Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I put 1:18 for tiles , but very unsure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamstar)
    I ballsed up both sections :p:
    Though I'm relieved to see that it wasn't just me who struggled - and actually, it's reassuring to see that I got more answers right than I thought (compared to other answers on here).

On the essay, I decided to go for the Einstein one (for some reason, no idea why :p: ). I started by saying that he is said to have lacked interpersonal intelligence, and that perhaps he failed to understand that 'everyday thinking' among the majority is not concerned with science. I also said that Einstein failed to appreciate that others were less interested and capable of abstract and theoretical thought, and that even though whole of science may come from everday events and observations, very few actually question why, and therefore, the whole of science does not originate from everyday thinking. It was written very badly and made me come across as if I thought the majority of people were idiots
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanton-12)
    For Multiple Guess think we should consolidate a main list of the questions people are asking about and explanations as to the answers... General gist I'm getting at the moment, not remembering the actual letters of answers:

Wheel rotation question = 1 of large wheel

Garden hedge blocking flats = 4.8

Phone bill = Bellaphone

Man's Holidays = 20 as is a maximum, not cumulative carry-over, he has taken 5 already, yet has 5 carried over from the year before and on a 10th year he is allowed 20 days off for that year

Kid buying sweets from 1$ = 5 to 11

Distance man has to walk total distance with certain speed up hill and certain speed down hill = 6km

Granny public holiday = 5 days (there were 5 consecutive in either march or april i believe)

Extra money spent on water gardening, filling up butt from flat roof etc = 300 extra spent

Architects and train system = the one answer that had a station with 4 connections, have a feeling was D but not 100% of what diagram looked like either

Unsure About:

Hockey player rotation: seems to be a general consensus of 45.... (i put 55, fail)

Tiles on floor ratio to triangles: at time i worked out to be 1:18 but others seem to also be suggesting 1:15, any definiteness?

Lorry Driver Town distance: someone please explain, I put XABCBAX as seemed logical to me but if anyone has insight would be appreciated.
    Agree on most, comments:

I think I remember the man got 25 days each year when in his 10th year. That would make the final anwser 25. Does anyone know this?

The gardening water one, wasn't the question how much water she used in an average summer? Because I don't remember the price of buying water being in the question.

I thought the one with the train stations was C, but I'm not sure.

The hockey player one was definitly 45.

If we had the picture, maybe we could work out the hexagon question. Maybe someone with a nice photographic memory could reproduce it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izinku)
    I put 1:18 for tiles , but very unsure.
    I was going to put down 1:18, but thought that it didn't take overlap into account and secondguessed myself into 1:15

ReputationRep:
    For tiles, I went for 1:12
    I think I worked out that there were 24 triangles surrounding the hexagon (?) or something, and that each tile was used for 2 hexagons, thus 12 triangles per hexagon as a ratio. I imagine it's wrong though!

I ballsed up both sections :p:
    Though I'm relieved to see that it wasn't just me who struggled - and actually, it's reassuring to see that I got more answers right than I thought (compared to other answers on here).

On the essay, I decided to go for the Einstein one (for some reason, no idea why :p: ). I started by saying that he is said to have lacked interpersonal intelligence, and that perhaps he failed to understand that 'everyday thinking' among the majority is not concerned with science. I also said that Einstein failed to appreciate that others were less interested and capable of abstract and theoretical thought, and that even though whole of science may come from everday events and observations, very few actually question why, and therefore, the whole of science does not originate from everyday thinking. It was written very badly and made me come across as if I thought the majority of people were idiots
    I went down that line of thought lol saying when would a
    normal person walk down the street and begin to realise
    or even question quantum mechanics or the presence of black holes I also used the Einstein quote about imagination to back it up lol sayin that science is about thinking abstractly aswell as
    logically...

ReputationRep:
    the trick was that (and im going to use example numbers)
    say he rowed

100 for the first one
    200 for the second one (that'd actually be 100, cause he didnt reset)
    and (I THINK he reset before the third one but not sure, but say he did)
    300 for the third one (we're told he reset after 500) so he did 800 altogether for the third one. 500 to one ratio and 300 for the second.

Pretty sure it had the clause that he reset between sets, but also midway through 3rd set....
    I got the answer of 190

ReputationRep:
    :eek:
    Lmao, the more I think about it, the more I think I'm wrong!
    Oxford, here I come!!!

Not.

