Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey Clements, could you add me?

I'm applying for PPE and Economics & Management at Univeristy College Oxford.
    For those that didn't know this, you can ask to be considered for both if you apply to Univ.

Which college is generally considered the hardest to get into for PPE/E&M?

ReputationRep:
    My college is St. Anne's, so you can add that to your list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eager PPe ist)

For those that didn't know this, you can ask to be considered for both if you apply to Univ.

I guess the one with the least places? :dontknow:

Oxford's pooling system doesn't really make one college harder to get into than another. It's all relative on the other applicants that are applying.

ReputationRep:

I'm not the OP - Graphix is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caerus)
    Seems to be, I still can't believe she was trying to sell a non-rival good that she'd obviously just pinched from somewhere; appalling.
    I know :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Is PPE more difficult to get into than E&M, I heard that PPE is generally more respected given that many PM's and MP's are former PPE grads,

is that true?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Gov&Econ @ LSE but i reckon E&M is better for employment in the city and business; but PPE probably has the edge when it comes to civil service and politics.

PPE is more "known" than E&M, some would say that the "M" bit of the course makes it less traditional and therefore less valuable... I would be happy to do both, Oxford is Oxford after all!

ReputationRep:
    Is PPE more difficult to get into than E&M, I heard that PPE is generally more respected given that many PM's and MP's are former PPE grads,

is that true?
    PPE is the Oxford course, but then again Economics and Management is incredibly competitive as well. I didnt know you can apply to both....does it take up two choices? Could you link me to the source please

ReputationRep:

is that true?
    Statistically, E&M has a lower applicants/offers ratio, but that's often put down to a lot of sub-standard applicants.

Personally, I'd say PPE is harder, as the quality of candidates is supposed to be better.. :o:

ReputationRep:

is that true?
    I applied for PPE at Oxford and was rejected post interview, but i do think that PPE is probably more respected around the world. In the US people have all heard of Oxford and some have even heard of PPE, no one has heard of E&M.

That is purely prestige though, that's not to say that E&M is not as good, i'm sure its just as challenging, perhaps its more quantitative given it seems to have less essay-ish subjects.

As for difficulty to get into... I guess E&M has less places so perhaps when you crunch the numbers it may be a little harder to get into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izinku)
    PPE is the Oxford course, but then again Economics and Management is incredibly competitive as well. I didnt know you can apply to both....does it take up two choices? Could you link me to the source please
    I agree, PPE ists will probably be of a higher calibre...

Well, it used to be on the website but its not anymore, the webiste says it doesnt admit people for e&m but on the oxford form i'm filling out it clearly says you can be considered for both...maybe the webiste is more up to date though

ReputationRep:
    I agree, PPE ists will probably be of a higher calibre...

Well, it used to be on the website but its not anymore, the webiste says it doesnt admit people for e&m but on the oxford form i'm filling out it clearly says you can be considered for both...maybe the webiste is more up to date though
    What form are you filling in.........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnKennedy)
    I applied for PPE at Oxford and was rejected post interview, but i do think that PPE is probably more respected around the world. In the US people have all heard of Oxford and some have even heard of PPE, no one has heard of E&M.

That is purely prestige though, that's not to say that E&M is not as good, i'm sure its just as challenging, perhaps its more quantitative given it seems to have less essay-ish subjects.

As for difficulty to get into... I guess E&M has less places so perhaps when you crunch the numbers it may be a little harder to get into.
    I'm just wondering how did you get that internship at TIME, sounds interesting, also do Oxford re-interview people?

I agree PPE is THE oxford course. From Rupert Murdoch to David Cameron. Bet hey, i just wanna be a rich city banker so 'im happy at LSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    E&M here - Hertford
    (Original post by moreiniho)
    My college is St. Anne's, so you can add that to your list.
    Done!
    I think this used to be the case a year or two but on the Univ website it definitely says now that you don't admit students for E&M anymore... :confused:

ReputationRep:

univ doesn't admit E&M anymore.

you can add me to exeter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trollman)
    you can add me to exeter
    Cool cool!

ReputationRep:
    Brasenose E&M for me

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for St. Peters btw...

I'm thinking I might do some like really basic arithmatic work - I didn't work very hard in primary school and don't know my times tables! I just think maybe getting sharper with quick division etc and mulitplication may help things... Anyone have an opinion on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buffyboy)
    I'm applying for St. Peters btw...

I'm thinking I might do some like really basic arithmatic work - I didn't work very hard in primary school and don't know my times tables! I just think maybe getting sharper with quick division etc and mulitplication may help things... Anyone have an opinion on this?
    Same :five: . That's really all I'm doing to prepare for the TSA. It's really all you can do.. :o:

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.