Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmorrison12)
    this sort of ingenuity should stand you in good stead :P
    Well no one will see that he built the thing As far as they're concerned you could have done a 10-minute calculation on one question and got 1 number wrong which makes the whole thing wrong. >:O

ReputationRep:
    Did the life expectancy question, too. Thought I nailed that pretty much, but did absolutely horribly on the multiple choice. Was fine for the first twenty five or so questions, then went to pot after that! Nevermind, no point worrying about it now...

ReputationRep:
    this sort of ingenuity should stand you in good stead :P
    One would hope so! Should have sent my pyramid in :P

ReputationRep:
    Did the USA question after several minutes just staring at the page, starting the Einstein one and changing my mind after one sentence. Think I went way off topic and said some fairly stupid things.

The multiple choice bit was disappointing. Definitely harder than the 2008 one which I got full marks on. =( It would've been fine but I read and work very slowly so I didn't finish. At the end, I shut the paper and just filled in boxes at random for the questions I had left without even reading them. I wasted way too much time on some of the problem solving questions just checking too much and doubting myself. Found the reasoning ones easy enough though. I hope they don't look at the TSA too much for EP...

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think that the candidate number you get given is significant? As in does it reflect the number of people who have applied to a college or is it completely random? This may just be a completely pointless question... who knows?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consti.Rules)
    Does anyone think that the candidate number you get given is significant? As in does it reflect the number of people who have applied to a college or is it completely random? This may just be a completely pointless question... who knows?!

Hope not.. I'm 9475

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09911041)
    just thought about some everyday-life examples, i don't know if that is actually good.

first paragraph: definition for "rational" by describing how a judge comes to his decisions. (reasonable, without emotions, only evaluating facts) --> that means altogether "rational"

then as a bridge: if rational, then always reasonable, but also the other way around?

in the moment of the actual action, someone might say 'yes':
    example of a professional poker player(his job is basically to act reasonably to win long-term): he has to make a decision and is usually able to do that rationally since he is a professional.
    if he is affected by something else (e.g. so much money on the table or he has lost so much before or he doesn't like his opponent) if might start playing unreasonably.
    since he plays poker for a living and "has" to win the money back to buy something to eat etc. he sees this as the only chance to get to money and blanks out all other possibilites. he thinks he has a really good reason and is therefore acting rationally.

that is wrong. as defined before, he has to eveluate his situation by taking all possibilites into account and without any emotions.

therefore, it is not necessarily rational even if you have a good reason.

thats it. maybe i screwed this up? :eek3:

I think thats pretty much what I mentioned, but my one if of a poorer quality! you'll be fine dude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buffyboy)
    How many questions did people have to guess?

I guessed the two at the end becasue I ran out of time, I probably guesssed about 4 or 5 problem solving ones though to be honest... But they weren't totally random guesses...
    I guessed about 8-9 problem solving questions. oops

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Glad can finally talk about it.... I found the multiple choice relatively easy to be honest... Like none actually really threw me, and had enough time to go back to those where i had second thoughts about one of the other answers... Feeling confident =)

Did the Reason for actions making actions rational essay...

None of the essays really appealed to me, and kind of got through this okay.. spent about 5 mins rushing a general plan, ended up arguing that rationality is based upon perception and is not an absolutist answer, i.e. it can't simply be rational or irrational as some may think either way, utilizing examples of the London Tube shootings. Officers acted rationally to their situation, yet to others in the same situation it was an irrational action. Their reasoning was enough to make the action rational to them, and explanation in court provided people with enough reason to find their actions rational, hence were not prosecuted and the action was unchanged, therefore reasoning can make actions rational, but the rationality is only as credible as the reasoning itself and in the perception of people who with greater knowledge of reasoning would act in a similar manner.

ReputationRep:
    i remember guessing question 37. i believe that was the one about the tree obscuring the woman's view?

i just scratched D as i ran out of time. is that by any chance the right answer?
    also, what was the answer for the number of holidays the guy should get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mightyduck)
    I took the TSA in Germany (and yes, I am German) and was stunned at the number of absolute elite students who showed up there. Altough they were all really cool people.

I liked the multiple choice question for some reason, only messed up the very last question. Didn´t have a clue one that one but had a pretty precise idea on most of the others. Maths went brilliantly, the argument section is hard to judge for me.

I´d guess I will end up between 43-45, so I am definitely happy (got 43 in both specimen and 2008 paper).

I opted for the life expectancy thing..and well, I did my best but it´s definitely not anywhere near the excellence level.

Just hoping section 1 will keep me alive
    You joker :rofl:

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heinsmit)
    i remember guessing question 37. i believe that was the one about the tree obscuring the woman's view?

i just scratched D as i ran out of time. is that by any chance the right answer?
    also, what was the answer for the number of holidays the guy should get?
    had 60 for the holidays. just counted all the left days. probably missed out sth.

if D was 4.8 m then its probably right.

ReputationRep:
    Mmm, well looking at how I normally do on these tests and how yesterday's was, I think I got about 42...43? Writing question I didn't find too difficult- I worked through my answer; but probably won't have done very well because I haven't written any essays in about 4 months now. Guess we'll just have to wait and see...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09911041)
    had 60 for the holidays. just counted all the left days. probably missed out sth.

if D was 4.8 m then its probably right.
    i have no idea what D was, i think i read the word 'slow' next to it though. really didn't think about that question.

i think i mightve had 60, but then i realised you take into account you carry 5 days over every year, maximum. did you take that into account? i panicked at this point and just stuck on 35.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagikMonkey)
    For the life-expectancy question, my main points were basically:

1) Have to be supported by the State for a longer period of time.

2) Age of retirement may have to be raised.

3) Old-age illnesses may become more prevalent, burden on healthcare system.

4) Overpopulation, urban sprawl, high density apartments constructed, etc.

Then in terms of bull$**t to fill space:

1) People on fixed-rate pensions would be f***ed (I put it slightly more eloquently).

2) People might have more kids in the hope of financial + personal support in their old age.

Did anyone do anything drastically different or just get different points?
    This sounds really good!

I did the same question

At the time it seemed like a good idea to give a number of economic effects and some changes they would influence, like for example if birth rates remain constant overall population would increase, hence more pressure on resources, hence (if supply cannot respond ) higher prices and lowered standard of living for the majority of society.... but now I think this was the wrong way to approach it so really not sure. Also my conclusion was really rubbish 'overall most of the negative changes which life expectancy would induce can be countered, leaving many positives to look forward to' ...my whole essay was really 'fickle minded' as in i'd give different scenarios ... say if retirement age was compulsory -pressure on Govt finances; if compulsory retirement age was abolished - larger workforce, so either more growth or bigger official unemployment figures (if jobs cannot be provided quickly enough)..... ughh I think they were looking for something different than what I wrote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PGtips92)
    Could have done a lot better tbh. Have a mental block on almost all the questions except the granny one (I got 5) and the last one (didn't know so guessed). And I did Q.4 and talked about the positive and negative changes on society, mentioning taxes, immigration and the dependancy ratio; the grey pound, families relying more on them for babysitting etc, and new products and services directed at elderly. But dispite putting raise retirement age in my plan, I forgot to mention it.... but my essay went better than the multi choice.
    This is vv v v v good!

i really wish i had have done the age question i did the science one out of instinct, but i reallly could have made a more coherent argument for the age one, i read a report on aging populations in the economist few months ago damn it

ReputationRep:
    and hang on, was the granny one really 5? i looked very carefully and could only see 4... but for some reason i was looking at a different country for every day... perhaps that was specified in the question? cant really remember.

and for anyone else who wasnt reading above... question 37 (hedge one)... answer D by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's exactly what I did mate. Got an offer from a very nice university, was all set to go, then on the day of my results I though actually with 4 A's I think I'll try again, see if I can't go somewhere amazing.

I am going...

Fiji - coaching rugby for a month with Madventurer (mandatory PS enhancer)
    Australia for 6 weeks with some mates before going on to Thailand for another 6 weeks
    New Zealand - teaching skiing in South Island for 3 months.

Important thing to remember is that most of the selection process is done before you'd be thinking about going. Hence you can say what you like in your PS
    cheers, that sounds pretty good, I was considering this american thing where you can teach sport but it might be during exam time.
    Might just get a job/work experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elieshout)
    I did it like 1,6:7 equals x:20, and then worked it out. It had to be just over 4.5, so I chose the 4,8 one.
    What was the telephone bill one?
    Ahh you see, I did the same calc. but the woman said it couldn't be any higher as it would blocked her height. Therefore it had to be 4.2

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.