Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I found the multiple choice section MUCH harder than either the '08 or the specimen paper. I had at least 20 minutes to kill in both of those, but I went right up to the final second with this one. I had a few questions I wanted to check with everyone else:

1) The lorry driver going between X, A, B and C. I honestly had no idea how to do this...

2) The argument for closing the zoos. I chose 'the animals couldn't survive if released' as a weakening point, though 'schoolchildren can learn from animals' was tempting.

3) The tiles. I got 1 hexagon for every 18 triangles.

I did the life-expectancy question, it seemed like the only mildly 'economicsy' question there. It was alright, not amazing though. What did you guys write for this? I was short on points...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keynesismyhomeboy)
    I spent a while on that one too! After about 3 minutes I realised how much time i'd wasted and got so freaked out that I quickly guessed and moved on. what did everyone put for the question about the architects designing the train stations and their routes?? I selected the Circular route
    You had to check how many connections each station had. One of the drawings was different from the others (a connection too mucht), I believe it was indeed one of the two ciruclar routes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Achajecki)
    For the second part, considering I want to study E&M, I did the question about the effects on society of increased life expectancy. Unfortunately, after a reasonable start, the essay descended into a rambling mess ....hopefully they will care more about the section 1 score.
    I'm an E&M applicant too, and also did the life expectancy question...but I think I managed to completely mess the essay up - it was extremely messy!...so don't worry, you're not alone! I think I just ruined any chance at getting an interview...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roundabout)
    So how many of you actually worked the exam in reverse order? :p:
    From doing past papers, I figured time wouldn't be an issue. It wasn't :p:

I thought the multiple choice was alriiight. I don't think anything disastrous happened. Did anyone manage to work out that hockey players question!?
    (Original post by Lara:))
    I put 3 days in the end! Only because it was the longest run of public holidays I could see. lol

The question I spent far too much time on and still didnt get was the one about Sally and her gardening with the roof? and the 25 square metres? and the water butt thing?

not a clue.
    I put 4 for the granny one, as she could've moved to different countries.

I had to completely guess that water-roof one...

I answered the essay question about Europe invading the USA to abolish the death penalty. I think I had some decent points, but I think my structure was horrible. I spent about 10 minutes planning, and then completely ignored the plan. I think I just started to write random sentences/paragraphs after that, and then a 1 minute conclusion. I should've done a few practise essays to gauge the time constraints... :o:

ReputationRep:
    i didnt like the train station one - i ended up putting B i think - the one with two sqaures and the semi circle. It was bad basically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TsarinaMeg)
    haha... lol at the German guy... (or the non-German guy who was in Germany at the time...)
    I found section one really hard, and left out the last three questions since I didn't have time- I'm so annoyed with myself- can't believe I didn't have the guts to just guess!!
    Section 2 was good, though. I liked my essay- the one about the electoral system..
    I'm left wondering how much weight is "really" given to the TSA, I know it varies between different colleges but I really hope it doesn't count too much!

Anyone know when the results are officially out?
    i don't remember being one about the electoral system??
    nd i picked the question: "Since humanitarian intervention is acceptable, should Europe invade the USA because of its death penalty?"
    and i was relatively happy with it, took quite a different approach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keynesismyhomeboy)
    when is the earliest one could hear about interviews?
    I think I got 4. At least I believe that I saw 4 consecutive public holidays...

I got C on question 50

but I left so much out

Btw. what was the one with the tree obscuring the view of the house? I calculated 2,5m applying the same ration of the first tree to the first house to the second tree and the second house...but the nearest answer was 4m so I picked that...

And the one with the telephone bill? I took A after getting sick of calculating so much^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PNEJOE)
    I did that one too!

how did you do it? I did:

Intro: defined humanitarian intervention
    para 1: said why ithink the death penalty is inhumane in terms of freedom
    2: put some arguments in favour of the death penalty forward and tried to defeat them
    3: talked about how the loss of life from an invaision would be far greater than that saved from getting rid of capital punishment
    4: talked about how its all hypothetical anyway cz europe couldnt win such a war so pragmatically ts a pointless situation
    5: talked about how europe might say they are using it as a threat to deter america from capital punishment....but thats one of th key arguments for the death penalty!
    conclusion
    Sounds good I did:

Intro: defined humanitarian intervention, and why ending the death penalty would be classified as a humanitarian cause in the first place

But then 1) different societies have different moral codes and there is too much subjectivity surrounding the morality of the death penalty to justify intervention.

2) The means by which this would be implemented would be hypocritical as it would result in the loss of life for, apparently, the greater good- yet this is exactly the principle Europe are trying to remove.

3) antagonising the US by invasion could reult in retaliation and either armed conflict or a trade war.
    Conclusion

ReputationRep:
    I took the TSA in Germany (and yes, I am German) and was stunned at the number of absolute elite students who showed up there. Altough they were all really cool people.

I liked the multiple choice question for some reason, only messed up the very last question. Didn´t have a clue one that one but had a pretty precise idea on most of the others. Maths went brilliantly, the argument section is hard to judge for me.

I´d guess I will end up between 43-45, so I am definitely happy (got 43 in both specimen and 2008 paper).

I opted for the life expectancy thing..and well, I did my best but it´s definitely not anywhere near the excellence level.

Just hoping section 1 will keep me alive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    I thought the multiple choice was alriiight. I don't think anything disastrous happened. Did anyone manage to work out that hockey players question!?
    I got 45mins for the hockey one cos if there are 9 players who can be changed and 70 minutes then there are 9*70 player minutes (630) then divided it by 14 to get 45.
    Not sure if its right but it was one of the options.

