Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxy402)
    Okay,ill ask again: What is the word limit for the essay?
    As much as is humanly possible to write in 30 minutes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxy402)
    Okay,ill ask again: What is the word limit for the essay?
    As many words as you can write in 30 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously??Well i wonder how much a person can write on Parking fines???400 words tops!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    As much as is humanly possible to write in 30 minutes
    :woo: :woo: :woo:

Just thought I should acknowledge your 3,333rd post

ReputationRep:
    Weirdly I just tried the same question (timed) that someone just posted. I came at it from a slightly different approach though but I felt more confident with this one than with the other philosophy based one that I had tried. Any feedback would be great.

"Privacy is only good because people aren't good. In a perfect world we wouldn't need privacy." Is this right?

Spoiler:
    Show

The word 'privacy' implies how mankind naturally desires the right to self-determination. We believe we are entitled to make our own choices - whether these are right or wrong - without the bearing of external forces. Thus liberty as a concept infers the importance of self-determination to the world, whether this is for the advancement of the individual or of society as a whole.

Presuming we lived in a perfect world, all individuals would be flawless, never putting a foot out of line. John Stuart Mill argued that the individual should be free to choose how they live their life so long as this did not cause harm to others. Given that the world is perfect, surely we will never harm others and therefore liberty is a natural right. If privacy did not exist it would be all to easy for others to coerce us into making certain decisions, thus meaning the impediment of our natural rights.

This argument, however, is far too reliant on the premise that coercion would still occur in a perfect world. In reality this would not necessarily happen. Despite the increasing role of the state, it is wholly possible that in a perfect world, where everyone has perfect knowledge, that governments could be aware of the natural desire for the preservation of liberty. But then again in a perfect world there is not necessarily any need for the state given that there would be no need for human justice.

If I were to bring a flaw to the reader's attention it would be this: perfection is simply a perception. As a result one man's perfection may be another's imperfection and vice versa. The "perfect world" is far too broad a term, one that cannot be provided with a universal solution. But if only 'good' can be done, and everyone sees what is being done as good, then surely there is as strong a case for privacy as there is for surveillance. If interference can be presumed to be 'wrong' there is a place in our society for liberty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelevra)
    :woo: :woo: :woo:

Just thought I should acknowledge your 3,333rd post
    :woo:

AWESOME!

...I have no life :sad: :p:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else have any other essay type questions that look remotely similar?

These are a few from Political Compass:

If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations.

I'd always support my country, whether it was right or wrong.

The freer the market, the freer the people.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Military action that defies international law is sometimes justified.

All authority should be questioned.

ReputationRep:
    Night before the TSA and I am now a wreck. Haven't revised enough, got 42/50 on a mock multiple choice and I am terrified. F%^$£!!!
    Good luck all, I will return to this post if I make it out alive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    :woo:

AWESOME!

...I have no life :sad: :p:
    On the contrary my dear, I find it quite reassuring that you're at Keble doing PPE and still have enough time to post on TSR.

(Original post by Consti.Rules)
    "Liberty is only good because people aren't good. In a perfect world we wouldn't need privacy." Is this right?
    Not that your essay isn't amazing (because it is), I'm pretty sure the title is '"Privacy is only good because people aren't good. In a perfect world we wouldn't need privacy.” Is that right?'

(Original post by moreiniho)
    Does anyone else have any other essay type questions that look remotely similar?
    Here are all the past essay questions that I've compiled after spending the last 4 hours reading the last 18 pages of this thread!

Spoiler:
    Show
    1 Freedom of speech does not mean you are allowed to say anything you want. Discuss

2 Why are so many people afraid of flying when statistically they are more likely to die in a car accident?

3 Should fines on parking be proportional to the income of the offender?

4 The blame for gender inequality lies in patriarchy but the solution lies in the hands of women. Discuss

5 Forgiveness is always right. Discuss

6 In order to be a successful leader, is it better to be loved or feared?

7 Is “ethical” consumerism" a solution to poverty, or a dangerous distraction?

8 “Privacy is only good because people aren't good. In a perfect world we wouldn't need privacy.” Is that right?

