Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PGtips92)
    Help... I need a better way of working out the "which of these would most strengthen / weaken the argument", I ****** all these up

Answers:
    Spoiler:
    Show

1 B
    5 D
    11 A
    16 B
    18 A

?!? :confused:
    Which papers are these from btw? I think those questions are sometimes very hard as well. I wish I got 40+ scores:-P...
    but Mr. toast always cheers me up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8pTG9Mlm0I

ive been geting mid to high 30s i feel like a failure

ReputationRep:
    Ok guys lots of people have asked for someone to post up the papers because the websites down.
    I've got them all but the attachment limit on the website only lets me publish the mark schemes =S
    and the mark scheme for the nov 2006 paper which i've also found on my computer, thought you guys might find it useful =D
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf TSA_Oxford_Section_1_2008_answer_key.pdf (55.9 KB, 120 views)
  2. File Type: pdf TSA_Oxford_Section_2_2008.pdf (141.9 KB, 68 views)
  3. File Type: pdf TSA Specimen Answer Key.pdf (18.6 KB, 70 views)
  4. File Type: pdf TSA Cam (Ans's) 2006.pdf (291.6 KB, 117 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trollman)
    Ditto But Mr. Toast should help us. With me it's rushing my thoughts (which doesn't mean that I'm fast) which sometimes just prevents me from thinking clearly. Gonna do the 2008 paper tomorrow (if the site is working again :-O ) and see what that brings I think the problem is that we're all just a bunch of ******* geniuses here, each more of a ******* genius than the next :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyway you could upload a zipped (compressed) version?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy123123)
    YOU ARE JOKING!!!!!!!!!

Do you by any chance attend an indep.school?? How did you find out you don't pay fees if your parents earn under 60k? (could you possibly send a link for a website?) I haven't seen that anywhere!! and most importantly, how did you register/sign up for the SAT test, which is next Saturday? Isit particularly difficult?
    I got a Scholarship to an Independent school and got the Internship without their help, if that's what you're asking :P

If you go to the Harvard College website (for example) it's easy enough to find.

Go to CollegeBoard.com. You do need to prepare for the SAT if you want a half-decent mark. I did about 3 weeks of preparation and still got 2100, which isn't great. But then I haven't done maths in years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    Thanks

Just marked it and got 38/50 . Not really sure what to make of it.

Does anyone have a method for completing questions 30 and 50 on the 2008 paper? They're picture based problems, so I'll screenshot them.

Question 30:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Question 50:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Any help's appreciated
    The horizontal length is 550 and each brick is 10cm
    550:10=55 bricks horizontally
    each of these 55 bricks is 20cm high
    you need the height to be 400 cm
    400/20=20 bricks needed

so in simple terms you need 55 bricks per row, and you need 20 rows
    55*20=1100

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izinku)
    They key to answering these questions is to identify the main conclusion first and then see what each of the options does for it. For example in question 5 the main conclusion is that seat belts need to be redesigned because they are only suited for average sized people. D supports this the most.

I can explain the other ones in detail if you want?

Could you give me a link to this paper please
    Yeh could you help me on the other questions please.

PMed the link.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to use maths? If her twin applies, her chances of winning are going to go marginally down if there is already a large group, no?

PS Can you help me on the above questions :o:
    You dont have to use maths but I find it helps me understand smth, I can rarely solve anything without using algebra

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amiparanoid)
    I got a Scholarship to an Independent school and got the Internship without their help, if that's what you're asking :P

If you go to the Harvard College website (for example) it's easy enough to find.

Go to CollegeBoard.com. You do need to prepare for the SAT if you want a half-decent mark. I did about 3 weeks of preparation and still got 2100, which isn't great. But then I haven't done maths in years.
    i got a scholarship too, but didn't take it. A huge mistake!! After wed i'll try to sort out this SAT stuff!

ReputationRep:
    so do i. But im just hoping PPE students are extra intelligent..and EP's aren't like that.

so do i. But im just hoping PPE students are extra intelligent..and EP's aren't like that.
    ppe will be the death of me, even if i get a place i will be the dumbest person on the course lol!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh could you help me on the other questions please.

PMed the link.
    Thank you

I already explained qs 5

Question 11:
    The main conclusion is that 'we should have a practical skills test as part of the selection process'
    A/ Supports this conclusion very strongly as it 'shows' that academics alone are nowhere near enough to be good at medicine
    B/ This supports the conclusion as well but is definitely not as strong as A and somewhat contradictory to the original argument
    C/ Not to do with the conclusion, as surgeons are not representative of all medics
    D/ Irrelevant

Therefore, A

Question 16
    Conclusion: ''it is the ability to cope...... "
    A/ This does weaken the argument by questioning the validity of the study
    B/ This offers an alternative 'explanation' as to why pessimists live longer and targets the conclusion directly
    C/ Irrelevant
    D/ Irrelevant

Therefore B. Eventhough A still weakens the argument, it doesnt directly attack the conclusion the way B does

Question 18
    Conclusion: the sentence starting with 'Therefore....' ie 'the biro's superiority was eventually conceded' .

A/ Attacks the conclusion by providing an alternative reason as to why the biro was more popular
    B/ Irrelevant
    C/ Irrelevant
    D/ Somewhat harms the argument because it'd mean that schools' behaviour was justifiable

The answer is A because it weakens the conclusion the most by giving a direct alternative

Question 1
    Conclusion : sentence after 'so it is obvious...'
    A/ Questions the definition of what is 'rich' somewhat harms the argument
    B/ Directly harms the argument by giving an alternative reason for the correlation
    C/ Irrelevant
    D/ Irrelevant

Therefore B!

I hope I helped

ReputationRep:
    ppe will be the death of me, even if i get a place i will be the dumbest person on the course lol!
    I feel exactly the same way , I'm one of the dumbest in this thread

ReputationRep:
    No, i very much doubt that. Every PPE student applying is amazing!!

ReputationRep:
    anyone have the TSA 2006 paper?

ReputationRep:
    come on guys...I'm struggling a bit with the TSA too but still! Anyone here not a straight-A student? *people shyly move around because they know Stashup's right in saying that we're all ******* geniuses as he already mentioned above* :-P On that note I'm gonna call it a night and watch another house-episode before I go off to bed :woo:

No, i very much doubt that. Every PPE student applying is amazing!!
    all the more reason for me to be the dumbest on the course sometimes i wonder why i am applying for thsi course lol, my strenths are sciences but im applying to an essay based degree silly stuff

and im nto a straight a student!

ReputationRep:
    If you're applying to PPE at Oxford then you're likely to have a high intellectual curiosity and therefore I bet, not dumb at all

Though that's easier said because I am feeling very thick reading this thread. But worrying about how thick I am compared to other people is not going to get me any marks, so I try to let it leave my thoughts.

And remember that no test will give you a question that's impossible to answer. I hope :P Granted some are harder, but if you think the right way, you should be able to master the majority of questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stashup)
    come on guys...I'm struggling a bit with the TSA too but still! Anyone here not a straight-A student? *people shyly move around because they know Stashup's right in saying that we're all ******* geniuses as he already mentioned above* :-P On that note I'm gonna call it a night and watch another house-episode before I go off to bed :woo:
    I got 6B's and 2 C's at GCSE :p: Have some very good reasons but it's still not going to give me the well-rounded application that might help me :o:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.