Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=PGtips9ce

ReputationRep:
    Grrr. Just finished the 2008 paper and the website's down, so I can't get the mark scheme. If anyone has it saved to their computer, could they upload it?

On the website, they've got quite a few pdfs of the relationship between TSA score and how likely the person is to get a first. The correlation is really strong. It was based on Cambridge students sitting the TSA in 2005 and 2006, and then sitting their end-of-first-year exams in 2007 and 2008 respectively. Because of this, I suspect admissions tutors will use it to a reasonable extent to 'value' applicants. Obviously, it won't be a hard and fast "whoever scores highest in the TSA gets offers", but I bet there'll be some correlation..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    Grrr. Just finished the 2008 paper and the website's down, so I can't get the mark scheme. If anyone has it saved to their computer, could they upload it?
    http://www.2shared.com/file/8850071/...nswer_key.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PGtips92)
    You may well be right and I may be wrong but I'm just not sure...

If 13 buses per day, 7 days a week: that's 91 bus slots.

I want each bus to have 5 slots (since it can then have 2 cleaning days) so 91/5= 18.2 which means a minimum of 19 buses, so C?

Anyone..?

EDIT: This is the question

A bus company needs to have 13 buses operating every day of the week. Cleaning and
    servicing requirements mean that each bus is not available for operating services two days per
    week.
    What is the smallest number of buses the company must have to ensure that 13 buses can be
    available every day?
    A 17
    B 18
    C 19
    D 20
    E 21
    Now that's a much better way of doing it... Yeah I think you're right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy123123)
    oh okay, i've looked at the int.student tuition fees and they're quite extortionate. Can in.students get bursaries? (If both parents together don't earn more than 65/70k a year?)

Also, isit compulsory for all students to take the three subject tests? And, is there only one set date for the SAT test, which is next week?
    p.s- just out of curiosity.. where do you work?
    At I think it's 7 universities including Harvard, Yale, Princeton and MIT, you don't have to pay if your parents earn sub-$60k/year.

And you have to take 3 subject tests, and there are two dates before the deadline (1st January). Therefore you'd have to use up both, one for the SAT 1 and one for the Subject Tests. mm, yeah, the first one's next Saturday.

Oh, and I'm doing an Internship at the Houses of Parliament.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

Just marked it and got 38/50 . Not really sure what to make of it.

Does anyone have a method for completing questions 30 and 50 on the 2008 paper? They're picture based problems, so I'll screenshot them.

Question 30:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Question 50:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Any help's appreciated

Thanks

Does anyone have a method for completing questions 30 and 50 on the 2008 paper? They're picture based problems, so I'll screenshot them.

Question 30:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Question 50:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Any help's appreciated
    for the area one i just ingored the patern and worked it out normally by calculating the area of each brick and then dividing the total needed by that i think i got the right ans so..

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

Question 30:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Question 50:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Any help's appreciated
    30: 550*400/(10*20)=110 I have no idea why it is 1100 but 110 seems to be similar
    Probably I am doing sth wrong, but it doesn't really matter here.

50: It must be D. The middle part for Sarah has to be 3 or more because Vinod's right part is 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09911041)
    30: 550*400/(10*20)=110 I have no idea why it is 1100 but 110 seems to be similar
    Probably I am doing sth wrong, but it doesn't really matter here.

50: It must be D. The middle part for Sarah has to be 3 or more because Vinod's right part is 3.
    Cheers

You seem to be good at these.. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hi, someone's already posted a link to an uploaded answer key, but I was just about to do a paper when the site went down.. :/
    Please could someone post a link to the specimen/2008 papers+answers if they have them?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaderk)
    I tried it with tissue, is that allowed lol?

Also i'm having trouble with question 49 and 50 on the 2008 paper. 49 seems like an easy one but i just dont get how they got their answer.
    Take the piece of of paper you are working on and fold it as described in the question. Make a small tear into in the midway point. Unfold the paper and count the sections you have.

I don't have the test of the answer key but I think the solution is 5 pieces .

The official TSA website is down, so if you wouldn't find posting the sample specimen I would really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amiparanoid)
    At I think it's 7 universities including Harvard, Yale, Princeton and MIT, you don't have to pay if your parents earn sub-$60k/year.

