Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matija_v)
    ok, question 8:

the last 2000 metres would mean 20th to 25th lap, as the first 20 laps make up 8 km.
    so if you analyse those last 5 laps you´ll notice that he is steadily increasing his speed and running ahead of time. To know the answer you simply have to count the difference from the 20th to the 21st lap, then from th 21st lap to the 22nd... and so on, until the last lap (25th)
    all these differences together sum up to the time he is running ahead of schedule -> 17 seconds, so D is the answer

question 20:

just imagine a line going from the bottom left corner to the upper right corner in the middle of the table, you just have to count all the games with 3 or more goals, that would mean results of 2:1, 1:2, 3:0, 0:3, 3:1, 1:3... and so on; the numbers are
    5+7+10+4+4+3+8+3+3+1+2+3+2+2= 57 -> E is the correct answer

hope i could help..
    Thank you very very very much! :hug:

ReputationRep:
    How did they get the answer D-
    30. (cie 2005) Conducted tours of Oldfort Castle begin at the castle entrance every 15 minutes from 9.30 am to 5.00 pm daily. Each tour takes 35 minutes to complete.
    A number of guides are employed on a part-time basis to lead these tours. However, on a day
    when a guide does work, he/she is expected to lead a minimum of six guided tours.
    What is the earliest possible time a guide at Oldfort Castle can hope to finish work for the day?
    A 11.35 am
    B 1.00 pm
    C 1.15 pm
    D 1.50 pm
    E 2.00 pm

and-
    29 The length of a chain necklace is given by the length of each link minus twice the thickness of the
    metal in a link all multiplied by the number of links.
    How many links are there in a necklace 63 cm long with 4.0 mm long links of metal 0.25 mm
    thick?
    A 158
    B 168
    C 180
    D 236
    E 252
    (It took me a long time to do this..and I now don't understand my workings! answers 180)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stashup)
    You can download some from http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications...def_id=765_804

Then there's the 2006 paper+answers Attachment 77674

Attachment 77675 don't know why the files appear in this way

And then there's the 2007 paper without answers but many people posted theirs in this thread between pages 35 and 45 i gues...You'll have to use the search function.

Thanks a lot!^^

ReputationRep:
    For this question i actually got 428- so went with 430...(help!)
    38 Quickfence Ltd has the following method for calculating the price it will charge to put up a new
    fence:
    • Labour is charged at £25 per hour or part of an hour. It takes ¾ hour of labour per metre to
    put up a fence.
    • Fence panels are 2 m long and cost £20 each. If they have to be cut, the price of a full panel
    is charged.
    • Fence posts cost £5 each. A post is needed between fence panels and at both ends.
    What will be the price for a fence 13 m long?
    A £420
    B £425
    C £430
    D £505
    E £580

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matija_v)
    ok, question 8:

the last 2000 metres would mean 20th to 25th lap, as the first 20 laps make up 8 km.
    so if you analyse those last 5 laps you´ll notice that he is steadily increasing his speed and running ahead of time. To know the answer you simply have to count the difference from the 20th to the 21st lap, then from th 21st lap to the 22nd... and so on, until the last lap (25th)
    all these differences together sum up to the time he is running ahead of schedule -> 17 seconds, so D is the answer

question 20:

just imagine a line going from the bottom left corner to the upper right corner in the middle of the table, you just have to count all the games with 3 or more goals, that would mean results of 2:1, 1:2, 3:0, 0:3, 3:1, 1:3... and so on; the numbers are
    5+7+10+4+4+3+8+3+3+1+2+3+2+2= 57 -> E is the correct answer

hope i could help..

Hi. concerning question 8 I still don't get why it is 17 seconds. Isn't he running behind schedule for the first part of the last 2km? I think I don't get it because I'm not sure what they mean by "schedule". Is this always the difference to the 66 seconds/lap he wants to reach? I think I'm just interpreting the graph completely wrong maybe you could give me another tip

ReputationRep:

How the hell do you do this question? The answer is A. I really can't work out how to do it. Cheers.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy123123)
    How did they get the answer D-
    30. (cie 2005) Conducted tours of Oldfort Castle begin at the castle entrance every 15 minutes from 9.30 am to 5.00 pm daily. Each tour takes 35 minutes to complete.
    A number of guides are employed on a part-time basis to lead these tours. However, on a day
    when a guide does work, he/she is expected to lead a minimum of six guided tours.
    What is the earliest possible time a guide at Oldfort Castle can hope to finish work for the day?
    A 11.35 am
    B 1.00 pm
    C 1.15 pm
    D 1.50 pm
    E 2.00 pm
    Guide starts at 9.30. One tour is 35mins, so finishes 1st tour at 10.05. However, they can only start the 2nd tour at 10.15 (as tours run ever 15 mins). So 2nd tour ends at 10.50. 3rd tour starts at 11.00. Then just repeat that process for 6 tours.

