would be different. The profit motivation behind big businesses would prevent them from ever voluntarily paying suppliers more than necessary but consumer pressure for fair-trade products has backed them into a corner. The prices paid now are a step in the right direction and this can only be of benefit to those in poverty which it directly affects.

Ethical consumerism can be criticised, although not to the extent the title suggests. It has been viewed as a marketing gimmick deployed by businesses who do the bare minimum required to achieve fair trade status. This can be a problem if people feel the only charity they need to give is to buy with ethical considerations, as the effects of this are not substantial enough to address the problem sufficiently.

Ethical consumerism is neither a solution to poverty nor a dangerous distraction. But I argue it increases the likelihood of solving poverty. The increased awareness of poverty and how this relates to trade and employment results from ethical consumerism. Whether the direct benefits of ethical consumerism (ie fair trading prices) actually works to solving poverty is questionable but a society who is more aware of the problem is in a better place to do so – ethical consumerism brings this about. After all, how can we solve something when those in control (the electorate) do not understand the extent of the problem?
    That's good :o:

I understand time is very limited but I think you could have improved it by going into the bit in bold abit more- half of the question is addressing whether ethical consumerism is a distraction to solving poverty; perhaps you could have said something about measures which would be MUCH MORE beneficial than ethical consumerism in fighting poverty (calling on our governments for fairer trade deals / scrapping agricultural subsidies / etc). Also maybe talk about some drawbacks of things like fair trade:

Criticism: Similar to other farm subsidies, fair trade attempts to set a price floor for a good that is in many cases above the market price and therefore encourages, as fair trade opponents claim, existing producers to produce more and new producers to enter the market, leading to excess supply.[8] Through the laws of supply and demand, excess supply can lead to lower prices in the non-Fair Trade market. Link. Although going into the test we probably won't know a great deal about the topic....

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else having trouble with timing because I'm only managing about 40-47 in the 90 mins?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rev_pain)
    Is anyone else having trouble with timing because I'm only managing about 40-47 in the 90 mins?

I usually finish with a few minutes to spare.A way to get through quicker is to use algebra for the maths questions when possible-as it is faster than the other more elaborate methods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Graphix)
    Oh - this one's fine....

Spoiler:
    Show
    I literally just added up the maths bit by bit:
    So, for lifting the 110kg, he gets $100 for the first 80kg, then $10 for the next 5, then $15...
    so:
    80kg - $100
    85 - $110 (+10)
    90 - $125 (+15)
    95 - $145 (+20)
    100 - $170 (+25)
    105 - $200 (+30)
    110 - $235 (+35)

So the answer is C...
    There might be an algebraic way of solving this...?
    Hope this helps anyway!
    Thanks, I get it now. I thought he got $5 for each 5 kg unit, instead of 5$ more.

As for the time, I also usually have some time to spare. I usually save the ones I can't do in one go for last, so I know how much time I have for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09911041)
    2007 paper:
    Spoiler:
    Show

got mostly the same big letter = my different answers.
    1) B
    2) B
    3) A
    4) C
    5) C E
    6) A
    7) B
    8) D
    9) E C
    10) C
    11) C
    12) D
    13) A
    14) D
    15) B
    16) E
    17) Pig = 5, Cat = 7, Horse = 9, Dog = 12
    18) C haven't understood, but I've got A
    19) A
    20) B
    21) ...
    22) A
    23) B
    24) A & C
    25) D C
    26) E
    27) E
    28) A B
    29) B
    30) E B
    31) D E
    32) C D
    33) C
    34) A
    35) A
    36) C
    37) B
    38) E
    39) A
    40) A C
    41) B
    42) A
    43) B
    44) C
    45) C
    46) Don't understand. !!!
    47) D
    48) D
    49) D A
    50) B
    updated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matija_v)
    5 more days!! just want to get over it..
    ok, first here are my answers to the 2007 paper
    Spoiler:
    Show

1 B
    2 B
    3 A
    4 C
    5 C
    6 A
    7 B
    8 D
    9 D C
    10 C
    11 C
    12 D
    13 A
    14 D
    15 B
    16 E
    17 Pig=5 Dog=12 Cat=7 Horse=9
    18 C
    19 A
    20 B
    22 A
    23 B
    24 A oldest, c youngest
    25 B C
    26 E
    27 E
    28 A B
    29 B
    30 B
    31 D E
    32 C D
    33 C
    34 A
    35 A
    36 C
    37 B
    38 E
    39 A
    40 C
    41 B
    42 A
    43 D
    44 C
    45 C
    46 E how?
    47 D
    48 D
    49 D
    50 B
    25: I think it can't be B because it doesn't really matter if they exercise at home as long as there is a problem of obesity. also the conclusion is only about schools. Though, my "C" is probably wrong as well since it is only weakening the argument.

