Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by berlinPPE)
    Thanks for the Essays! That is really helpful! I also tried the leader- question... but I am quite unsure about the structure, arguments and everything. So, I hope to get some comments!

In order to be a successful leader, would it better to be loved or feared?

A successful leader has to possess different characteristics depending on his respective sphere of action- for instance, political leader, religious leader or captian of a sports team. But there is one attribute every single one of them needs to be successful: to be respected. As respect does not include neither fear nor love, it has to be discussed whether fear or love respectively are compatible with respect.

A person is usually feared because of violence or the threat of violence. Violence, as an instrumnet of power, is only used if it is really needed. No leader would use violence against his own fellows if he do not has to. But a person that is respected does not need violence in any case, because people will follow his instructions without it. Therefore, the leader who uses or threatens violence, needs it and is, thus, not respected. Otherwise, if a leader who is respected, nevertheless, uses violence, respect will turn into fear and he loses respect. (And as pressure causes countermovements, he will subsequently need to use pressure in order to maintain his leadership.) That means, that, referring to a leader, fear precludes to be respected and, hence, to be a successful leader.

Remains to proof the effect of love on respect. Whether respect is compelled to be part of love or not is difficult to examine, as love is an emotion which causings differ from person to person. However, love often includes it, especially if it is love to a leader. A leader is usually not known personally, so that the love cannot be based on the character, but on his competence. And persuasive competence will affect respect. Threfore, it is propable, that a loved leader is respected as well. Thereby, the worry that there will be a lack of discipline is unjustified, because, as above mentioned, people will follow a respected person.

To conclude, given that a successful leader needs to be respected, a feared leader cannot be successful, because fear and respect are not compatible. A loved leader, in contrast, can be successful, if love includes respect. Therefore, in order to be a successful leader, it would be better to be loved than to be feared.

Actually, I am not sure if this argument works or if I should include more arguments (time ). And maybe, there are a lot of errors, because I am not a native speaker. I am sorry for that (and I am sure that will be a problem in the TSA as well). So, I welcome every correction/ tipp concerning language, style, arguments....everything

Thanks a lot!!!
    I haven't done this essay but maybe you could talk about the problems with being loved e.g. if you're loved you might be more likely to abuse your position / won't be sufficiently restrained (which will make you less successful, if you define success by the benefit you bring to the country)? Although this could apply to fear as well.. hmmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy123123)
    I know what you mean, and I think we should only focus on 2/3 points anyway. It has to be concise and structured. Also- Congrats on your bristol offer!
    Thanks

Ok so what would be best:
    - Seeing the question, 2 mins thinking of ideas.... launch into it with intro, 1st idea, 2nd idea, 3rd idea, conclusion... which would probably be longer and make more points given the limited time OR
    - Seeing the question, 10 mins thinking of ideas so that you have a more rounded / general view of the question.... same as before but shorter.

I don't know, its just that when i see the question i can normally only think of 1 or 2 things to say- maybe it would benefit me more (and anyone else..?) if one was to give oneself an amount of time just to "think" / diversify. Am I chatting ****?

ReputationRep:
    No, your not. I told my best friend earlier that i was going to spend just under 10mins planning, then writing. It takes me a long time to think about my answers, and if i plan more i have a better structure, and i can write constantly, instead of stopping every 5/10mins (and think about what to write.)
    Im just worried ive spent too long preparing for this, and it wont be worth it. (i have SO much school work to do too!)

ReputationRep:
    @berlinPPE: I like your essay, however, I can't really give detailed feedback, as I think I'm not really able to do that well.. I'm not great at writing essays myself, so...

@09911041: I definitely think I got some answers wrong, did the test in a bit over an hour while listening to very danceable electronic music
    but I still do think 32 is C (it says nowhere that he dislikes pohotography, only that he doesn't want to talk about it) and I'm not sure about 25, 28, and 31, I could also agree with your answers to those questions!
    and 46: dunno really, that question doesn't make sense to.. but if i had to guess, i'd guess E, although 13.000 makes more sense, but it's not an answer!

@amy123123: could it be that you were inspired by a few of my ideas to the leader-question? or is it just coincidence? anyways, like your essay, coz I think in the same way..

@stashup: thanks for the feedback. I got 1,5 on my Austrian matura, not perfect but I chose the hardest subjects with the strictest teachers on purpose because I was interested in studying them (History, Politics and Philosophy) maybe it wasn't a great idea, because i could've got 1,0 with other subjects, but whatever, it's over now..

an alle deutsche: bin oesterreicher, mach aber mein TSA in kolumbien, weil ich da grad auf nem gap year bin..

ReputationRep:
    HELP. Question 46 I didn't understand when I first did it and having a quick look over it again I still don't get it. Q. 45 is here too but you don't need to answer it to do Q. 46.

