Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    TSA 2008 Paper.. I'm getting D when i should be getting C! Someone please show me how they worked it out so that i know where im going wrong
    Thans in advance!

Pierre and Marc are waiters. In one particular month, Pierre worked 30 sessions at the
    normal rate and 10 sessions at the overtime rate. Marc worked 20 sessions at the normal
    rate and 5 sessions at the overtime rate. At the end of this month, Pierre earned 700
    euros. Marc earned 425 euros.
    What is the overtime rate per session?
    A 35 euros
    B 30 euros
    C 25 euros
    D 20 euros
    E 15 euros

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy123123)
    erm..the distance one of them could have travelled was a diagonal (i may have drawn it wrong!)- did you see it was 10km from ur diagram??
    No, 15km and that was the answer on the mark scheme. The question says that all the roads run either north to south or east to west so there are no diagonal roads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Confused-teen)
    TSA 2008 Paper.. I'm getting D when i should be getting C! Someone please show me how they worked it out so that i know where im going wrong
    Thans in advance!

Pierre and Marc are waiters. In one particular month, Pierre worked 30 sessions at the
    normal rate and 10 sessions at the overtime rate. Marc worked 20 sessions at the normal
    rate and 5 sessions at the overtime rate. At the end of this month, Pierre earned 700
    A 35 euros
    B 30 euros
    C 25 euros
    D 20 euros
    E 15 euros
    30x + 10y = 700
    20x + 5y = 425

Then just simultaneous equations, or trial and error .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sportychick_91)
    I overheard part of a conversation today in which one person said ‘in my 4-digit PIN the first two
    digits are my house number, the middle two digits are a prime number and the last two digits are
    a square number.’
    ‘That’s careless talk,’ I thought. ‘Now we all know the last digit of your Personal Identification
    Number.’
    What is the last digit of this person’s PIN?
    A 1
    B 4
    C 5
    D 6
    E 9
    Can that not be 4 and 9??
    I got D for that
    What is the right answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopSlacker)
    30x + 10y = 700
    20x + 5y = 425

Then just simultaneous equations, or trial and error .
    HANG ON
    now i got x=15 :|

Could you just do it
    i fink the nerves are getting the better of me!

ReputationRep:
    I got D for that
    What is the right answer?

it is D

ReputationRep:
    For the essay:
    One strong detailed argument for (/against) and a little argument against (/for) ..................OR............ ........................
    Argument for (/against) 50% and argument against (/for) 50% with conclusion at end.

Or something else?

ReputationRep:
    Thans in advance!

A 35 euros
    B 30 euros
    C 25 euros
    D 20 euros
    E 15 euros
    I did it algebraically.

30n+10x=700
    20n+5x=425

therefore: 10n+5x=275 if you subtract the second equation from the first
    subtract the new equation from the second to find 10n: 10n=150 so n=15

Sub that into one of the original equations to find x (overtime rate)
    450+10x=700
    10x=250
    x=25

ReputationRep:
    Quick question. for the essay section, if ur applying for E+M do u have to do the econ question or not. i know doing the econ question would be the logical thing to do, but wot if there's an alternative question u feel more comfortable answering, can you just do that question??

ReputationRep:
    I overheard part of a conversation today in which one person said ‘in my 4-digit PIN the first two
    digits are my house number, the middle two digits are a prime number and the last two digits are
    a square number.’
    ‘That’s careless talk,’ I thought. ‘Now we all know the last digit of your Personal Identification
    Number.’
    A 1
    B 4
    C 5
    D 6
    E 9

you're looking for a prime number that ends with the first digit of a square number.
    11 (prime) and 16 (square) are the only two which fit this condition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcl)
    haha....yeah same i mean i know its basic but you dont exactly get long

i really can't see how its dreadful though, i thought was ok
    if you cant see any mistakes and got a distinction in the AEA surely it wasnt that bad!!
    I think it could have been the bit about monopolies that was slightly dubious, however I could see the point you were trying to make - something along the lines of lack of competition regulation etc.

But a freer market perhaps implies greater levels of competition rather than it being restricted (perhaps by reducing legal barriers, patents etc.) However I think the person with the UNconstructive criticism was out of order. Its the day before the exam they shouldn't even try to give such harsh feedback.

Apart from that I thought your answer was extremely well written. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcl)
    NO i'm not applying for economics, i'm applying for PPE.....

and thanks for your 'uplifting' comment...
    if you wanted to do some constructive criticism you could atleast have said what exactly is wrong with economics i have included?!??
    i would quite like to know cos i thought it was quite accurate...
    please remember i did this in timed conditions so its rushed and i know there are quite a few typos where it doesnt make sense
    the basis of this essay is political anyway - negative and positive freedom

You do realise what the 'E' stands for...?

ReputationRep:
    HANG ON
    now i got x=15 :|

Could you just do it
    i fink the nerves are getting the better of me!
    X is 15 . You want Y. Sorry, should have said in the explanation.

So if X = 15, sub X back into one of the original equations:

30*15+10y = 700
    10y = 700-450
    10y = 250
    y = 25

ReputationRep:
    a square number.’
    Number.’
    A 1
    B 4
    C 5
    D 6
    E 9

The two digit square numbers are 16, 25, 36, 49, 64 and 81.

The middle two digits are a prime number so the square number cannot be 25, 49, 64, or 81 because there are no two digit prime numbers ending in an even number as they'd be divisible by two. That only leaves 16 and 36 so the last digit must be 6.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xerriva)
    I suppose the structure is good, but in terms of the economics - this is just pure nonsense. Seriously you should know more about free markets and economic history. I hope you're not applying for economics.

not tryna put you down, its well written but its just dreadful economics.
    Yeah I would also like to know what is "pure nonsense" in this essay.
    I've read it and yes it's not the most precise but it's definitely not wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnyxNation)
    Quick question. for the essay section, if ur applying for E+M do u have to do the econ question or not. i know doing the econ question would be the logical thing to do, but wot if there's an alternative question u feel more comfortable answering, can you just do that question??
    Yeah you can do any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    you're looking for a prime number that ends with the first digit of a square number.
    Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    What about 31 for the prime or 36 for the square and 23 for the prime? The only digit you can be sure of is the last one.

ReputationRep:

Or 13
    and 36

ReputationRep:
    GUUYSSSSSSSS-

Sally is helping her father dig worms for fishing.
    "That's exactly enough," he says as she places a worm in his tin.
    "How many do you need?" she enquires.
    "I use 4 worms on my hook and reckon on having to replace an average of one of these
    each time I cast. I cast 12 times an hour. Today I will fish 5 pools spending an hour at
    the first 4 and an hour and a half at the fifth. I always discard the worms on my hook
    when walking between pools."
    How many worms are in the tin?
    A 66
    B 69
    C 81
    D 86
    E 264

HELP........... its 81...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.