Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy123123)
    has anyone answered the following..(workings please)
    44 A bus company needs to have 13 buses operating every day of the week. Cleaning and
    servicing requirements mean that each bus is not available for operating services two days per
    week.
    What is the smallest number of buses the company must have to ensure that 13 buses can be
    available every day?
    A 17
    B 18
    C 19
    D 20
    E 21

and question 23 in the CIE nov 2006 paper1??
    i have no clue :eek:

ReputationRep:
    has anyone completed the last 20questions of the 2006nov CIE paper?? If so, please post the answers! i want to compare them with mine...
    Where can i get the 2006 paper? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications...def_id=765_804

paper1.

(could you please post your answers if you do it..)

ReputationRep:
    I am going to do it now.

ReputationRep:
    has anyone answered the following..(workings please)
    44 A bus company needs to have 13 buses operating every day of the week. Cleaning and
    servicing requirements mean that each bus is not available for operating services two days per
    week.
    What is the smallest number of buses the company must have to ensure that 13 buses can be
    available every day?
    A 17
    B 18
    C 19
    D 20
    E 21

and question 23 in the CIE nov 2006 paper1??
    I haven't sat down and worked this out yet...

But my thought is that 14 (rounding up)/7 (days of the week) = 2.
    2 buses must be off each day (apart from 1) if they need one day. Therefore 4 buses must be off (maximum) if they need 2.

13 + 4 = 17.

Btw, i'm applying for PPE at Balliol. Haven't really prepared but I tried one before I slept last night and got 45/50... Hopefully that's good enough, or else i'm screwed :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Totally confused by question 50 on the specimen paper (One involving cooking)...

Ahhh! The light has come to me whilst typing up my answer, she/he can prepare the meat whilst the bread is cooking.

I'll post this anyway, might be of use to someone else .

Edit: Also confused by question 11.

Why is 'B. If wages are not increased the business could close down.' correct, but 'E. If wages are improved the company will be saved.' is incorrect. Surely they're both the same conclusion, just worded in a different way?

ReputationRep:
    amiparanoid- could you briefly tell me how you went about applying to american uni's?? Isit to late for me to do it now??

ReputationRep:
    amiparanoid- could you briefly tell me how you went about applying to american uni's?? Isit to late for me to do it now??
    Quote me next time!

And sadly, most probably yes yes. You have to take the SAT 1 and 3 subject tests (sometimes known as the SAT 2), which you've gotta take before December and on two separate months (one for SAT 1 and one for the subject tests). I mean, you could turn up on the day (next week) and take the SAT, and take the Subject tests in December. But it'd be difficult. Plus i'm having to learn 2 new subjects for my subject tests, and still go over my Chemistry again, because the US syllabus is slightly different.

And after that you've gotta do all the different reference stuff and so on (but that isn't so much of a problem, even though it's very long). I'm only really applying because I have a gap year to do it in and my boss is nice enough to give me the odd day off to study. But hey, if you end up like me (which is hardly likely) then definitely apply over there- you may end up paying less and gaining a much more diverse degree...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amiparanoid)
    Quote me next time!

And sadly, most probably yes yes. You have to take the SAT 1 and 3 subject tests (sometimes known as the SAT 2), which you've gotta take before December and on two separate months (one for SAT 1 and one for the subject tests). I mean, you could turn up on the day (next week) and take the SAT, and take the Subject tests in December. But it'd be difficult. Plus i'm having to learn 2 new subjects for my subject tests, and still go over my Chemistry again, because the US syllabus is slightly different.

And after that you've gotta do all the different reference stuff and so on (but that isn't so much of a problem, even though it's very long). I'm only really applying because I have a gap year to do it in and my boss is nice enough to give me the odd day off to study. But hey, if you end up like me (which is hardly likely) then definitely apply over there- you may end up paying less and gaining a much more diverse degree...
    oh okay, i've looked at the int.student tuition fees and they're quite extortionate. Can in.students get bursaries? (If both parents together don't earn more than 65/70k a year?)

Also, isit compulsory for all students to take the three subject tests? And, is there only one set date for the SAT test, which is next week?

ReputationRep:
    p.s- just out of curiosity.. where do you work?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications...def_id=765_804

paper1.

(could you please post your answers if you do it..)

The first 20

Spoiler:
    Show

1 D
    2 C
    3 D
    4 A
    5 E
    6 E
    7 D
    8 C
    9 C
    10 A
    11 D
    12 E
    13 B
    14 C
    15 A
    16 E
    17 B
    18 B
    19 E
    20 C

Anyone get anything different? Is there a mark scheme available anywhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09911041)
    I've done the first 20 question. They seem easier to me.

Spoiler:
    Show

1. D
    2. C
    3. D
    4. B
    5. E
    6. E
    7. D
    8. C
    9. C
    10. A
    11. A
    12. E
    13. B
    14. A
    15. A
    16. E
    17. E
    18. B
    19. E
    20. C
    Hi I just did these qs as well, we got different answers for 4, 11, 14 and 17. Could you explain your workings so we can compare? :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    i havent found the mark scheme...what were your answers from 21-45??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rev_pain)
    Is the flaw not that the two things are unrelated and that they're mistaking a correlation for a cause and effect

(So I'd go with C)
    I got B for 17.

