Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey, just saw that you dont have any PPP candidates on your list and just though i'd wave my little flag and say i'm out here and i'm panicking too :woo: lol it's tomorrow :eek:
    oh and i'm applying to St. Johns:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamstar)
    I'm so going to fail this test :p:
    I might be alright on the multiple choice section, but the essay section... I don't stand a chance. Based on the one on forgiveness above, my writing style is pretty poor
    I'm screwed for the essay section as well, although more because I doubt I'll be able to think of anything worthwhile to write.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martasek)
    Yeah I did it in this way:

now we have to buy 7 packets in 5 weeks however before we would have to buy only 5 and I took these two additional packets as a person 7-2 = 5 and then one spoon per pot which I again took as a person which gives 7-2-1= 4 I dunno if that is the correct method or if the result should be 4 but it seems logic to me (which I do not claim to be quality assuring) oh I cant believe it is tomoro I feel stupid as never..
    i decided that there were 4 people in my family so circled that answer purely as a fluke :cool: not recommended obviously :P but my dad did it as a fraction...it was 1 every 5 weeks so with grandma is 5/5 and without her is 4/5? i dont know if that actually works or if he's just as lucky as i am :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    I'm screwed for the essay section as well, although more because I doubt I'll be able to think of anything worthwhile to write.
    i'm an english student and i totally fail the essay section lol although i have starter getting better when i just took a really deep breath and struggled through a first paragraph and then though 'hey, this isnt too bad'. i think the thinking you cant makes it harder (as cheesy as i know that sounds)
    i hope you essay goes well tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Greatttt. The cambridge assessment website seems to be kaput at the moment. Can anyone remember any of the essay titles that I could try and do?

ReputationRep:
    I feel I've done all the preparation I can do, I'm just going to have a stress-free, lazy evening and just do my best tomorrow morning! Good luck to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    LAST GOOD LUCK TO ALL.
    GOODBYE people, hopefully see you in OXFORD.

Frosty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    ... This too :p:

By the way, I just realised that I'm not on the list! Could I be added please? (Though I suppose it doesn't really matter now seeing as it'll all be over tomorrow :p: )

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe this has come round so quick! :eek:

Been preparing with a couple of advanced problem solving IQ-test-type books from the local library and have sat the past papers in the last few days. I did one of them in an hour due to idiots invading the room I was in and generally being annoying, I decided to stop :rolleyes: I got 42 out of 50 and I assume that the other 30 minutes could be spent checking and correcting answers so I really really REALLY hope I find tomorrow's as workable.

I'm nervous but I am looking forward to it an a bizarre kind of way, just going to relax and go into the paper with a clear mind. It's not subject specific and it's all cognitive questions, none of them are impossible, just require some thinking so phewfggggh fingers crossed guys I really really wish you all the best of luck :yes: :eek3: :woo:

I need to ace this in order to get my foot in the door for an interview, pray for me guys I think I need it :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *shooting*star*)
    aaaah! i'm also stuck on this one:

"A football league is comprised of 22 teams. Over the course of a season, each team plays each of the other teams twice (home and away). For every game that is played, 3 points are awarded to the winning side, 0 to the losing side, and 1 to each side if the match is drawn. (There are no other possible outcomes to a game.) Each team's total points from all their matches played are added together at the end of the season and the three clubs with the fewest points are relegated to a lower league. If two or more clubs finish with the same number of points, their positions are decided by goal difference. A side with a higher goal difference finishes above a lower one.

What is the lowest number of points that a club can get in one season and not be relegated?
    A 4
    B 5
    C 6
    D 9
    E 18"

The correct answer is C...but how?! any help would be appreciated ..thanks..
    4 teams play always draw against each other and loose all the other games.
    these are 6 points for each of these 4 teams.
    Only 3 will be relegated, so the answer is C.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to freak out, I'm not that good with stressful situations. How are you all holding up? Does anyone have tips on how to handle nerves?
    Good luck, we'll all need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcl)
    I thought i'd best give an essay question ago before tomorrow as i have been concentrating on the problem solving section mainly...
    any comment, tips, improvements etc. would be greatly appreciated

"Privacy is only good because people aren't good. In a perfect world we wouldn't need privacy." Is that right?

Privacy is the ability to keep one's actions, thoughts and views concealed from the public, institutions and the state. An intrusion into privacy can come in many forms; CCTV, phone taping, email taping and personal records. But is is 'right' to intrude a persons' privacy? Firstly, 'right' could be defined as the morally or socially correct thing to do in order to unveil the truth. If this were so, then invading privacy may in some instances be the 'right' to do. So if we lived in a perfect world privacy wouldn't be necessary? What is a 'perfect' world? For this instance 'perfect' will take the form of no criminality.