Question 45
    Company Annual profit (£) Cost to buy (£) Number of Employees
    A ..............20,000 ...........18,000 .....................5
    B ..............24,000 ...........25,000 .....................8
    C ..............18,000 ...........20,000 .....................3
    D ..............30,000 ...........30,000 .....................10
    E ..............24,000 ...........24,000 .....................6
    Which company has the highest annual profit per employee?
    a. A
    b. B
    c. C
    d. D
    e. E

Question 46
    Use the same statistics as above. If an investor purchased Company B, and the
    profits for each company stayed the same, what net profit would the investor
    have made after two years?
    a. £2,000
    b. £48,000
    c. £16,000
    d. £50,000 loss
    e. £2,000 loss

Forgive me for being stupid but 48 000 - 25 000 = 23 000..? Why isn't it an option, and why does everyone put
    Spoiler:
    Show
    e
    as their answer??

ReputationRep:
    Lol not to be like everyone else (who says I got this and that) but I just got 84% at last years paper which I was shocked at =D

and I had some extra time... it's wierd. I think most people can do it if they just concentrate on it. Considering it's a 1 + 1/2 hour paper of rigerous logic, can be quite hard.

Now if only I could stop myself sounding like a two year old on my essay section... a guy can dream :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    @PGtips92: haha, thats what I meant 23.000!! not 13.000 i love it when I make mistakes like 48.000-25.000=13.000, I love doing such mistakes! well, ur right 23.000 would be logical but its not an answer so i figured maybe he has to pay 25.000 both years making it: 48.000-50.000= -2.000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matija_v)
    @PGtips92: haha, thats what I meant 23.000!! not 13.000 i love it when I make mistakes like 48.000-25.000=13.000, I love doing such mistakes! well, ur right 23.000 would be logical but its not an answer so i figured maybe he has to pay 25.000 both years making it: 48.000-50.000= -2.000
    Just incase you didn't know, the "@" doesn't quote someone, you have to "Quote" them to alert the m :p:

Anyway, yeh I guess that;s how you can get it, but I mean, paying twice to purchase the company?!? HAS to be a typo or something.

ReputationRep:
    guys-
    32 A netball tournament is divided into two stages. In the first stage, the teams are divided
    into equal groups within which each team plays every other team once. In the second
    stage, the winners of each group take part in a knockout competition which starts with
    four quarter finals.
    Which of the following could be the number of teams starting the tournament?
    A 8
    B 20
    C 44
    D 50
    E 72
    heeeeeeelp...

ReputationRep:
    guys-
    32 A netball tournament is divided into two stages. In the first stage, the teams are divided
    into equal groups within which each team plays every other team once. In the second
    stage, the winners of each group take part in a knockout competition which starts with
    four quarter finals.
    Which of the following could be the number of teams starting the tournament?
    A 8
    B 20
    C 44
    D 50
    E 72
    heeeeeeelp...
    Basically, if there are 4 QF, there are 8 teams in the quarterfinals - therefore, since only one team goes through from each group, the number of teams starting the tournament must be a multiple of 8. It can't be A, as this makes the group stage redundant - therefore the answer is E...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    How did you answer this-
    38 A piece of ribbon 8m long is folded in half so the two ends are on top of each other. This
    doubled 4m length is then folded in half again. The folded, 2m length of ribbon is then cut
    right through at its midway point.
    How many cut pieces are there and what are their lengths?
    A 8 pieces of ribbon each 1m long.
    B 6 pieces of ribbon, 2 of 2m long and 4 of 1m long.
    C 5 pieces of ribbon, 3 of 2m long and 2 of 1m long.
    D 4 pieces of ribbon each 2m long.
    E 3 pieces of ribbon one 4m long and 2 of 2m long.

I've even tried it, I dont understand!

ReputationRep:
    increases by 10%, so its 110% of 500bolts=550bolts.
    80%of the 550bolts=440bolts.
    so the difference is 110. (I hope that helps)
    Yes, thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Guys, im officially freaking out. Everyones so amazing

ALSO- has anyone done the NOV 2006 CIE paper 1...can we discuss the mark scheme??

p.s- im not a PPE student, EP.
    Do you have a copy of the mark scheme or do you want to see someone else's answers?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    How did you answer this-
    38 A piece of ribbon 8m long is folded in half so the two ends are on top of each other. This
    doubled 4m length is then folded in half again. The folded, 2m length of ribbon is then cut

For that I literally ripped a strip of paper, split it equally into 8 with lines and then did as it said. Simple!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    How did you answer this-

This comes down to being able to imagine it in your head. At least, that's what I did.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Imagine just folding it once. You'd have one side with two loose ends, and one side with a loop. Now you fold it again. You now have one side which is a loop with two layers, and another side with two loose ends and the loop from before you folded the second time. Now we cut it in half. The two loose ends become simple 1m pieces (8m, folded to 4m, folded to 2m, cut to 1m). The loop on that end becomes a 2m piece, because it is the same as the two loose pieces put together. On the other side, you have the double-layered loop, which is in fact the same kind of loop you already have, twice. So, you have two 1m pieces and three 2m pieces

Hope that makes any sense at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elieshout)
    This comes down to being able to imagine it in your head. At least, that's what I did.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Imagine just folding it once. You'd have one side with two loose ends, and one side with a loop. Now you fold it again. You now have one side which is a loop with two layers, and another side with two loose ends and the loop from before you folded the second time. Now we cut it in half. The two loose ends become simple 1m pieces (8m, folded to 4m, folded to 2m, cut to 1m). The loop on that end becomes a 2m piece, because it is the same as the two loose pieces put together. On the other side, you have the double-layered loop, which is in fact the same kind of loop you already have, twice. So, you have two 1m pieces and three 2m pieces

Hope that makes any sense at all.
    Why just imagine? Why not actually do it? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merk that Sike of a Mike)
    Why just imagine? Why not actually do it? :p:
    Good point. Because it's harder with other versions of this question that involve things you can't make of paper?
    I wonder what they'd do if you started ripping paper on the actual test...