ReputationRep:
    My exam performance can be summed up as terrible!
    I can predict that I did awfully.
    I don't know what happened. I guess about 10 of the multiple choice maths questions. I then completely panicked looknig at the questions in the essay section as they were really different to the specimens. I did question 3, the rational one, and I had no clue about what I was going on about. I had no structure!

Whats more important essay section or multiple choice? What percentage would you need to secure an interview?

Anyone do question 3 as essay, if so what did you include?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagikMonkey)
    I found the multiple choice section MUCH harder than either the '08 or the specimen paper. I had at least 20 minutes to kill in both of those, but I went right up to the final second with this one. I had a few questions I wanted to check with everyone else:

1) The lorry driver going between X, A, B and C. I honestly had no idea how to do this...

2) The argument for closing the zoos. I chose 'the animals couldn't survive if released' as a weakening point, though 'schoolchildren can learn from animals' was tempting.

I did the life-expectancy question, it seemed like the only mildly 'economicsy' question there. It was alright, not amazing though. What did you guys write for this? I was short on points...

I agree with your answers for 2 and 3, and I agree I didnt have a clue about 1 I put down one of the longer ones though it was bound to be the shortest one!

And pretty much had the same opinion on the longer question (applying to do E&M so thought best to do that one!)

ReputationRep:
    Talking about it now there are so many questions that I didnt know how to do. I only want an interview! And i just found out that the results arent resleased until 15th jan therefore we will have had interviews or not and know if we got in or not before then. Not comforting!

ReputationRep:
    Does it actually matter what essay question you chose to do? I'm applying for Economics and Management but did the Einstein one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rev_pain)
    I got 45mins for the hockey one cos if there are 9 players who can be changed and 70 minutes then there are 9*70 player minutes (630) then divided it by 14 to get 45.
    Same here, pretty sure about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09911041)
    i also think that it was harder than the ones from last year.
    Took me much more time and so I had to choose 2 answers randomly and had no time to check the ones I wasn't sure about.
    what is your answer for the last question? unfortunately couldn't think about that one.

But anyway, I kind of enjoyed
    Did the "reason - rational" essay which wasn't too hard.
    Btw. what did you guys (who did the same) write?

I did the same essay. What did you include because I bullsh**** a lot! Didn't know what I was going on about, and it had no structure!

ReputationRep:
    How many people did the question on reason and rationality? all the others seemed absolutely horrible. I wrote about how rationality seemed to be more objective, based on what society viewed to be reasonable whereas reason is more subjective and a result of the thought processes of the individual. So what we might call irrational behaviour is the result of faulty or unusual reasoning. Also said a bit about how you can be reasonable without being rational... something about living between two supermarkets and having no rational reason to pick one over the other and therefore rationality would dictate starving to be the only solution, so an irrational method like tossing a coin would be reasonable.

Multiple choice was pretty standard I though, only two I couldn't get were the last one on the pyramid with coloured sides and the hexagon to triangle ratio. It took me about 4 minutes to realise that just under 50% of students are always going to be under-average. I laughed in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rev_pain)

Lol I got that.. Though I must admit I guessed it

I did the einstein one.. Dawkins u are amazing... he invented my deffinition of science.

I put such a cheecky statement as my last line though...

"blah blah.. and you could even say that science is anything that helps us analyse and understand our world as accuratley as possible"

then thought about it and added

"(though this is strictly not true)"

Panicked and ran.. I had like 15 minutes left to think about this but got confused lol

ReputationRep:

1) chose B (XABCX) but am not really sure because actually all seemed to work out. hm!

i can't remember the others but I thought e.g. for XAXBCBX:
    A---X---B---C
    here XAXBCBX is simply the fastest route to reach all points.
    couldn't think of one for XABCX but actually there is a possibility:

...A-B-C
    .....\../
    ......X

i have no idea :confused:

2) have the same. thought about both as well. but they simply cant close the zoos if the animals wouldn't survive. since this("close the zoos!") was the main conclusion in the argument it should be the right answer.

3) i have 1:15. i simply counted one 3rd of the triangles and got 14 in one row and 11 altogether for the parts between.
    they were 4 rows so 14 + 11 + 14/3 = 29,66 for 2 hexagons.

ReputationRep:
    I think the multiple choice part was pretty ok, really hoping to get over 45 to make a good impression. The essay was bad, but I knew it would be, and it could have been worse. I did the one about invading the USA, because I thought it was just so cool, and I thought not that many people would choose it. Almost everyone at my centre had the longer life one.
    As for questions people asked:

1) I pretty much worked out in my head how they would be aligned if that were the shortest route. I don't remember what it was, but for one there was no way that was the shortest one, because of the rule 'if x is not on line yz, xy+xz is longer than yz'. Can't really explain it better than that.
    2) I chose the one about schoolchildren, because the text argued nothing could be learned, but it was one I was unsure about.
    3) I had 1:15. I selected the middle part, drawing horizontal lines so that both the bottom and upper part were the same form expect for the corners being cut off. Then I counted the triangles, which were 30 for 2 hexagons. Hence 1:15.

About the granny one: I had 5 days, there were 5 concessive holidays in April, and it was clearly stated that she made a trip to several countries.

About the roof: I had 2000. If you multiplied the amount of rain in an average summer per square meters (divided by half because half evaporated) by the amount of square meters, you got 2000. It said the butt was never full, so there was never any overflow.

About the stations: that was one of the difficult ones. I had C, the method I used in the end was that most stations had two point that only had two lines going from them (most had three), except for C, which only had one such point.

About the hockey players: I had 45 minutes. You had 14 players (16 minus 2) for 9 places (11 minus 2). If you take 9/14th of 70, it's 45.

Too bad we don't get results until after we get our offers/rejections.
    And now the stressing about interviews can begin!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.