It may be right to limit privacy in the way of CCTV as it can catch criminal acts. For example, a number of people claiming unemployment benefits due to their physical incapacity to work have been caught, via CCTV footage, being perfectly physically able. Likewise, it can be used to prosecute shop-lifters and has been used in the case of many Anti-Social Behaviour Orders. In this light it is difficult to deny that invading privacy can have beneficial results for society. However, the number of cases that rely on CCTV evidence that are won is relatively small as the evidence is not substantial enough to prosecute. Therefore, this does this really balance out the fact it is intruding the lives of many people not committing criminal offences? The question is; what is ranked higher socially, morally and politically, privacy or the need to catch criminals?

Privacy is viewed as a civil right and can be breached by personal information held on databases. Under Gordon Brown, the Labour government proposed that every person would have their DNA taken and stored if they were stopped by the police, whether they were proven guilty or innocent. It is morally incorrect to treat criminals and the innocent members of society the same. Is it also not morally right to treat everyone in society as though they are guilty; it contradicts the doctrine that a person are innocent until proven guilty. Also the recent case where a Cabinet minister left a disk on public transport that contained personal information about thousands of the British public highlights that institutions and the government cannot be trusted to safe-guard personal, private data. So just because the public want privacy it doesn't mean that they have something to hide. They may merely be concealing personal information they don't want to share with everyone as there is no need. But, then it can be scrutinised that if there is nothing for a person to hide why can they not reveal all?

In conclusion, although intruding privacy can help to unveil and convict criminals it cannot be viewed as neccessary in a perfect world. It treats people with the philosophical negative view on human nature that people must have something to hide. It is morally incorrect to treat the public as suspected criminals and therefore people should be able to live privately under the doctrine that they are innocent until proven guilty.

Thanks for any advise
    i'm applying for ppe
    sorry for not being really constructive but I think that you are not answering the question. In the first and second paragraph you are discussing whether CCTV is necessary which is simply not asked.

ReputationRep:
    By the way guys, I'm just reminding you that you must wait 24 hours (or so) before discussing the content of questions on this site tomorrow!

There are people taking it all over the world and you will only be doind yourself a disservice and hindering your application if you are giving other people the answers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    By the way guys, I'm just reminding you that you must wait 24 hours (or so) before discussing the content of questions on this site tomorrow!

There are people taking it all over the world and you will only be doind yourself a disservice and hindering your application if you are giving other people the answers!
    As a previous candidate (and successful one), how did you cope when faced with a block? Doing the past papers I've had moments where I just hit a mental wall and it's nerved me up a bit. Would you suggest sticking at the question and persevering or moving onto the next and going back to the difficult ones? Of course different things work for different people but it's always good to hear from people who've been there and done it.

ReputationRep:
    whats going on with some people saying they have done the 2007 paper? Where is this!?

ReputationRep:
    Can anybody tell me the word limit for the essay on the test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcl)
    Good point!!

i saw that you're doing PPE at keble which is what and where i'm applying to... just a quick question if you don't mind:
    Do you think they take the TSA into account that much? I've been getting about 65-75% and i know thats not great.... how did u do in it? if u don't mind me asking and any other advise would be more than welcome haha ... i'm rather scared about tomorrow you see!

thankkks
    Keble! Good choice :five:

Afaik (and I'm not let into much) the TSA is used as an easy comparative tool between candidates, especially due to the wide range of qualifications people may have.

I'm not sure how much weighting it has in terms of an offer or an interview, but if down to the wire between 2 candidates, TSA score may well be the deciding factor.

It's more of a case of adding another comparative tool to the admissions process.

I can't exactly remember what score I got. I know I was in the top 20% or so for the writing task (so above average) and remember being in the average clump on the bell curve for the multiple choice. I don't think my score was particularly special though.

(Original post by Coughsplutter)
    As a previous candidate (and successful one), how did you cope when faced with a block? Doing the past papers I've had moments where I just hit a mental wall and it's nerved me up a bit. Would you suggest sticking at the question and persevering or moving onto the next and going back to the difficult ones? Of course different things work for different people but it's always good to hear from people who've been there and done it.
    100% move on! There's nothing worse than being stumped by a question and getting frustrated. Literally, if you don't know how to go about it and have to think about it, move on and come back to it. It doesn't help your composure, and it's not like you have the world's greatest amount of time either.

i have to say im a nervous wreck been worrying all day about the test and ive been really busy at school and "just relax youll do fine" attitude from family/friends doesnt help lol! i feel so un prepared! i think im not to bad at the multiple choice but my essays are shocking, i get mind blocks whilst writing and then ramble :/ afterwards we can start the TSA made me cry thread lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09911041)
    4 teams play always draw against each other and loose all the other games.
    these are 6 points for each of these 4 teams.
    Only 3 will be relegated, so the answer is C.
    ok, that makes sense now!! thank you !

ReputationRep:
    Okay,ill ask again: What is the word limit for the essay?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.