Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meliae)
    Did the USA question after several minutes just staring at the page, starting the Einstein one and changing my mind after one sentence. Think I went way off topic and said some fairly stupid things.

The multiple choice bit was disappointing. Definitely harder than the 2008 one which I got full marks on. =( It would've been fine but I read and work very slowly so I didn't finish. At the end, I shut the paper and just filled in boxes at random for the questions I had left without even reading them. I wasted way too much time on some of the problem solving questions just checking too much and doubting myself. Found the reasoning ones easy enough though. I hope they don't look at the TSA too much for EP...
    i did the usa question too my friend was doing her bmat at the same time and was complaining that she was sick of essays on what einstein said...i nearly laughed when i opened the essay paper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephens)
    I calculated 4.2.
    I'll show you my calculation, maybe I'm wrong:
    1,6:7 = X:20
    If two fractions equal eachother, you can cross-multiply them (I don't know the correct English term for this).
    1,6 x 20 = 7 x X
    32 = 7x
    32/7 = x
    Enter 32/7 into your calculator, or do it on a piece of paper as we had to do in the test, and you'll get 4,57....

ReputationRep:
    I very much agree that this test is harder than previous years. A couple of questions such as the rowing machine one I skipped to go back to, and then it took me so long to work out when I was near to the end that I had to just guess.

As for the one about the man's holidays, I got 25 days. If I recall correctly there were a MAXIMUM of 5 days that could be carried over each year, and he'd already used 5 days of holiday in the 10th year, so he only had the standard 25 days left. Can anyone confirm if they got anything similar?

I also recall the lorry question.

It looked a bit like this:

A B c
    \ | /
    X

and one of the routes was something like XABCBAX, so I reasoned that this couldn't be the shortest because you're needlessly going back on yourself when you've finished on C and could just go home.

I did the interventionism essay:

Introduction defining the concept. Could be claimed that Cold War conflicts e.g. Vietnam were H.Is, but really the term dates to post-Cold War conflicts e.g. Sierra Leone, Iraq.

- the USA is a democracy, and there is a wide democratic mandate for the death penalty. This lessens the case for humanitarian intervention in this circumstance even if we disagree with the death penalty. 'Social Contract', with wide polling support for death penalty, etc.

- Utilitarian argument - surely resources could be better used stopping greater harm to greater people, e.g. genocidal tyrants in africa

- Cultural/moral relativism. If we practise humanitarian interventionism, even if it is acceptable, we could provoke Iran invading us for our toleration of homosexuals, or the USA for our healthcare system.

Conclusion.

ReputationRep:
    What did people get on the kid with the bubble gum question?

ReputationRep:
    The more I read about the essays everyone wrote the more I'm sure mine is absolute toilet paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    Hopefully everyone will do so **** that they'll just have to interview us all as the results will clearly be way too unreliable
    Haha THIS If only!

The idea of getting rejected before interview is just.....depressing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izinku)
    Don't remember that one, what was the question?

ReputationRep:
    I think 11? Don't remember exactly....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elieshout)
    Kid gets given 1$ from his grandparents, wants to spend 50% on sweets Y at 5 cents each, atleast 25% of it on sweets Z at 2c/3c each, and the rest he will decide when he gets there.

I got 5-11.

i dont think i would liive it down in school if i dont get an interview, im like this years "hopeful" loads of pressure from teachers and all my mates rekon ill; get in i want an interview, just a god damn interview but noooo the TSA has to take it from me lol

ReputationRep:
    Kid gets given 1$ from his grandparents, wants to spend 50% on sweets Y at 5 cents each, atleast 25% of it on sweets Z at 2c/3c each, and the rest he will decide when he gets there.