(Original post by trollman)
    I went down that line of thought lol saying when would a
    normal person walk down the street and begin to realise
    or even question quantum mechanics or the presence of black holes I also used the Einstein quote about imagination to back it up lol sayin that science is about thinking abstractly aswell as
    logically...
    At least I'm not the only one who thought this :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ahh Im so dumb, I could have just counted the tiles and done a ratio. (a rough one, but at least educated guess? )

ReputationRep:
    Lmao, the more I think about it, the more I think I'm wrong!
    Oxford, here I come!!!

Not.

At least I'm not the only one who thought this :p:
    LOL do not worry, you are not alone! I said that if people live longer prices will go up and we'll have a lower standard of living :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elieshout)
    Agree on most, comments:

I think I remember the man got 25 days each year when in his 10th year. That would make the final anwser 25. Does anyone know this?

The gardening water one, wasn't the question how much water she used in an average summer? Because I don't remember the price of buying water being in the question.

I thought the one with the train stations was C, but I'm not sure.

The hockey player one was definitly 45.

If we had the picture, maybe we could work out the hexagon question. Maybe someone with a nice photographic memory could reproduce it?
    Man with days holiday was either 20 or 25 for that year... i thought was 20 off memory, but i know I applied that logic to the correct one in the test so hoping that was right

Gardening one wasn't for amount of total water used, but for amount of excess mains water needed on top of the amount she got from the roof and butt.. price wasn't needed, just amount of mains used, sorry if i said that wrong before.

Train station one might have been, I wasn't sure on the letter, just know one map had a station with 4 connections which no others had so had to be wrong.

*cry about hockey one then*

i hated that hexagon one..

ReputationRep:
    LOL do not worry, you are not alone! I said that if people live longer prices will go up and we'll have a lower standard of living :lol:
    This made me literally lol :p:
    Oh well, what's done is done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musty129)
    Was the answer by any chance the bottem right one then? I.e. E?
    Not what I got.

ReputationRep:
    It gave you a map with the roads between different towns which were named as letters and then you were asked to find which letter represented town Iron I think lol.
    Ah yes, I got T. As the only other option it could've been turned out to be silver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musty129)
    Yeah I thought that about the man's holiday but wasn't 100% sure if it was a trick/sly question or not..

About the ABCX one... XABCBAX could have been the shortest route if c was the furthest place and a was the closest and he had to go past b/a to get back home when taking the shortest route
    Hmmm no I'm sure the question stated that there was a direct route from X to A, B and C. Therefore it can't be the shortest route because he could have gone straight from C to X but instead went via A and B.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    Ah yes, I got T. As the only other option it could've been turned out to be silver.
    I thinkkkkk I picked C for the pyramid one. Or B. Cant remember :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Ahh Im so dumb, I could have just counted the tiles and done a ratio. (a rough one, but at least educated guess? )
    That was the first thought that came to my mind when I saw it, but then quickly realised if I could work out a small section which was a repeating pattern, then it would be much quicker to calculate

(Original post by rmorrison12)
    How many people did the question on reason and rationality? all the others seemed absolutely horrible. I wrote about how rationality seemed to be more objective, based on what society viewed to be reasonable whereas reason is more subjective and a result of the thought processes of the individual. So what we might call irrational behaviour is the result of faulty or unusual reasoning. Also said a bit about how you can be reasonable without being rational... something about living between two supermarkets and having no rational reason to pick one over the other and therefore rationality would dictate starving to be the only solution, so an irrational method like tossing a coin would be reasonable.
    *suddenly feels even more pessimistic about how rubbish my essay was*
    I tried to say that to make an action rational, the reasoning has to be logical and relevant, providing the best solution to the problem/decision.
    If the reason was not logical then that wouldn't make it rational, just for the sake of giving a reason. had some other ideas, but I just couldn't think of any examples to use at all.. it waffled too much, and had practically no structure, I went completely blank for the essay and was practically panicking for about 10 mins. I'm hoping they'll be kind and remember I haven't studied philosophy before :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wishingonastar)
    That was the first thought that came to my mind when I saw it, but then quickly realised if I could work out a small section which was a repeating pattern, then it would be much quicker to calculate
    well yes that would be the correct approach but the problem was that I couldnt identify the section :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmuckle)
    Hmmm no I'm sure the question stated that there was a direct route from X to A, B and C. Therefore it can't be the shortest route because he could have gone straight from C to X but instead went via A and B.

Lol u know what.. I think you're right

Misreading the question gets me again

ReputationRep:
    well yes that would be the correct approach but the problem was that I couldnt identify the section :lol:
    hahaha! yes, it was quite hard.. not to worry

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.