Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llacerta)
    Okay, thanks. Sometimes I need to be told to calm down.

I haven't actually tried to do the practice paper on the internet yet but I've had a go at a few of the questions and I can tell that some of it might not be to my liking. I might be making presumptions, but in the past from my own personal experiences I excel in argument based questions (like the essay questions) but struggle more with the logic based side of things. But yes, I'll give the multiple choice a go and see how I do before panicking too much...

Hmm, okay. That's good to know that the essay also has a fair bit of weight to it.

I'm actually applying to Oxford for Experimental Psychology, and I'm pleased to hear that it's not the be all and end all for Oxford. But as I said before, I'm in a position where my grades are letting me down and I realistically know that Oxford value academic achievement above all- something that I haven't proven I'm very good at (but hope to do so in the future). So a good TSA score would at least demonstrate my academic abilities.

Okay, thank you very much for your advice!
    I wouldn't panic too much for the logic questions. Just remember to work over it slowly and try not to panic. Write all over the exam paper if you need to. If you have no idea how to go about a question, ignore it and carry on. Come back later. I can't really give better advice than that.

The TSA will be used to determine which candidates should be admitted for interview. Your UCAS form + TSA will make them decide. After that, TSA scores and, to an extent, academic performance don't matter. The interview stage is where offers are secured.

How many PPE applicants have we got in the house?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izinku)
    Last year 'those who by definition are academically very able' scored 'around 60' overall.

Most common score was 59.9 for problem solving and 65.0 for critical thinking. Average total score was 63.3
    Do you know what score you need to get out of 50 to get the average mark? I'm assuming it doesn't directly translate but they use some sort of system.

(Original post by pinkpenguin)
    me - a "i might as well apply" applicant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trollman)
    me - a "i might as well apply" applicant
    Awesome! :awesome:

College?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Graphix)
    Hi Retrospect! Arghh - I'm nervous about the essay too...!
    I went to the open day yesterday and all the current EP/PPP students were saying how relieved they are not to have had to take the TSA - which didn't help matters.

Oh well, guess we're just gonna have to work through the specimen and hope for the best! :p: What course are you applying for?

ReputationRep:

mememememme!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moreiniho)
    Do you know what score you need to get out of 50 to get the average mark? I'm assuming it doesn't directly translate but they use some sort of system.
    Overall if you get 60 you're good, 70 you're excellent, 80 you're exceptional. These were standardized scores though.

ReputationRep:
    :headbang:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    :headbang:
    :five:

College?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trollman)
    yes its only ABB, so must be less competitive so im more likely to get an offer, and they do not stipulate any maths requirements which is a bonus for me and im more interested in the pol and eco side anyway, the phil is just a bonus!
    Cool cool!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrospect)
    I went to the open day yesterday and all the current EP/PPP students were saying how relieved they are not to have had to take the TSA - which didn't help matters.

Oh well, guess we're just gonna have to work through the specimen and hope for the best! :p: What course are you applying for?
    Yeah - I wish we didn't have to do it - but oh well!

I'm applying for PPE...

Maybe, if I'm bothered (if I have the time) I'll collate all applicants with course and college in the first post...

ReputationRep:
    :five:

College?
    Either Exeter, Brasenose, or Oriel. In that order. :dontknow:

I haven't visited Oxford though, so am mainly basing those decisions on how nice they look & what it says in the 'pros and cons' wiki :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Either Exeter, Brasenose, or Oriel. In that order. :dontknow:

I haven't visited Oxford though, so am mainly basing those decisions on how nice they look & what it says in the 'pros and cons' wiki :rolleyes:
    Nice!

That's what I did. I didn't see my college until interview. My Sixth Form demanded I change my original choice from Magdalen to something else because they said 'a state school pupil won't ever get an offer from Magdalen'.

I picked Keble out of the prospectus!

Disclaimer: Ignore my 6th form. They're stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Nice!

That's what I did. I didn't see my college until interview. My Sixth Form demanded I change my original choice from Magdalen to something else because they said 'a state school pupil won't ever get an offer from Magdalen'.

I picked Keble out of the prospectus!

Disclaimer: Ignore my 6th form. They're stupid.
    I think I'll probably end up picking Exeter, as I can't see anything else changing my mind - besides visiting the place, which won't happen..

Although of course, going to any college would be :awesome:

Good luck for when you start!

I think I'll probably end up picking Exeter, as I can't see anything else changing my mind - besides visiting the place, which won't happen..

Although of course, going to any college would be :awesome:

Good luck for when you start!
    im going to apply to exeter! its a really nice college! ill hopefully see you at the interviews, if we get them!

ReputationRep:
    My college has just entered me for this exam the other day, having a look at the specimen paper it looks a lot like critical thinking/GCSE maths to me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam92)
    My college has just entered me for this exam the other day, having a look at the specimen paper it looks a lot like critical thinking/GCSE maths to me...
    :confused: I was fine with GCSE maths, but some of the maths/logic questions on the TSA stump me.

Maybe I've just gotten stupider.. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Hello to all ppe applicants,

I have over 5 TSA past papers with essay questions for anyone interested in a bit of practice.

For all those who are interested send me a PM before monday please so I can fill you in on my offer...I can only give them to a number of people due to copyright...

ReputationRep:
    :confused: I was fine with GCSE maths, but some of the maths/logic questions on the TSA stump me.

Maybe I've just gotten stupider.. :eek3:
    Yeah some of them require a bit more thinking :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Sky!x I can't answer your PM coz you've chosen not to recieve them, change that and i'll get back to you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.