9 There was a final one about vision but I don't know what the exact words were and I don't want to misquote it. Something along the lines of: "Why is vision so important for Humans?"

eNjoY all you crammers out there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_man_himself)
    Night before the TSA and I am now a wreck. Haven't revised enough, got 42/50 on a mock multiple choice and I am terrified. F%^$£!!!
    Good luck all, I will return to this post if I make it out alive
    hang on... is 42 not a good score?

ALSO, to everyone reading this, can anyone provide me with papers other than 2008 and the specimen on the tsa site? many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelevra)
    Not that your essay isn't amazing (because it is), I'm pretty sure the title is '"Privacy is only good because people aren't good. In a perfect world we wouldn't need privacy.” Is that right?'
    wooops! I have evidently been thinking about J S Mill too much recently... legend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consti.Rules)
    Greatttt. The cambridge assessment website seems to be kaput at the moment. Can anyone remember any of the essay titles that I could try and do?
    I don´t know whether you wrote an essay of one of these topics, but these are some I remember:

1. When, if ever, is foregiveness wrong?
    2. Why is vision so important or human beings?
    3.Privacy is only good because people aren´t good. In a perfect world we wouldn´t need privacy. Do you agree?
    4. Should parking fines be based on the drivers income?

Hope that helps!
    Good luck tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Last sleep before the exam but trying not to panic too much! I'll be looking over a last few things but plan to relax for the rest of the evening so in a good mind for tomorrow. Bath, large bar of chocolate and early to bed, sounds good to me!!!

Best of luck to everyone but from what I've read, none of you will need it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcl)
    oh god... i realise this now!! haha thanks... i didn't really stick to the question oh well ive done more now ... i'll remember to stick to it tomorrow :P
    You've also got a fair few tautologies - where your sentence essentially says nothing. One example is: "'right' could be defined as the morally or socially correct thing to do in order to unveil the truth".

I got 41/50 in the spec, and 38/50 in the 2008 paper. I'd be more than happy to get either of these scores tomorrow, but for some reason, my marks seem to be getting progressively worse when doing the 'Thinking Skills' papers. Actually, my marks have constantly been going down..

I'm sure that's a coincidence though. I mean, i can't actually be getting worse with practise, can I? :o:

ReputationRep:
    Wow, suddennly suffering from a massive confidence crush. But I assume it's natural, will just head in there tomorrow and try my best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coughsplutter)
    Wow, suddennly suffering from a massive confidence crush. But I assume it's natural, will just head in there tomorrow and try my best!
    You got 42/50 with 30 minutes to spare.

Something tells me you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    You got 42/50 with 30 minutes to spare.

Something tells me you'll be fine
    Oh really? i knew it was a good score, but reading on here quite a lot of people gotten 45 and 46 and similar such scores which have been making me go :woo: :eek3: but I assume 30 spare minutes would give me the chance to up it/correct etc.

But I keep thinking I had a fluke! I should really just stop thinking about the test and think about something different, it's driving me mental! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coughsplutter)
    Oh really? i knew it was a good score, but reading on here quite a lot of people gotten 45 and 46 and similar such scores which have been making me go :woo: :eek3: but I assume 30 spare minutes would give me the chance to up it/correct etc.

But I keep thinking I had a fluke! I should really just stop thinking about the test and think about something different, it's driving me mental! :woo:
    I got 41/50 using up all the time, and was very happy with that. If I was offered a guaranteed score of 38 on the multiple choice tomorrow, I'd happily take it :yep:

ReputationRep:
    42/50 with 30 mins to spare!!!!! How is that possible?? I'd love to be able to do that. That just over 1 minute per question. You must be some sort of superhuman.
    From two practise papers I scored 39/50 both times, and I used all the time available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    I got 41/50 using up all the time, and was very happy with that. If I was offered a guaranteed score of 38 on the multiple choice tomorrow, I'd happily take it :yep:
    Oh phew, I had no real concept of what constitutes an excellent score so I was quite confused and thought anything below 45 was going to hinder me. But I'm glad to hear this is otherwise. I probably should have search it in this thread, I've not really had the chance to get on here much.

I guess I'm just stressing because I desparately need the TSA to go well. I have very bad GCSE's in comparison and AS that wasn't as good as it could've been. I have good reasons for that, but seeing as the TSA has quite a significant weighting I think if I did excellently in it I could take the edge off of the previous results somewhat.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.