Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrospect)
    I'll be doing the TSA for EP. Very nervous about the essay component. :eek3:
    Hi Retrospect! Arghh - I'm nervous about the essay too...!

ReputationRep:
    I sat the test last year and got 'average' on the Multiple choice but I know I did very well on the essay. Sitting again this year :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Graphix)
    Hmm...well, we'll have to see what we can do...I didn't think the crit thinking questions were all that bad. Some questions are exactly the same...

...I'll probs go on the 2008 thread and see how people mainly prepared then!

Also - we can ask pinkpenguin...?
    :hello: I saw applicants in trouble and lo, I bring aid. :awesome:

I did no real preparation. Luckily enough for me, I did Critical Thinking AS so was realatively prepared to the style of questions. I then did the practice TSA. That was pretty much it. I'll try and ask some people as to what the essay questions were last year... I did something about gender, but I can't remember the question!

All I can say is make sure you know what a valid and sound argument is, then just be in good form on the day. My score was not especially fantastic, I think I was the upper end of average in the problem solving and just above average for the essay question.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I am very worried about the TSA. Considering how 'poor' my A-level grades are, I need a good score in this to have a chance to get an interview. I don't think I'm so worried about the essay section, but the multiple choice will probably screw me up. Plus I don't know whether to prepare or not, or even how to prepare. Our Sixth Form seems to know next to nothing about this exam so they're not going to be much help.

I think someone asked this question before but it wasn't answered- what kind of score is considered 'good' or 'average' for this exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llacerta)
    I am very worried about the TSA. Considering how 'poor' my A-level grades are, I need a good score in this to have a chance to get an interview. I don't think I'm so worried about the essay section, but the multiple choice will probably screw me up. Plus I don't know whether to prepare or not, or even how to prepare. Our Sixth Form seems to know next to nothing about this exam so they're not going to be much help.

I think someone asked this question before but it wasn't answered- what kind of score is considered 'good' or 'average' for this exam?
    This x 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llacerta)

Firstly, chill

I'll try and help you out as much as possible.

In terms of preparation, I didn't do a whole lot. I did the practice paper and some critical thinking specimens to make me feel better. To be honest, the test is designed to test aptitude rather than preparation. My sixth form didn't help either - I was the only one sitting the exam!

What score did you get on the multiple choice?

Don't underestimate the essay section. Even if you don't do too well on the multiple choice section, a clear, concise and coherent argument in the essay section can secure you an interview. They want to know how you think and organise arguments, not just what score you can get on the test. Don't feel disheartened after the multiple choice and plan your essay thoroughly.

I take it you are an SPS applicant for Cambridge?? I don't really know how much weighting the TSA has, but for Oxford it's not the be all and end all. Tbh, I'd assume your PS would be most important.

On a side note - any PPE Oxford applicants, feel free to message me with anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    :hello: I saw applicants in trouble and lo, I bring aid. :awesome:

I did no real preparation. Luckily enough for me, I did Critical Thinking AS so was realatively prepared to the style of questions. I then did the practice TSA. That was pretty much it. I'll try and ask some people as to what the essay questions were last year... I did something about gender, but I can't remember the question!

All I can say is make sure you know what a valid and sound argument is, then just be in good form on the day. My score was not especially fantastic, I think I was the upper end of average in the problem solving and just above average for the essay question.
    Thanks for your time!

I did Crit Thinking AS too so hopefully that will be helpful...like you said, I guess it's about being in good form on the day
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Firstly, chill

I'll try and help you out as much as possible.

In terms of preparation, I didn't do a whole lot. I did the practice paper and some critical thinking specimens to make me feel better. To be honest, the test is designed to test aptitude rather than preparation. My sixth form didn't help either - I was the only one sitting the exam!

What score did you get on the multiple choice?

Don't underestimate the essay section. Even if you don't do too well on the multiple choice section, a clear, concise and coherent argument in the essay section can secure you an interview. They want to know how you think and organise arguments, not just what score you can get on the test. Don't feel disheartened after the multiple choice and plan your essay thoroughly.

I take it you are an SPS applicant for Cambridge?? I don't really know how much weighting the TSA has, but for Oxford it's not the be all and end all. Tbh, I'd assume your PS would be most important.

On a side note - any PPE Oxford applicants, feel free to message me with anything.
    Okay, thanks. Sometimes I need to be told to calm down.

I haven't actually tried to do the practice paper on the internet yet but I've had a go at a few of the questions and I can tell that some of it might not be to my liking. I might be making presumptions, but in the past from my own personal experiences I excel in argument based questions (like the essay questions) but struggle more with the logic based side of things. But yes, I'll give the multiple choice a go and see how I do before panicking too much...

Hmm, okay. That's good to know that the essay also has a fair bit of weight to it.

I'm actually applying to Oxford for Experimental Psychology, and I'm pleased to hear that it's not the be all and end all for Oxford. But as I said before, I'm in a position where my grades are letting me down and I realistically know that Oxford value academic achievement above all- something that I haven't proven I'm very good at (but hope to do so in the future). So a good TSA score would at least demonstrate my academic abilities.

Okay, thank you very much for your advice!

the essay is important for me cuz i flopped english, the multiple choice is important because i do not do maths! just a pretty important test for me all in all lol

ReputationRep:
    Roughly, what's the average mark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trollman)
    the essay is important for me cuz i flopped english, the multiple choice is important because i do not do maths! just a pretty important test for me all in all lol
    Just curious - why aren't you applying for Manchester PPE?

ReputationRep:
    I've looked around a lot and I am convinced Manchester dont do PPE. Do you mean Philosophy and political economy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moreiniho)
    Roughly, what's the average mark?
    Last year 'those who by definition are academically very able' scored 'around 60' overall.

Most common score was 59.9 for problem solving and 65.0 for critical thinking. Average total score was 63.3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izinku)
    I've looked around a lot and I am convinced Manchester dont do PPE. Do you mean Philosophy and political economy?
    http://www.ppe.manchester.ac.uk/

google gave me that :dontknow:

also where did you get the 'stats' from?

edit: just found the ucas thingie for ppe @ manchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    http://www.ppe.manchester.ac.uk/

google gave me that :dontknow:

also where did you get the 'stats' from?
    I sat the test last year and recieved them with my results.

But the Manchester course is not on UCAS! I am so confused!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izinku)
    I sat the test last year and recieved them with my results.

But the Manchester course is not on UCAS! I am so confused!
    Course code's LV25

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    Course code's LV25
    I dont know whether to apply there instead of Bristol.

because my first 2 choices are AAA then 3rd is AAB
    so i needed some lower choices cuz my school are telling me im being too ambitious so i need some lower offers, so politics and economics is ABB and so is it at southampton

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trollman)
    because my first 2 choices are AAA then 3rd is AAB
    so i needed some lower choices cuz my school are telling me im being too ambitious so i need some lower offers, so politics and economics is ABB and so is it at southampton
    Oh - so the offer for Pol and Econ is lower than for PPE...?

Oh - so the offer for Pol and Econ is lower than for PPE...?
    yes its only ABB, so must be less competitive so im more likely to get an offer, and they do not stipulate any maths requirements which is a bonus for me and im more interested in the pol and eco side anyway, the phil is just a bonus!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.