The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oh God. I'm completely failing on the maths/problem solving questions in the TSA. The essay part looks easy in comparison, now. :eek3: :frown:
Reply 101
Retrospect
Oh God. I'm completely failing on the maths/problem solving questions in the TSA. The essay part looks easy in comparison, now. :eek3: :frown:

Total opposite for me, I can do the mathsy questions but I'm not looking forward to writing the essay.
Adam92
Total opposite for me, I can do the mathsy questions but I'm not looking forward to writing the essay.

That doesn't surprise me, after seeing your A-Levels and chosen course on your profile. :p: I'm envious of people who can do maths...

I'm just looking over my answers and attempting the mathsy questions again, and it seems that in quite a few of them I've just misread something or made a simple miscalculation. How stupid. :frown: My carelessness will be the death of me.
Reply 103
Retrospect
That doesn't surprise me, after seeing your A-Levels and chosen course on your profile. :p: I'm envious of people who can do maths...

I'm just looking over my answers and attempting the mathsy questions again, and it seems that in quite a few of them I've just misread something or made a simple miscalculation. How stupid. :frown: My carelessness will be the death of me.

That's why you double check your answers in the real exam :smile:

I'm always making careless mistakes in my math exams though, I hope I don't muck up in the TSA
Thanks for all your emails people!

Hope those of you that have papers are making progress.

I've got a couple of Oxford TSA's left from 07+08. PM me if you are interested in hearing my offer.
izinku
Last year 'those who by definition are academically very able' scored 'around 60' overall.

Most common score was 59.9 for problem solving and 65.0 for critical thinking. Average total score was 63.3

Hmm, I sat the TSA last year as well, but my score report didn't give the average total score. Any source for that? (And it is worth stressing that the 59.9 and 65.0 were 'most common scores' instead of arithmetic means.)

To those interested, the stats (exactly the same document as I got with my results) are also available here.
Roundabout
Hmm, I sat the TSA last year as well, but my score report didn't give the average total score. Any source for that? (And it is worth stressing that the 59.9 and 65.0 were 'most common scores' instead of arithmetic means.)

To those interested, the stats (exactly the same document as I got with my results) are also available here.

What sort of raw mark out of 50 do you think equates to the average standardized score?
moreiniho
What sort of raw mark out of 50 do you think equates to the average standardized score?

I reckon if you get something like 35/50 on the practice test (on the website) you could expect to be pretty average amongst applicants. :smile:

However, this also depends on which questions you get wrong, since the score is weighted.
pinkpenguin
How many PPE applicants have we got in the house?

:centipe:
Salparadise
:centipe:

Quel college?
xxx
Originally Posted by pinkpenguin
How many PPE applicants have we got in the house?

Me too :smile: Most likely Balliol college I'm applying to.

Lame and sad as this sounds I'm actually quite excited about the TSA. Nervous excitement, but excitement nonetheless I just seem to really like taking problemy tests, I spend most of my boredom time doing internet IQ tests. Oh well at least I'll have some clue what's coming!
Reply 112
I did the TSA last year when I applied to Cambridge and did "well" (got 72.5 in the crit. thinking and 57.5 in prob. solving, giving 64.0 overall), despite the fact I thought it went terribly so I'm not too worried about the first part this year. However, I'm really worried about the essay section- I just dont see how I'm going to have enough time to write the entire essay in 1hour.
Achajecki
I did the TSA last year when I applied to Cambridge and did "well" (got 72.5 in the crit. thinking and 57.5 in prob. solving, giving 64.0 overall), despite the fact I thought it went terribly so I'm not too worried about the first part this year. However, I'm really worried about the essay section- I just dont see how I'm going to have enough time to write the entire essay in 1hour.

Um. It's not even a hour, it's half.
Reply 114
moreiniho
Um. It's not even a hour, it's half.

Oh god, now I really am sh***ing myself. Time to try a practice essay, maybe it wont be as bad as I think.
Achajecki

Isn't the essay part 30 minutes?
Reply 116
Okay, so I've update the first post now with a list of applicants.

Sorry if I've gotten anything wrong, esp. on the college front, but just let me know...if you're not on the list it's probably because I don't know you course and college so just let me know and I'll add you to the list!
nyenrico91
Hey guys, I've been practicing for the test using m.diamonds' papers and now I'm scoring over 90/100
They are extremely helpful and they come along with essay questions and answers. If you really want to do some practice, that's definitely fantastic!

Is this some kind of advertising ploy? :shifty:
Reply 118
Kneechuh
Is this some kind of advertising ploy? :shifty:

Seems to be, I still can't believe she was trying to sell a non-rival good that she'd obviously just pinched from somewhere; appalling.
Graphix
Okay, so I've update the first post now with a list of applicants.

Sorry if I've gotten anything wrong, esp. on the college front, but just let me know...if you're not on the list it's probably because I don't know you course and college so just let me know and I'll add you to the list!

E&M here - Hertford :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending