Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    Question 3:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Firstly I worked out the stuff that could be done together:
    Read revision notes on the train (40 mins)
    Paint nails & ring mum whilst watching TV (30 mins)
    Then just worked backwards:
    15:00 - 00:40 (train & revision notes) = 14:20
    14:20 - 00:10 (walk) = 14:10
    14:10 - 00:30 (TV & nails & phone) = 13:40
    13:40 - 00:25 (wash hair) = 13:15
    Question 8:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I worked out how much each machine produced in a minute, so:
    130 / 10 = 13
    264 / 12 = 22
    Then formed an equation:
    13m + 22m = 700
    35m = 700
    m = 20
    Ok thanks for that, yeah I need to practice division... Haha!! I actually do I do A level maths and I need division practice...

Im sure Q.2 is D...
    and Q20 is D...

For Q20. "if the pattern of sales continues what will happen?"
    b. describes a trend not an outcome....
    d Is an outcome, that is reliably supported by the infomation, so that ones confused me!

How did you do Q23 btw? Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stashup)
    Well it's the only one where you can lay the long carpet down and its breadth (4) fits in nicely. Then you just fill the rest of the space with the 4x4 carpet. I think this questions sucks a bit because I thought it implies that you can't cut the carpets off at the end (which you do have to do with the 4x4 one here)
    gotcha, stupid question....

Yep gonna be at Salem, heading down there tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys manage to do the 2005 or 2006 paper in 1,5 hours? the limit is set to two but I don't know whether that cann be applicable to us

Bachmts where are you from then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buffyboy)
    Ok thanks for that, yeah I need to practice division... Haha!! I actually do I do A level maths and I need division practice...

Im sure Q.2 is D...
    and Q20 is D...

For Q20. "if the pattern of sales continues what will happen?"
    b. describes a trend not an outcome....
    d Is an outcome, that is reliably supported by the infomation, so that ones confused me!

How did you do Q23 btw? Thanks again
    For Q20, even if the trend continued (of the price margin between the pies), apple sales for the next week would still be higher than cherry pie sales. However, we're only given data for one week, and we don't know anything like price or actual consumers shopping, so saying anything other than B is extrapolating too much from the data.

For Q2, D is an intermediate conclusion, and is then used as a reason to support the main conclusion.

Question 23:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This question could be done by algebra, but I actually think it'd take longer to construct the equations, etc. it says the mother's 3 times her daughter's age, and so we can eliminate all of them except for B and C. From there, I simply put both 7 & 21, into the 'equation'. If it was wrong, I knew it had to be 8 & 24, if it was right - bingo!
    7-6 = 1
    21 - 6 = 15
    9 x 1 != 15
    Therefore it's 8 & 24. To confirm:
    8 - 6 = 2
    24 - 6 = 18
    9 x 2 = 18

ReputationRep:
    Only just discovered some of the practise papers. Such a pain as means have a very limited time to do it tomorrow seeing as I have college and a vaccination.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm new here. I guess that you have only questions from the official website and from 2007? Does anyone have something more for practise? (apart from books like thinking skills)

ReputationRep:
    Hi, really a bit nervous about this TSA! Haven't been paying enough attention to this thread either! More worried about the fact that IB offers of 39 for Balliol are incredibly high compared with AAA at Alevel.

I can't seem much use in queries to multiple choice papers, as they can be addressed with the answer scheme. However I do think there is some use in putting up a quick answer to the long answer question in the spec paper. Please tear me to tiny shreds if necessary, it would be much appreciated - and so last minute! Thank you

Is it better to be loved or feared as a leader?