I got 5-11.
    Oh that one.
    I also got 5-11, pretty sure about it as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elieshout)

some kid has $1 and wants to spend at least half on percy pigs, at least a quarter on say haribos and at least a tenth on bubble gum. one piece of bubble gum was 2c. what is the range of bubble gum pieces he can get

i was stuck between 5-11 and 6-12... i chose 5-11

he's definitely getting 5
    100/10 = 10p
    10p/2 = 5 pieces

and he has 15p left
    15/2= 7.5

so max 12 pieces. why was it 11?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trollman)
    i dont think i would liive it down in school if i dont get an interview, im like this years "hopeful" loads of pressure from teachers and all my mates rekon ill; get in i want an interview, just a god damn interview but noooo the TSA has to take it from me lol
    I soooo know that feeling, I'm one of two in my year applying at Oxbridge, and all my friends are absolutely sure I'll get in because the have absolutely no clue how competetive it is, and they're being all supportive and hopefull and if I don't get in it'll be bad, but not getting an interview would just be absolutely horrific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j1991)
    Whats more important essay section or multiple choice? What percentage would you need to secure an interview?
    Multiple choice is wayyy more important!

If you have good multiple choice, but bad essay = interview

if you have bad multiple choice, but good essay= no interview

that is a huge generalisation, but there is no doubt a lot more weighting is given to the multi-choice

ReputationRep:
    some kid has $1 and wants to spend at least half on percy pigs, at least a quarter on say haribos and at least a tenth on bubble gum. one piece of bubble gum was 2c. what is the range of bubble gum pieces he can get

100/10 = 10p
    10p/2 = 5 pieces

and he has 15p left
    15/2= 7.5

Think you're forgetting that 25 is not divisible by 2c.

ReputationRep:
    Think you're forgetting that 25 is not divisible by 2c.
    oh it is too. =12.5
    Since he cant buy half a piece, the maximum he can get is 12. No?

ReputationRep:

100/10 = 10p
    10p/2 = 5 pieces

and he has 15p left
    15/2= 7.5

i got 5-11.

Do you remember what you got for the rowing one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmuckle)
    I very much agree that this test is harder than previous years. A couple of questions such as the rowing machine one I skipped to go back to, and then it took me so long to work out when I was near to the end that I had to just guess.

As for the one about the man's holidays, I got 25 days. If I recall correctly there were a MAXIMUM of 5 days that could be carried over each year, and he'd already used 5 days of holiday in the 10th year, so he only had the standard 25 days left. Can anyone confirm if they got anything similar?

I also recall the lorry question.

It looked a bit like this:

A B c
    \ | /
    X

and one of the routes was something like XABCBAX, so I reasoned that this couldn't be the shortest because you're needlessly going back on yourself when you've finished on C and could just go home.

I did the interventionism essay:

Introduction defining the concept. Could be claimed that Cold War conflicts e.g. Vietnam were H.Is, but really the term dates to post-Cold War conflicts e.g. Sierra Leone, Iraq.

- the USA is a democracy, and there is a wide democratic mandate for the death penalty. This lessens the case for humanitarian intervention in this circumstance even if we disagree with the death penalty. 'Social Contract', with wide polling support for death penalty, etc.

- Utilitarian argument - surely resources could be better used stopping greater harm to greater people, e.g. genocidal tyrants in africa

- Cultural/moral relativism. If we practise humanitarian interventionism, even if it is acceptable, we could provoke Iran invading us for our toleration of homosexuals, or the USA for our healthcare system.

Conclusion.

Yeah I thought that about the man's holiday but wasn't 100% sure if it was a trick/sly question or not..

About the ABCX one... XABCBAX could have been the shortest route if c was the furthest place and a was the closest and he had to go past b/a to get back home when taking the shortest route

ReputationRep:
    oh it is too. =12.5
    Since he cant buy half a piece, the maximum he can get is 12. No?
    We'll need the exact figures for how much each piece cost to answer your question.

The key to the question was atleast. Hence he will not buy 24c worth, (12), because thats not atleast 25% of $1. He'll buy 26c worth, so 13.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    i got 5-11.

Do you remember what you got for the rowing one?
    what was the question?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.