17 Scientists are about to carry out the biggest investigation yet into the causes of heart disease.
    People suffering from the condition have been asked to come forward with a brother or sister to
    help with the research. Through this, it will be possible to identify the genetic coding which makes
    people particularly susceptible to early deterioration of the heart. So, by examining genetic makeup,
    we will be able to identify those individuals who are at risk of developing heart disease.
    Which of the following is the best statement of the flaw in the above argument?
    A It assumes that modern science has the power to cure all diseases and stamp them out
    entirely.
    B It ignores the fact that there may be factors other than genetics putting people at risk of heart
    disease.
    C It assumes that people do not wish to know which disease they are prone to due to their
    genes.
    D It ignores the fact that the cost of the research may outweigh any financial benefits resulting
    from a cure.
    E It assumes that all sufferers of heart disease have a brother or sister who is willing to
    participate

I really dont understand how you got C, considering the conclusion is "by examining genetic makeup,
    we will be able to identify those individuals who are at risk of developing heart disease" :confused:

Our answers are different for 4 and 11 too.

ReputationRep:
    i havent found the mark scheme...what were your answers from 21-45??
    I havent done them yet, could you post your answers for 1-20?
    Also pls quote me when you reply, otherwise I dont see you've replied

ReputationRep:
    i got B too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopSlacker)
    Totally confused by question 50 on the specimen paper (One involving cooking)...

Ahhh! The light has come to me whilst typing up my answer, she/he can prepare the meat whilst the bread is cooking.

I'll post this anyway, might be of use to someone else .

Edit: Also confused by question 11.

Why is 'B. If wages are not increased the business could close down.' correct, but 'E. If wages are improved the company will be saved.' is incorrect. Surely they're both the same conclusion, just worded in a different way?
    Re. question 11: Nope, they are not the same thing re-worded.

'B' is essentially: "If something (P) doesn't happen then something (Q) will result.

'E' however, explicitly states that if P does happen then Q will NOT happen.

But this does not necessarily follow. There could be many other reasons why Q could happen, even if P does happen.

(In this case -- the business not being saved -- it could be because the business was unpopular with its potential customers, it's too expensive, the Marxist government bans all private enterprise... and so on.)

This is something pretty crucial for logic / the TSA, so I hope it helps.

-- From one feverish Oxbridge candidate to another.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    How did you answer this-
    38 A piece of ribbon 8m long is folded in half so the two ends are on top of each other. This
    doubled 4m length is then folded in half again. The folded, 2m length of ribbon is then cut
    right through at its midway point.
    How many cut pieces are there and what are their lengths?
    A 8 pieces of ribbon each 1m long.
    B 6 pieces of ribbon, 2 of 2m long and 4 of 1m long.
    C 5 pieces of ribbon, 3 of 2m long and 2 of 1m long.
    D 4 pieces of ribbon each 2m long.
    E 3 pieces of ribbon one 4m long and 2 of 2m long.

I've even tried it, I dont understand!
    I tried it with tissue, is that allowed lol?

Also i'm having trouble with question 49 and 50 on the 2008 paper. 49 seems like an easy one but i just dont get how they got their answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amiparanoid)
    I haven't sat down and worked this out yet...

But my thought is that 14 (rounding up)/7 (days of the week) = 2.
    2 buses must be off each day (apart from 1) if they need one day. Therefore 4 buses must be off (maximum) if they need 2.

13 + 4 = 17.

Btw, i'm applying for PPE at Balliol. Haven't really prepared but I tried one before I slept last night and got 45/50... Hopefully that's good enough, or else i'm screwed :woo:
    You may well be right and I may be wrong but I'm just not sure...

If 13 buses per day, 7 days a week: that's 91 bus slots.

I want each bus to have 5 slots (since it can then have 2 cleaning days) so 91/5= 18.2 which means a minimum of 19 buses, so C?

Anyone..?

EDIT: This is the question

A bus company needs to have 13 buses operating every day of the week. Cleaning and
    week.
    available every day?
    A 17
    B 18
    C 19
    D 20
    E 21

i just did the november 2007 paper any guidance on what i ot right/why i didnt would be very helpful thank you!

Spoiler:
    Show

1 b
    2 b
    3 a
    4 c
    5 e
    6 a
    7 b
    8 d
    9 b
    10 c
    11 a
    12 d
    13 b
    14 d
    15 c
    16 d
    17 12,9,5,7,5
    18 a
    19 a
    20 d
    21 n/a
    22 a
    23 no idea lol!
    24 a, c
    25 b
    26 c
    27 a
    28 d
    29 b
    30 b
    31 d
    32 c
    33 c
    34 d
    35 d
    36 c
    37 b
    38 e
    39 a
    40 c
    41 b
    42 a
    43 d
    44 c
    45 c
    46 a
    47 c or d
    48 d
    49 s
    50 b

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.