ReputationRep:
    I've marked the Nov 2007 paper which I've had a go at using the answers here.

I really don't get some of the questions. I would appreciate it if someone would be able to go through how to go about getting the answers.

Question 8
    A machine produces 130 nuts in 10 minutes. A second machine produces 264
    nuts in 12 minutes.
    How long would it take the two machines running simultaneously to produce 700
    nuts?
    a. 22 minutes
    b. 40 minutes
    c. 17 minutes
    d. 20 minutes
    e. 39 minutes

Question 10
    I have a deck of cards from which some are missing. If I deal them equally
    between nine people I have two cards to spare. If I deal them equally between
    four people I have three cards to spare. If I deal them equally between seven
    people I have five cards to spare. There are normally 52 cards in the deck.
    How many are missing?
    a. 3
    b. 4
    c. 5
    d. 6
    e. 7

Question 17
    Five fish = two pigs
    One pig + one cat = one dog
    One fish + one cat = one horse
    Four pigs + two fish = two dogs
    Four horses + three dogs = five cats + seven pigs + one fish
    If fish are worth 2, what are the values of the dogs, horses, cats and pigs?
    Dogs =
    Horses =
    Cats =
    Pigs =

Question 40
    Anna and John both drive to their new home 400 miles away. Anna drives the
    family car at an average speed of 60 mph. John drives the removal truck at an
    average speed of 50 mph. During the journey, Anna stops for a total of 1 hour
    and 20 minutes, John stops for half as long. What is the difference in minutes
    between their arrival times?
    a. 60
    b. 55
    c. 40
    d. 90
    e. 80

Thanks id advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j1991)
    I've marked the Nov 2007 paper which I've had a go at using the answers here.

I really don't get some of the questions. I would appreciate it if someone would be able to go through how to go about getting the answers.

Question 8
    A machine produces 130 nuts in 10 minutes. A second machine produces 264
    nuts in 12 minutes.
    How long would it take the two machines running simultaneously to produce 700
    nuts?
    a. 22 minutes
    b. 40 minutes
    c. 17 minutes
    d. 20 minutes
    e. 39 minutes
    Make them equivalent:
    In 10 minutes, you'd get 130 nuts + (264/12)*10 = 130 + 220 = 350
    350 nuts in 10 mins therefore 700 nuts would take 20 mins.

(Original post by j1991)
    Question 10
    I have a deck of cards from which some are missing. If I deal them equally
    between nine people I have two cards to spare. If I deal them equally between
    four people I have three cards to spare. If I deal them equally between seven
    people I have five cards to spare. There are normally 52 cards in the deck.
    How many are missing?
    a. 3
    b. 4
    c. 5
    d. 6
    e. 7
    You could use algebra but with some questions I just find hte easiest way is to DO it:
    a: if i have 49 cards, 9 goes into 49 5 times with remainder 4. nope
    b: if i have 48 cards, 9 goes 5 times remainder 3. nope
    c: if i have 47 cards, 9 goes remainder 2. could be.
    d: if i have 46 cards, 9 goes remainder 1. nope
    e: if i have 45 cards, 9 goes remainder 0. nope

therefore it must be c.

(Original post by j1991)
    Question 17
    Five fish = two pigs (1)
    One pig + one cat = one dog (2)
    One fish + one cat = one horse (3)
    Four pigs + two fish = two dogs (4)
    Four horses + three dogs = five cats + seven pigs + one fish (5)
    If fish are worth 2, what are the values of the dogs, horses, cats and pigs?
    Dogs =
    Horses =
    Cats =
    Pigs =
    F=2, therefore P=5 (1)
    4(5) + 2(2) = 2(D) therefore D=12 (4)
    5 + C = 12 therfore C=7 (2)
    I'm sure you can do the final equation with horses.

(Original post by j1991)
    Question 40
    Anna and John both drive to their new home 400 miles away. Anna drives the
    family car at an average speed of 60 mph. John drives the removal truck at an
    average speed of 50 mph. During the journey, Anna stops for a total of 1 hour
    and 20 minutes, John stops for half as long. What is the difference in minutes
    between their arrival times?
    a. 60
    b. 55
    c. 40
    d. 90
    e. 80
    Speed = distance/time

Anna: 60 = 400/time therefore time is 6 hours 40 mins. + 80 min stop = 8 hours total

John: 50 = 400/time therefore time is 8 hours. + 40 min stop = 8 hours 40 mins.

Therefore answer is C.

Hope these are right.

ReputationRep:
    I just have a quick question - it is possible to reuse the scores from previous years? If I took it last year, can I use it again this year?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.