28: I think it must be B because we cannot say if A is wrong or not. For doing that you must have knowledge about the topic. Moreover finding a flaw means imo to find missing connections between reasons and arguments or the missing part in the chain but not to evaluate the reasons or assumptions.

31: Here I considered to choose either D or E. D seems to summarise the whole part. This is why I've picked E.

32: If you compare C and D you can see that C is supporting D. Thus it can't be the main conclusion.

Bin übrigens auch Deutscher ;-)

ReputationRep:
    Guys, im officially freaking out. Everyones so amazing

ALSO- has anyone done the NOV 2006 CIE paper 1...can we discuss the mark scheme??

p.s- im not a PPE student, EP.

ReputationRep:
    Hi can someone please help me work out this one? For some reason it's just not working in my head. Fromt he 2008 paper.

18. Inflation in Bolandia has been a steady 10% per year for many years. Evitan, a Bolandian citizen, bought his car one year ago for 500 Bols. He now wants to trade in his car for an identical model. He can expect to receive 80% of the current new value of his existing car. The price of new models has increased in line with inflation.

How many extra Bols will he have to pay for his new car?

A 50
    B 55
    C 60
    D 100
    E 110

ReputationRep:
    increases by 10%, so its 110% of 500bolts=550bolts.
    80%of the 550bolts=440bolts.
    so the difference is 110. (I hope that helps)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the Essays! That is really helpful! I also tried the leader- question... but I am quite unsure about the structure, arguments and everything. So, I hope to get some comments!

In order to be a successful leader, would it better to be loved or feared?

A successful leader has to possess different characteristics depending on his respective sphere of action- for instance, political leader, religious leader or captian of a sports team. But there is one attribute every single one of them needs to be successful: to be respected. As respect does not include neither fear nor love, it has to be discussed whether fear or love respectively are compatible with respect.

A person is usually feared because of violence or the threat of violence. Violence, as an instrumnet of power, is only used if it is really needed. No leader would use violence against his own fellows if he do not has to. But a person that is respected does not need violence in any case, because people will follow his instructions without it. Therefore, the leader who uses or threatens violence, needs it and is, thus, not respected. Otherwise, if a leader who is respected, nevertheless, uses violence, respect will turn into fear and he loses respect. (And as pressure causes countermovements, he will subsequently need to use pressure in order to maintain his leadership.) That means, that, referring to a leader, fear precludes to be respected and, hence, to be a successful leader.

Remains to proof the effect of love on respect. Whether respect is compelled to be part of love or not is difficult to examine, as love is an emotion which causings differ from person to person. However, love often includes it, especially if it is love to a leader. A leader is usually not known personally, so that the love cannot be based on the character, but on his competence. And persuasive competence will affect respect. Threfore, it is propable, that a loved leader is respected as well. Thereby, the worry that there will be a lack of discipline is unjustified, because, as above mentioned, people will follow a respected person.

To conclude, given that a successful leader needs to be respected, a feared leader cannot be successful, because fear and respect are not compatible. A loved leader, in contrast, can be successful, if love includes respect. Therefore, in order to be a successful leader, it would be better to be loved than to be feared.

Actually, I am not sure if this argument works or if I should include more arguments (time ). And maybe, there are a lot of errors, because I am not a native speaker. I am sorry for that (and I am sure that will be a problem in the TSA as well). So, I welcome every correction/ tipp concerning language, style, arguments....everything

Thanks a lot!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not talking to anyone in particular and this might not make much sense but... do you think for the essay it would be worth spending 10 mins or so just really thinking of all the possible things you COULD say in response to the question, however (ir)relevant they may be. I say this because looking at the essays posted (inc. mine), its clear that of the 20 (for instance) possible things you could talk about, often its just the first 1 or 2 good ideas that come into your mind that you mention in detail, missing out lots of good stuff. argh I'm making no sense. help.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean, and I think we should only focus on 2/3 points anyway. It has to be concise and structured. Also- Congrats on your bristol offer!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.