And you have to take 3 subject tests, and there are two dates before the deadline (1st January). Therefore you'd have to use up both, one for the SAT 1 and one for the Subject Tests. mm, yeah, the first one's next Saturday.

Oh, and I'm doing an Internship at the Houses of Parliament.
    YOU ARE JOKING!!!!!!!!!

Do you by any chance attend an indep.school?? How did you find out you don't pay fees if your parents earn under 60k? (could you possibly send a link for a website?) I haven't seen that anywhere!! and most importantly, how did you register/sign up for the SAT test, which is next Saturday? Isit particularly difficult?

ReputationRep:
    wait, thats 60k dollars??? which is around £36k??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy123123)
    YOU ARE JOKING!!!!!!!!!

Do you by any chance attend an indep.school?? How did you find out you don't pay fees if your parents earn under 60k? (could you possibly send a link for a website?) I haven't seen that anywhere!! and most importantly, how did you register/sign up for the SAT test, which is next Saturday? Isit particularly difficult?
    I'm applying to US unis too - info about their generous financial aid packages are all over their sites (not all unis are very generous, mind).

Even if you're parents are earning up to $200,000 you still get some contribution, even it's only a small one...

ReputationRep:
    Help... I need a better way of working out the "which of these would most strengthen / weaken the argument", I ****** all these up

Answers:
    Spoiler:
    Show

1 B
    5 D
    11 A
    16 B
    18 A

?!? :confused:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    32 A competition to promote a magazine offers a prize to a randomly selected person from the very
    large groups of those who subscribed and whose birthday was on a randomly chosen day.
    I subscribed, and my twin is thinking of doing so.
    What would happen to my chances of winning if she does? Would they be:
    A nearly doubled?
    B exactly the same?
    C just slightly less?
    D about halved?
    E zero?

PS nevermind, I actually got it as I was explaining my rationale below

Spoiler:
    Show

The correct answer is C

My rationale is
    if X= total number of people in the competition and Y=total number of people having the same birthday as me
    My chances of winning are

Y/X * 1/Y

so if my twin joins Y+1/X+1 * 1/ Y + 1

In total 1/X > 1/X+1 , therefore my chances have decreased

ReputationRep:
    PGTips,

this is how I think about those problems: Identify the conclusion and reasons presented. Then ask myself which piece of "evidence" is most relevant to the reasons given.

Conclusion: There should be a physical tests as well
    R’s: practice requires physical skills
    A. Not relevant to conclusion
    B. Very relevant, nearly restating a reason in the question. It provides evidence to support a claim (remember we are assuming it to be true).
    C. Fine, but we don’t need ALL medical students to be surgeons
    D. Off topic of physical skill

Would you mind uploading your sample specimen. I want to try the test in full, but the TSA website is down right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izinku)
    32 A competition to promote a magazine offers a prize to a randomly selected person from the very
    large groups of those who subscribed and whose birthday was on a randomly chosen day.
    I subscribed, and my twin is thinking of doing so.
    What would happen to my chances of winning if she does? Would they be:
    A nearly doubled?
    B exactly the same?
    C just slightly less?
    D about halved?
    E zero?

PS nevermind, I actually got it as I was explaining my rationale below

Spoiler:
    Show

The correct answer is C

My rationale is
    if X= total number of people in the competition and Y=total number of people having the same birthday as me
    My chances of winning are

Y/X * 1/Y

so if my twin joins Y+1/X+1 * 1/ Y + 1

In total 1/X > 1/X+1 , therefore my chances have decreased

Do you have to use maths? If her twin applies, her chances of winning are going to go marginally down if there is already a large group, no?

PS Can you help me on the above questions :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salparadise)
    No it says so on the website. Which is odd as your result will probably be better second time around.
    Thanks. Could you provide the link to the website where it mentions that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PGtips92)
    Help... I need a better way of working out the "which of these would most strengthen / weaken the argument", I ****** all these up

Answers:
    Spoiler:
    Show

1 B
    5 D
    11 A
    16 B
    18 A

?!? :confused:
    They key to answering these questions is to identify the main conclusion first and then see what each of the options does for it. For example in question 5 the main conclusion is that seat belts need to be redesigned because they are only suited for average sized people. D supports this the most.

I can explain the other ones in detail if you want?

Could you give me a link to this paper please

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.