Napoleon said that he “only reigned by the fear [he] inspired”, and his legacy left in Europe, albeit as one of the first dictators, was of a strong centralised government. To this day we can refer to strong power as ‘Napoleonic’. Other great leaders, Julius Ceaser notably, said, "If one cannot be both loved and feared, it is better to be feared." There are few leaders who would openly admit to wanting one or the other, universally speaking. Hannibal, the father of military strategy, wanted to be loved by his army and feared by his enemies, whereas Middle Eastern leaders are perceived to be weak if seen as ‘lovable’, which is quite the opposite in Western civilizations. Here, the perception of being feared could not lead to re-election in the system of democracy.
    One could question what the goals are of a leader who strives to be feared – an emerging dictator? Regimes under Staling or Hitler, some of the 20th century’s most feared dictators, cast illusions that today’s friends could well be tomorrow’s enemies and kept their populace ‘on their toes’ as such.
    More benevolent dictators, if there was to be such an oxymoron, and democratic leaders have historically yearned for the love of their people, where popularity is seen as the best form of compliance.
    Mao Zedong, not necessarily as an example of the above, managed to create for himself the position of a God-like figure in his Communist China, where signs of it still remain. To lift oneself into the position of a cult leader, would require great love and admiration of course, but to sustain it in the minds of those who question this authority would require the demand of ‘re-education’, or in many cases, simply, violence and assault.
    To a great extent, it is an interchangeable continuum that the population would seek in their leader. We want to be able to love those who we elect in the democratic system, but we need to be able to know that they can act with authority in exceptional situations that demand extra-ordinary characteristics. One could question whether these demands of love or fear are indicative of the society being lead and their needs, or in fact of those who lead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stashup)
    Do you guys manage to do the 2005 or 2006 paper in 1,5 hours? the limit is set to two but I don't know whether that cann be applicable to us

Bachmts where are you from then?
    did the 2005 paper in ~90 minutes.
    first 20-25 questions were really easy again - could solve them quite fast - and then some question just stole my time.

Btw. I am now looking forward to doing the first section of the test on Wednesday. I want to know how good (or bad) I really am
    Additionally the second part is gonna be so much harder for me =/

ReputationRep:
    HELP me guys....

39) The following figures from a car magazine show values from which the running costs per year of several models of car may be calculated. These figures have been averaged over the first three years of the car’s life. Other factors (such as road tax and insurance) are the same for all the cars in the table. Note: 100p = £1.
    If a motorist drives an average of 24000 km per year and petrol costs 75 p/litre, which will be the most economical car over the three years?

Model. Purchase .Average depreciation ...Servicing cost...... Petrol
    ............price......per year over 3 years..average per year..consumption
    ................................ ................................ .................(km/litre)

Antares £7500.............. 10% ....................£320 .................16
    Belgo ..£12000 ...............6% ....................£360....... .......... 12
    Contina £10000 ..............8%................ ... £480 ..................20
    Dante £8000 ..................8% ....................£240 .................20
    Espera £11000 ................8% ....................£210 .................18

A Antares
    B Belgo
    C Contina
    D Dante
    E Espera

Answer:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    D?!?!?!?!?!?! how?!?!?

47) ................................ ..........47 CHOCOLATE EGGS
    ................................ ..................40 cents each
    ................................ ...................Buy 3 get 1 free

When I saw this sign in the supermarket I thought it meant that if I bought 3 eggs, one of the 3 would be “free”.
    However, when I took 45 of these eggs to the checkout I discovered that I had to pay for 3 in order to get one extra “free”.

How much more did I have to pay for my eggs than I originally assumed?
    A $1.20
    B $1.50
    C $1.60
    D $4.40
    E $6.00

Answer:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    C?!?!? how?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AoifeN)
    Hi, really a bit nervous about this TSA! Haven't been paying enough attention to this thread either! More worried about the fact that IB offers of 39 for Balliol are incredibly high compared with AAA at Alevel.

I can't seem much use in queries to multiple choice papers, as they can be addressed with the answer scheme. However I do think there is some use in putting up a quick answer to the long answer question in the spec paper. Please tear me to tiny shreds if necessary, it would be much appreciated - and so last minute! Thank you

Is it better to be loved or feared as a leader?

Napoleon said that he “only reigned by the fear [he] inspired”, and his legacy left in Europe, albeit as one of the first dictators, was of a strong centralised government. To this day we can refer to strong power as ‘Napoleonic’. Other great leaders, Julius Ceaser notably, said, "If one cannot be both loved and feared, it is better to be feared." There are few leaders who would openly admit to wanting one or the other, universally speaking. Hannibal, the father of military strategy, wanted to be loved by his army and feared by his enemies, whereas Middle Eastern leaders are perceived to be weak if seen as ‘lovable’, which is quite the opposite in Western civilizations. Here, the perception of being feared could not lead to re-election in the system of democracy.
    One could question what the goals are of a leader who strives to be feared – an emerging dictator? Regimes under Staling or Hitler, some of the 20th century’s most feared dictators, cast illusions that today’s friends could well be tomorrow’s enemies and kept their populace ‘on their toes’ as such.
    More benevolent dictators, if there was to be such an oxymoron, and democratic leaders have historically yearned for the love of their people, where popularity is seen as the best form of compliance.
    Mao Zedong, not necessarily as an example of the above, managed to create for himself the position of a God-like figure in his Communist China, where signs of it still remain. To lift oneself into the position of a cult leader, would require great love and admiration of course, but to sustain it in the minds of those who question this authority would require the demand of ‘re-education’, or in many cases, simply, violence and assault.
    To a great extent, it is an interchangeable continuum that the population would seek in their leader. We want to be able to love those who we elect in the democratic system, but we need to be able to know that they can act with authority in exceptional situations that demand extra-ordinary characteristics. One could question whether these demands of love or fear are indicative of the society being lead and their needs, or in fact of those who lead.
    How can queries be addressed using the answer key - all it tells you is the correct letter, not how to work through the problem.

With respects to your answer, it reads more like a history essay rather than an argument. You don't really put forward reasons as such for why you should go for either one, but rather just throw in a bunch of quotes. I'm completely lost as to what your conclusion is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09911041)
    did the 2005 paper in ~90 minutes.
    first 20-25 questions were really easy again - could solve them quite fast - and then some question just stole my time.
    Where did you get these tests?

ReputationRep:
    I just tried that 2003 paper that someone posted on here - I found it really hard compared to other papers that I've been getting 90%+ on... maybe they've got easier over the past few years.

It'd be great if someone could have a look (particularly re: number 46) or link me to a mark scheme or something. I've put a "?" next to it if I'm not completely sure.

Good luck everyone for Wednesday!

Spoiler:
    Show

1 b
    2 b
    3 a
    4 c
    5 c
    6 a
    7 b
    8 a
    9 d ?
    10 c
    11 c
    12 d
    13 a
    14 d
    15 b
    16 e
    17 dogs=12, horses=9, cats=7, pigs=5
    18 c
    19 a
    20 b ?
    21 - can't see the graph..
    22 a
    23 b
    24 a=oldest c=youngest
    25 e ?
    26 c ?
    27 b?
    28 d ?
    29 b ?
    30 b
    31 c ?
    32 c
    33 c
    34 a
    35 d
    36 c
    37 c?
    38 e
    39 a
    40 c
    41 b
    42 a
    43 d
    44 c
    45 c
    46 what?! I get income = (24000x2) = 48000, expenditure = 25000, so net profit
    is 48k-25k=23k. Where have I gone wrong here? Is the answer simply 48000?
    47 d
    48 d
    49 d
    50 b

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    How can queries be addressed using the answer key - all it tells you is the correct letter, not how to work through the problem.

With respects to your answer, it reads more like a history essay rather than an argument. You don't really put forward reasons as such for why you should go for either one, but rather just throw in a bunch of quotes. I'm completely lost as to what your conclusion is.
    To the former: work backwards from the answer given.
    As to my essay, I did approach it as history student, that much I give you. I do agree with your criticism of my conclusion or lack of a clearly defined one, I would have added a quote from Michavielli's Prince, in saying that there's greater security in being feared than in being loved, however I disagree with your idea of me 'throwing' said quotes 'in'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PGtips92)
    Spoiler:
    Show

HELP me guys....

39) The following figures from a car magazine show values from which the running costs per year of several models of car may be calculated. These figures have been averaged over the first three years of the car’s life. Other factors (such as road tax and insurance) are the same for all the cars in the table. Note: 100p = £1.
    If a motorist drives an average of 24000 km per year and petrol costs 75 p/litre, which will be the most economical car over the three years?

................................ ................................ .................(km/litre)

A Antares
    B Belgo
    C Contina
    D Dante
    E Espera

Answer:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    D?!?!?!?!?!?! how?!?!?

When I saw this sign in the supermarket I thought it meant that if I bought 3 eggs, one of the 3 would be “free”.
    However, when I took 45 of these eggs to the checkout I discovered that I had to pay for 3 in order to get one extra “free”.

A $1.20
    B $1.50
    C $1.60
    D $4.40
    E $6.00

Answer:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    C?!?!? how?!?!?!

39: That one took me around 5 minutes or more. And I couldn't solve really solve it either. Nevertheless I got the right answer.

Would be too much to right down.

47:

price originally assumed:
    45 eggs, you have to pay for 2/3 --> 30

actual price:
    45 eggs, you have to pay for 3/4 --> 33,75

So you have to pay for 33,75 instead of 30 eggs.
    These are 4 more: 1,60

edit: @ byakuya: they are somewhere in this thread on the last couple of pages. u can google for "CIE thinking skills"

ReputationRep:
    HELP me guys....

A $1.20
    B $1.50
    C $1.60
    D $4.40
    E $6.00

Answer:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    C?!?!? how?!?!?!
    I thought: 45/3= 15 -> so 15 eggs will be for free
    -> 45-15= 30 -> I have to pay for 30 -> 30*0.40=12.00$
    But: 45/4= 11 1/4 (because I have to pay for 3 and then i get 1 free)
    the difference between the two is: 15 free eggs - 11 free eggs= 4 eggs = 4*0,40 = 1,60$ (price difference)

hope that helps?

the other question is also pure maths.., I'll get to it when I have more time, sry, but try to find shortcuts and you'll get it!

aaah, maybe 09911041's answer is easier to understand..

ReputationRep:
    HELP me guys....

A Antares
    B Belgo
    C Contina
    D Dante
    E Espera

Answer:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    D?!?!?!?!?!?! how?!?!?
    Some of these questions can be solved without any calculation saving vital time. D is the second cheapest for both purchase price and servicing and ,vitally, the most fuel efficient; hence it is the most economical. I don't think depreciation is even relevant to how economical it is as it technically dosn't "cost" anything each year. If it is relevant that percentage comes off an already low value so it doesn't sway the answer. In the real exam I'll use spare time at the end to check things like this but this one seemed obvious.

ReputationRep:
    Just tried one of the TSA essay questions. I have never written an essay based around philosophy before so any feedback would be much appreciated. Alternatively it may simply act a brilliant example of how NOT to write an essay.

Spoiler:
    Show

When if ever is forgiveness wrong?

Humanity seems to be part of a perpetual cycle of seeking reason in our lives. It is woven into our doctrine that the world is a place of cause and effect whereby everything has a motivation to do either good or wrong by you. Whilst the concept of forgiveness is enshouded with religious values it highlights how we feel that justice must be served in some kind of retributive form.

Man prides itself on its ability to advance, becoming an ever more civilised being. Yet if we lacked the ability to forgive surely this would not be the case; after all we would find ourselves dwelling on a past which may not help us rectify the future. And indeed if humanity is to better itself, being able to forget the past to improve the future is essential. Those who are deemed to have committed wrong many not be the agent to which blame should really be placed. After all circumstance may exist where they were not conscious of their wrong-doing. Whilst the individual 'wrong' has been done by may feel aggrieved, this may simply be a misconception. In this case, when the 'aggrieved' has clearly let their perceptions fool them, forgiveness to the supposed wrong-doer should be mandatory.

But how is it ever possible to forgive if the damage caused by the wrong-doer is irreparable? If a man were to murder a member of one's family as spontaneous reaction, surely forgiveness could never be justified - the action of the murder has not been justified. Given that forgiveness is a mechanism whereby guilt can be relieved, surely the murderer does not deserve such a liberalisation; he has just take the liberty of another.

The way the civilised man now looks at harm is not necessarily as nature intended. Rousseau believed that in the state of nature we would simply see an injury as an accident, something which merely causes one pain. If blame is contrived, contrary to how nature intended, then forgiveness as a concept is incorrect.

Whether it is right or wrong to forgive, given forgiveness' established position in modern day society, one can simply deduct that whilst it is possible to forgive, it is impossible to forget. Thus whilst forgiveness may be wholly justified it will never be the complete entity, instead a mere facade of acceptance.

Annoyingly I have just thought of another idea. Can a person wrongly sentanced for a crime they did not commit ever forgive the state?....

Anyways. come the real thing I think I will avoid the philosophy question (for now at least). Feedback would be good so that I can improve in the future. :yes:

guys so far i have done the

specimen

i was goingto do one more 2mro, what would you all recommend? pref one with mark scheme!

ReputationRep:
    posts.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help with this?

10 Harry lives at the top and Joe lives at the bottom of a hill 6 km long. Each Saturday they meet at
    a bench on the hill somewhere between their houses. They find that, if they both leave their
    houses at 10 am, they arrive at the bench at the same time. They both walk at 2 km/hr uphill and
    6 km/hr downhill. After talking for an hour they each return home.
    How much earlier does Joe arrive home than Harry?
    A They arrive at the same time
    B Joe arrives ½ hour before Harry
    C Joe arrives 1 hour before Harry
    D Joe arrives 1 ½ hours before Harry
    E Joe arrives 2 hours before Harry

Spoiler:
    Show
    Answer is E

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.