Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gustav_35)
    Did you forget, that you actually need SIX (!!) ordinary light bulbs in comparison to one energy-saving one?
    so it is 18$ Electricity + 1,50 $ normal bulbs = 19,50 $
    compared to 4,5 $ Electricity + 4,99 $ saving bulb = 9,49 $
    19,50 - 9,49 = 10,01 $ (No idea, why I am 3 Cents off....)
    thanks! but how do you get $18 and $4.5??? i'm confused ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *shooting*star*)
    thanks! but how do you get $18 and $4.5??? i'm confused ..
    18$ = (((1000 h * 60 Watt) / 1000)* 6 ) * 0,05Cent

so:
    4,5$ = ((6000 h * 15 Watt) / 1000) * 0,05Cent
    (1 $ = 100 Cent)
    the /1000 -> they want kW/h not W/h

7 Years of physics were not wasted on me after all :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gustav_35)
    18$ = (((1000 h * 60 Watt) / 1000)* 6 ) * 0,05Cent

so:
    4,5$ = ((6000 h * 15 Watt) / 1000) * 0,05Cent
    (1 $ = 100 Cent)
    the /1000 -> they want kW/h not W/h

7 Years of physics were not wasted on me after all :woo:
    thank you so much !!!

ReputationRep:
    Any idea how much you're suppose to write for the essay? Roughly.

ReputationRep:
    In section 1 of the specimen paper I got 39/50 (78%). Is this any good? I feel I could have done better, but I have no idea what the average score is or what is a standard score for successful Economics and Management applicants at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliverschofield)
    In section 1 of the specimen paper I got 39/50 (78%). Is this any good? I feel I could have done better, but I have no idea what the average score is or what is a standard score for successful Economics and Management applicants at Oxford.
    No-one really knows. But I'd have thought that anything above 35ish would keep you in the running.

ReputationRep:
    What percentage did you people score on the mock test from TSA Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    Anyone for this one?
    Yeah I did it in this way:

now we have to buy 7 packets in 5 weeks however before we would have to buy only 5 and I took these two additional packets as a person 7-2 = 5 and then one spoon per pot which I again took as a person which gives 7-2-1= 4 I dunno if that is the correct method or if the result should be 4 but it seems logic to me (which I do not claim to be quality assuring) oh I cant believe it is tomoro I feel stupid as never..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consti.Rules)
    Just tried one of the TSA essay questions. I have never written an essay based around philosophy before so any feedback would be much appreciated. Alternatively it may simply act a brilliant example of how NOT to write an essay.

Spoiler:
    Show

When if ever is forgiveness wrong?

Humanity seems to be part of a perpetual cycle of seeking reason in our lives. It is woven into our doctrine that the world is a place of cause and effect whereby everything has a motivation to do either good or wrong by you. Whilst the concept of forgiveness is enshouded with religious values it highlights how we feel that justice must be served in some kind of retributive form.

Man prides itself on its ability to advance, becoming an ever more civilised being. Yet if we lacked the ability to forgive surely this would not be the case; after all we would find ourselves dwelling on a past which may not help us rectify the future. And indeed if humanity is to better itself, being able to forget the past to improve the future is essential. Those who are deemed to have committed wrong many not be the agent to which blame should really be placed. After all circumstance may exist where they were not conscious of their wrong-doing. Whilst the individual 'wrong' has been done by may feel aggrieved, this may simply be a misconception. In this case, when the 'aggrieved' has clearly let their perceptions fool them, forgiveness to the supposed wrong-doer should be mandatory.

But how is it ever possible to forgive if the damage caused by the wrong-doer is irreparable? If a man were to murder a member of one's family as spontaneous reaction, surely forgiveness could never be justified - the action of the murder has not been justified. Given that forgiveness is a mechanism whereby guilt can be relieved, surely the murderer does not deserve such a liberalisation; he has just take the liberty of another.

The way the civilised man now looks at harm is not necessarily as nature intended. Rousseau believed that in the state of nature we would simply see an injury as an accident, something which merely causes one pain. If blame is contrived, contrary to how nature intended, then forgiveness as a concept is incorrect.

Whether it is right or wrong to forgive, given forgiveness' established position in modern day society, one can simply deduct that whilst it is possible to forgive, it is impossible to forget. Thus whilst forgiveness may be wholly justified it will never be the complete entity, instead a mere facade of acceptance.

Annoyingly I have just thought of another idea. Can a person wrongly sentanced for a crime they did not commit ever forgive the state?....

Anyways. come the real thing I think I will avoid the philosophy question (for now at least). Feedback would be good so that I can improve in the future. :yes:
    Anyone???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kwinten)
    What percentage did you people score on the mock test from TSA Cambridge?
    I think the mock TSA Cambridge is identical to the specimen TSA Oxford.
    I scored 43/50 for the latter paper, so 86%. I hope I can repeat that performance in the real thing so that I can at least get an interview!

ReputationRep:
    What sort of raw score do you reckon would be a minimum to get an interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consti.Rules)
    Anyone???
    It is good given the time constraint of 30 minutes.
    Did you time yourself with this??

A point i think is important to add is that forgiveness needs a precondition of repentance. If the criminal doesnt repent for his wrongdoing then the whole idea of forgiveness falls to pieces. You are no longer "giving" anything as the criminal isnt seeking for any forgiveness to start off with.
    I think that is probably a time when forgiveness is wrong. Forgiveness should be used as a tool of betterment. Forgiving those who aren't guilty to begin with doesnt allow any advance, instead it stops the criminal from acknowledging the extent of suffering he/she may have caused. - The value and potential of forgiveness is therefore reduced.

Don't know if its a good point. Just thought of it now!
    Hope this helps!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the Mock TSA Cambridge is identical... It says that 63% was an average score.. at least for the specimen paper...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buffyboy)
    Yeah the Mock TSA Cambridge is identical... It says that 63% was an average score.. at least for the specimen paper...
    where can i get the mock TSA Cambridge ??

Is this the same as the specimen on the website?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Confused-teen)
    where can i get the mock TSA Cambridge ??

Is this the same as the specimen on the website?
    http://www.admissionstests.cambridge...nt.org.uk/adt/

Yeahh just look on the preperation matierals.... The cambridge spec paper's the same as the oxford one though... just online!

ReputationRep:
    I'm so going to fail this test :p:
    I might be alright on the multiple choice section, but the essay section... I don't stand a chance. Based on the one on forgiveness above, my writing style is pretty poor

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how the TSA is scored? On the research section on the website, it goes on about data of those accepted and rejected. Of those accepted, they had critical thinking scores and problem solving scores of around 64. Of those rejected, they were around 54. Is that like % or what?

ReputationRep:
    What sort of raw score do you reckon would be a minimum to get an interview?
    Obviously it depends on the essay as well, and also how other candidates do...

I'd say a score of 40 will give you a very good chance of an interview, whereas a score of below 30 probably leaves you in a weak position. Anything between those values I have no idea :dontknow:
    Does anyone know how the TSA is scored? On the research section on the website, it goes on about data of those accepted and rejected. Of those accepted, they had critical thinking scores and problem solving scores of around 64. Of those rejected, they were around 54. Is that like % or what?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasch_model

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Confused-teen)
    It is good given the time constraint of 30 minutes.
    Did you time yourself with this??

A point i think is important to add is that forgiveness needs a precondition of repentance. If the criminal doesnt repent for his wrongdoing then the whole idea of forgiveness falls to pieces. You are no longer "giving" anything as the criminal isnt seeking for any forgiveness to start off with.
    I think that is probably a time when forgiveness is wrong. Forgiveness should be used as a tool of betterment. Forgiving those who aren't guilty to begin with doesnt allow any advance, instead it stops the criminal from acknowledging the extent of suffering he/she may have caused. - The value and potential of forgiveness is therefore reduced.

Don't know if its a good point. Just thought of it now!
    Hope this helps!!
    Excellent point! Im liking the logic behind it. I wish I had thought of that at the time. I was struggling to think of points as I was planning, panicked about timings, started writing the essay, thinking of new points along the way. Hence what I wrote was kinda disjointed.

And yes I timed it. Thanks for the confidence boost!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    Obviously it depends on the essay as well, and also how other candidates do...

I'd say a score of 40 will give you a very good chance of an interview, whereas a score of below 30 probably leaves you in a weak position. Anything between those values I have no idea :dontknow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasch_model
    Cool cool. I've yet to drop below a score of 38/50 but then I'm rarely getting over 45 either. In the CIE ones, I mostly have been getting around 25+/30. I'm beginning to feel terribly average compared to some on here.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.