Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    only one i REALLY didn't get was the one about kids underperforming in tests. i was like....wtf so I just guessed and said anything. Other than that I was fairly happy with them. I'm **** at problem solving though so it was more that part of it that concerned me.

Did anyone else feel like there loads more problem solving qs than usual?
    yes :/

ReputationRep:
    only one i REALLY didn't get was the one about kids underperforming in tests. i was like....wtf so I just guessed and said anything. Other than that I was fairly happy with them. I'm **** at problem solving though so it was more that part of it that concerned me.

Did anyone else feel like there loads more problem solving qs than usual?
    The underperformance one was a trick question. The definition of average the middle score. Therefore, half is going to perform under this and half higher, it's just how average works.
    Officially there are always 25 problem solving and 25 critical thinking ones, I didn't count but it shouldn't be any different this time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heinsmit)
    pyramid, i put c having looked at it for 10 seconds so let's hope
    Was it the one with the colours? I didint find that difficult :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elieshout)
    The underperformance one was a trick question. The definition of average the middle score. Therefore, half is going to perform under this and half higher, it's just how average works.
    Yeah that's what I put.

ReputationRep:
    Officially there are always 25 problem solving and 25 critical thinking ones, I didn't count but it shouldn't be any different this time.
    Haha yeah, I read that and laughed :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Haha I remember that... Since whatever the performance average is, "nearlly half" (just under 50%) will always get below average just by deffinition.

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed the Metallica question. I got T, which was option D.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izinku)
    Was it the one with the colours? I didint find that difficult :lolwut:
    Same. It was pretty easy to visualise.

ReputationRep:
    I got that too. I think. what was the question again?

ReputationRep:
    I think I got that. The one on the right hand side of the map?

ReputationRep:
    I got that too. I think. what was the question again?
    It gave you a map with the roads between different towns which were named as letters and then you were asked to find which letter represented town Iron I think lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rophy)
    i did the usa question too my friend was doing her bmat at the same time and was complaining that she was sick of essays on what einstein said...i nearly laughed when i opened the essay paper!
    Weird, I thought exactly the same - my friend doing bmat was also complaining about all the einstein questions. I was hoping for psychology questions like last year. It threw me a bit when I opened the paper.

ReputationRep:
    Same. It was pretty easy to visualise.
    Was the answer by any chance the bottem right one then? I.e. E?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    I think I got that. The one on the right hand side of the map?

Yes the one in the far right.

ReputationRep:
    "1/2 on percy pigs = 50p on percy pigs
    1/4 on haribo = 25p on haribo
    1/10 on gum = 10p on gum"

Is that what the question said?

I took the TSA in the US and they changed the sweets to ones that Americans would understand. I wonder how other questions differ...

ReputationRep:
    Oh I got something ridiculous for that, cant remember the value though. I did rough ratios. and you?
    I did rough ratios as well...forget the exact answer, but I didn't notice any trick- only one of the last rows had X for the first 100m and Y for the rest or something? Was that the trick....? Or was there something else?

ReputationRep:
    For Multiple Guess think we should consolidate a main list of the questions people are asking about and explanations as to the answers... General gist I'm getting at the moment, not remembering the actual letters of answers:

Wheel rotation question = 1 of large wheel

Garden hedge blocking flats = 4.8

Phone bill = Bellaphone

Man's Holidays = 20 as is a maximum, not cumulative carry-over, he has taken 5 already, yet has 5 carried over from the year before and on a 10th year he is allowed 20 days off for that year

Kid buying sweets from 1$ = 5 to 11

Distance man has to walk total distance with certain speed up hill and certain speed down hill = 6km

Granny public holiday = 5 days (there were 5 consecutive in either march or april i believe)

Extra money spent on water gardening, filling up butt from flat roof etc = 300 extra spent

Architects and train system = the one answer that had a station with 4 connections, have a feeling was D but not 100% of what diagram looked like either

Unsure About:

Hockey player rotation: seems to be a general consensus of 45.... (i put 55, fail)

Tiles on floor ratio to triangles: at time i worked out to be 1:18 but others seem to also be suggesting 1:15, any definiteness?

Lorry Driver Town distance: someone please explain, I put XABCBAX as seemed logical to me but if anyone has insight would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanton-12)
    For Multiple Guess think we should consolidate a main list of the questions people are asking about and explanations as to the answers... General gist I'm getting at the moment, not remembering the actual letters of answers:

Wheel rotation question = 1 of large wheel

Garden hedge blocking flats = 4.8

Phone bill = Bellaphone

Man's Holidays = 20 as is a maximum, not cumulative carry-over, he has taken 5 already, yet has 5 carried over from the year before and on a 10th year he is allowed 20 days off for that year

Kid buying sweets from 1$ = 5 to 11

Distance man has to walk total distance with certain speed up hill and certain speed down hill = 6km

Granny public holiday = 5 days (there were 5 consecutive in either march or april i believe)

Extra money spent on water gardening, filling up butt from flat roof etc = 300 extra spent

Architects and train system = the one answer that had a station with 4 connections, have a feeling was D but not 100% of what diagram looked like either

Unsure About:

Hockey player rotation: seems to be a general consensus of 45.... (i put 55, fail)

Tiles on floor ratio to triangles: at time i worked out to be 1:18 but others seem to also be suggesting 1:15, any definiteness?

Lorry Driver Town distance: someone please explain, I put XABCBAX as seemed logical to me but if anyone has insight would be appreciated.
    Sorry to quote myself, but Metallica question = T as correct answer which was D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marlowe92)
    I did rough ratios as well...forget the exact answer, but I didn't notice any trick- only one of the last rows had X for the first 100m and Y for the rest or something? Was that the trick....? Or was there something else?
    the trick was that (and im going to use example numbers)
    say he rowed

100 for the first one
    200 for the second one (that'd actually be 100, cause he didnt reset)
    and (I THINK he reset before the third one but not sure, but say he did)
    300 for the third one (we're told he reset after 500) so he did 800 altogether for the third one. 500 to one ratio and 300 for the second.

ReputationRep:
    I ballsed up both sections :p:
    Though I'm relieved to see that it wasn't just me who struggled - and actually, it's reassuring to see that I got more answers right than I thought (compared to other answers on here).

On the essay, I decided to go for the Einstein one (for some reason, no idea why :p: ). I started by saying that he is said to have lacked interpersonal intelligence, and that perhaps he failed to understand that 'everyday thinking' among the majority is not concerned with science. I also said that Einstein failed to appreciate that others were less interested and capable of abstract and theoretical thought, and that even though whole of science may come from everday events and observations, very few actually question why, and therefore, the whole of science does not originate from everyday thinking. It was written very badly and made me come across as if I thought the majority of people were idiots

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.