ReputationRep:

Also don't get this one. Surely if you took 7 knives and forks, you might possibly use up all the gold knives. Or is this question not about which knives you have left but rather about hav ing a matching pair within the ones you've picked....?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)

Also don't get this one. Surely if you took 7 knives and forks, you might possibly use up all the gold knives. Or is this question not about which knives you have left but rather about hav ing a matching pair within the ones you've picked....?
    Yeah, that's why that question really sucks. It's about the ones you have in your hand not the ones in the drawer...I think questions like these are a proof that the people conceiving the questions are far from the infinite intelligence we might sometimes think^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sirensinging)
    Sooo... realise it's rather late (only 2 days!) but would anyone mind looking over my Section 2? This is the last of my TSA prep, since my actual IB exams start on the same day as the TSA.

To be a successful leader, is it better to be loved or feared?

In order to decide whether it is better to be loved or feared, it is necessary to first define “successful”. ”Successful” may be taken to mean a leader maintains power, is able to make the best possible decision, or leaves behind a notable legacy. It is also necessary to consider the type of leader, for example, national, religious or a team leader.

In order to maintain power, love and fear have different advantages depending on the political system. A democratically elected leader is much more likely to be voted in if he or she is loved. A feared leader, who may make violent or dangerous actions is much less likely to have the support to gain power. In an authoritarian state, however, the situation is very different. It is shown in several dictatorships, both currently and throughout history, that feared leaders are able to maintain power, especially if they can quash opposition. Yet it is entirely possible for a loved leader to maintain power as well.

If success is defined as the ability to make a difficult decision, it may be better to be feared. There are many difficult, controversial decisions to be made, especially for a national leader (such as wars, and recently, relating to climate change). A leader risks losing support, whichever, choice they make. For a loved leader, especially in a democracy, this may mean the end of his or her time in power. A feared leader may find such decisions easier, as they have not relied on love to maintain their power.

It is the leaders’ decisions that determine their legacies. If success were considered only as leaving a memorable legacy, history seems to show that fear is better. The most memorable leaders are those who commit what are generally deemed as atrocious humanitarian crimes. These leaders are often those who are war officers of heads of single-party states. Yet, especially in recent times, many loved leaders leave inspiring legacies. Many of these are religious leaders or humanitarian workers. Both loved and feared leaders leave notable legacies.

It is possible, too, that success is dependent neither on love nor fear. Many leaders, such as academics, are respected for their knowledge, skill and intelligence – on their work. This may apply to all leaders: rather than love or fear, it is their ability to do their job that makes them a good leader. This may be greatly affected by the love or fear of those they lead; maintaining power, making decision and the legacy they leave. Whether it is better to be loved or feared depends on the definition of success.

In hindsight, I should have used more examples. I was screaming Zimbabwe! Mugabe! and Hitler! Ghandi! in my head, but... Also, some awkward phrasing, but that was due to time constraints. Feedback?
    My essay was almost identical to this!!
    I think your one is better though :rolleyes:
    Tbh I did include examples such as hitler, obama, jimmy carter (who was loved but very unsuccessful), and jesus among others.
    I would probably change my format to make it a bit more out of the box tho.
    I'm sure almot everyone would have mentioned most of the people I mentiooned, so instead I'd focus on what it means to be a leader.
    I'd kinda make more essay like this if i had a second chance:
    If you are feared, then you can get away with making hard and unpopular decisions. However, when you are gone or that fear is removed then people will immediately stop following you/what you say. It is actually a very superficial form of leadership if at the first opportunity the people will drop everything that you've stood for.
    If you are loved then people will go out of their way to follow what you say, and will fight for what you stood for even when you gone from power. Indeed in the short term fear may be successful, as it allows you the liberty to make the decisions you believe in, rather than being a puppet to public opinion. However, in the long run being loved really does seem to have the best legacy. People like Martin Luther King and Gandhi were loved by their followers and they achieved unprecedented success. The same can be said of religioous leaders; Jesus, who was clearly adored by his followers- who themselves went on to lead the biggest religion in the history of man kind.
    It must be said, though, that respect seems to be far better for a leader than love or fear. Synthesises the authority of fear and the virtue of being loved etc etc And explain that synthesis.
    But then last two or three sentences:
    Clearly the success of a leader depends on the context. If a civil rights leader and democratic politician leader is to be successful it is most definitely better to be loved, yet in a totalitarian state or a monarcy clearly fear is more advantageous to remove opposition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moreiniho)
    Guide starts at 9.30. One tour is 35mins, so finishes 1st tour at 10.05. However, they can only start the 2nd tour at 10.15 (as tours run ever 15 mins). So 2nd tour ends at 10.50. 3rd tour starts at 11.00. Then just repeat that process for 6 tours.
    Thank you!! I completely ignored the every 15mins! Can do you any of the others too?

ReputationRep:
    29 The length of a chain necklace is given by the length of each link minus twice the thickness of the
    metal in a link all multiplied by the number of links.
    How many links are there in a necklace 63 cm long with 4.0 mm long links of metal 0.25 mm
    thick?
    A 158
    B 168
    C 180
    D 236
    E 252
    (It took me a long time to do this..and I now don't understand my workings! answers 180)
    630mm = no of link times (4 - 0.5)
    630/3.5 = 180

ReputationRep:

How the hell do you do this question? The answer is A. I really can't work out how to do it. Cheers.
    Anyone for this one?

ReputationRep:
    Okay erm, we have to form two equations, ones without the nan, the others with the nan-
    6(x+1)=5(x+2)
    u get x=4

x- no of people.

ReputationRep:

I think it is about having a matching pair within the ones you’ve picked...so by picking 7 knives and 7 forks, you are sure to have at least one gold knife and one gold fork - ensuring a matching gold pair..

ReputationRep:
    can anyone help with this??

"The rate at which an appliance uses energy is measured in watts. The unit of electricity used by electricity suppliers is the kilowatt hour, i.e. 1000 watts running for one hour. Electricity costs 5c per unit. People are being encouraged to use energy-saving light bulbs. However these are much more expensive that standard light bulbs as shown below:

Energy-saving bulbs:
    Price = $4.99
    Life of bulb = 6000 hours
    Wattage = 15 watts

Standard bulbs:
    Price = 2 for 49c
    Life of bulb = 1000 hours
    Wattage = 60 watts

How much money will you save in the lifetime of an energy-saving bulb by buying an energy-saving bulb rather than standard ones?
    A $8.51
    B $9.00
    C $9.98
    D $11.45
    E $13.50"

The correct answer in C, but i don't know how to get to that!
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    aaaah! i'm also stuck on this one:

"A football league is comprised of 22 teams. Over the course of a season, each team plays each of the other teams twice (home and away). For every game that is played, 3 points are awarded to the winning side, 0 to the losing side, and 1 to each side if the match is drawn. (There are no other possible outcomes to a game.) Each team's total points from all their matches played are added together at the end of the season and the three clubs with the fewest points are relegated to a lower league. If two or more clubs finish with the same number of points, their positions are decided by goal difference. A side with a higher goal difference finishes above a lower one.

What is the lowest number of points that a club can get in one season and not be relegated?
    A 4
    B 5
    C 6
    D 9
    E 18"

The correct answer is C...but how?! any help would be appreciated ..thanks..

ReputationRep:
    Where's that question from?? Haven't seen it before!

ReputationRep:
    Where's that question from?? Haven't seen it before!
    it's from CIE June 2007 paper...one of my tutors had a printed copy lying around so i picked it up today...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *shooting*star*)
    can anyone help with this??

"The rate at which an appliance uses energy is measured in watts. The unit of electricity used by electricity suppliers is the kilowatt hour, i.e. 1000 watts running for one hour. Electricity costs 5c per unit. People are being encouraged to use energy-saving light bulbs. However these are much more expensive that standard light bulbs as shown below:

Energy-saving bulbs:
    Price = $4.99
    Life of bulb = 6000 hours
    Wattage = 15 watts

Standard bulbs:
    Price = 2 for 49c
    Life of bulb = 1000 hours
    Wattage = 60 watts

How much money will you save in the lifetime of an energy-saving bulb by buying an energy-saving bulb rather than standard ones?
    A $8.51
    B $9.00
    C $9.98
    D $11.45
    E $13.50"

The correct answer in C, but i don't know how to get to that!
    thanks!
    Did you forget, that you actually need SIX (!!) ordinary light bulbs in comparison to one energy-saving one?
    so it is 18$ Electricity + 1,50 $ normal bulbs = 19,50 $
    compared to 4,5 $ Electricity + 4,99 $ saving bulb = 9,49 $
    19,50 - 9,49 = 10,01 $ (No idea, why I am 3 Cents off....)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.